Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Name your character/ships/stations/etc.

Soler wrote:I agree with Katorone, but maybe go in the direction of tags or labels rather than completely renaming things. You could possibly keep notes on systems or planets with whatever information you want to include with that entity.
Smart! +1
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Soler wrote:I agree with Katorone, but maybe go in the direction of tags or labels rather than completely renaming things. You could possibly keep notes on systems or planets with whatever information you want to include with that entity.
I think this will be a must. I've stated before that I want to give you a lot of tools for organizing your exploration of the universe, since it's a big place! Also, my primary in-game profession will probably be explorer/scout, so you can bet that I'm going to flesh related features out ;)

And of course, I have always been of the opinion that assets should be custom nameable. As for renaming other peoples' assets, I'm not too fond of the idea, but I think tagging them with notes is a good trade-off :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:As for renaming other peoples' assets, I'm not too fond of the idea, but I think tagging them with notes is a good trade-off :)
Oh, I do like this, especially if it can be linked to a player journal/library or something like. That way I can be reminded that the "Fair Trade Station" is where a bunch of sharks ripped me off to the tune of 1000 credits, as my journal notes for the place include words I don't use in polite company!

Soler wrote:Well you could filter systems/entities based on tags you have set. So if you filter based on "iron ore" it will highlight all of the systems with that tag in the vicinity or area you are viewing, and from there you can select individual entities to view more in-depth notes about it.
Cool idea :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Soler wrote:Well you could filter systems/entities based on tags you have set. So if you filter based on "iron ore" it will highlight all of the systems with that tag in the vicinity or area you are viewing, and from there you can select individual entities to view more in-depth notes about it.
Cool idea :)
Uh... please also auto-add auto-tags. So when you come around a base selling iron ore please make the ships computer remember it!!
When I'm flying around drunk or late at night I could have marked 'ion ogre' or 'ore of iroon' and later when I need it I won't find it with the search function.

Also please don't do fuzzy search here!
You just searched for 'iron oge'. Did you mean 'Ion Ogre?
:shock:

It sounds like the game world will have all objects in a game-specific database of some kind. It also makes sense that you'll have a certain amount of knowledge about all of these (which will vary, depending on what you find out), so that knowledge would also be linked to the relevant database entity. This could include any annotations you wish to add.

If the HUD can display augmented reality, that could include information about, say, a station that's visible through it. Rather than clutter up the HUD with reams of text, it should likely be limited to a few icons representing certain categories of knowledge. However, it should then be a click away from looking up the full details in your journal/library which contains all information you have on everything, including the annotations. The library would be your "front end" to the information in the game database. The HUD icons could include a flashing red one for "Important - look up notes before approaching", in case you need reminded of a reason to avoid or to handle in a certain way.

The adding of annotations would be done in the journal/library by some appropriate method, although normal information could be added automatically as you make discoveries. There are some ideas about a library here. I reckon the journal and library should be different, albeit linked; the journal should include entries relevent to you, such as missions and status, whereas the library would contain information about the universe. There could be all sorts of settable preferences dealing with filtering and displaying the info.

Basically what I am envisioning is something akin to the command interface from the dev update video. You would have your search ui and filters overlaying the holographic map view and as you filter results, entities highlight or become selected based on your query, you could also include the results as a list if you dont want to utilize the map, or if there are too many results. once you select an entity, if brings up a more detailed description of it and any notes you have, and from there you can set waypoints, communicate, etc. It just seems like a cool and intuitive way to cluster the data in a way that is simple for the user.

As far as the drunken tags, when you create a tag, you can just choose to use that existing tag for other things so that you aren't retyping or mistyping it all the time. I also agree with the no fuzzy search.

Online Now