Return to “General”

Re: Features in Limit Theory

Its the internet, I can't see you XD.

Also, I don't mind. I am "bleeding" you guys dry for information after all.

EDIT: Bit hungry atm, so I'm going to go eat lunch before I finish sorting the list out.

EDIT2:

Clarification on Question 11: Massive Orbital Stations, Battle Moons, and Death Stars.
-> By Massive, I imply at least 5 to 10 KM across (though a Battle Moon or Death Star would be likely 100s of KM across, considering that the largest Ship, the Super Star Destroyer was about 10+ KM long, and the Death Star dwarfed it by several factors)
-> Also, the whole purpose of a Death Star or Battle Moon would be so that the Station could move, like a ship; I don't think stations in their current state can move.

Doomknight wrote: Clarification on Question 11: Massive Orbital Stations, Battle Moons, and Death Stars.
-> By Massive, I imply at least 5 to 10 KM across (though a Battle Moon or Death Star would be likely 100s of KM across, considering that the largest Ship, the Super Star Destroyer was about 10+ KM long, and the Death Star dwarfed it by several factors)
from what i know the current size difference (lenght wise) from smallest to biggest ship is about 10k from what i remember right now

so for 1m details you can get a 10km ship

(the dimensions of the second death star are not even consistent on the wookiepedia, either 160km or 900km, choose one)
Doomknight wrote: -> Also, the whole purpose of a Death Star or Battle Moon would be so that the Station could move, like a ship; I don't think stations in their current state can move.

build a big ship, does the same

stations cannot move, yes.
they are fixed objects in the game to enable them to be much bigger than ships

Cornflakes_91 wrote:i just realise that i must look like an asshole
If I had more room in my signature, I'd add this. :lol:
Doomknight wrote:Alrighty. I'll chip away at consolidating it into an easily readable bunch of Q and A. The main post will likely be a bit dirty while I copy + paste responses to the main post.
If you do, I may just rip it and add it to the FAQ, or at least link from there.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Okay finally finished sorting questions and made it nice and easy to read in a Q: and A: format. If there is anything someone wants to add (especially Josh as there is a lot of Maybe and Probably answers), then please mention it here and I'll update them.

However, some new questions:

51) Will there be a way to fool our opponent's sensors with false sensor readings? (ie if the Scanner can pick up specific signals and identify them as this or that, could you make your opponent think you were something else, like say a space station compared to a freighter?)

52) Will there be Jamming equipment to prevent the use of Missiles and/or scanners or communications equipment?

53) Can we "accidently" warp-frag enemies or allies when coming out of warp? (think "tele-fragging" in First Person Shooters)

54) Will there be mini-jump drive equipment that will allow us to make short-ranged jumps (ie the Riker Maneuver) and cover great distances quickly?

55) Will ships need to charge up their jump drives / warp drives (or w/e they are called) before they can use them?

56) If Asteroids could be destroyed, do you think one could bore a hole through an asteroid and use it as a tunnel?

57) Can we hack into enemy missiles and turn them against the one who originally shot them?

58) Can we hack into enemy ships in general? (ie take control of a ship that isn't ours)

59) Can we mask our identity of our ship to make it seem like we are an ally of a faction when in fact we are an enemy (very useful if pirating)

60) Will there be a black market for stolen goods acquired via pirating?

61) Can we fly into a star and blow up or will we not be able to get close to a star?

62) Can we get cooked by a star (if we can visit one) if we get too close to it?

63) Can we fly into a planet and blow up, or we will automatically land at the nearest base?

64) Will starship carriers exist in this game?

65) Can a starbase launch fighters to defend itself?

66) Can a starbase call for help, meaning that it will get reinforcements?

67) Can a starbase build fighters on the fly?

68) Will we be able to hide near a magnetic pole of a planet thus hiding us from sensors?

69) Will we be able to hide near a star thus hiding us from sensors?

70) Can we drain the energy supplies from other ships?

71) Can we teleport resources off of another ship (ie pirating a freighter)

All for now. Will update the list once these get answered.

Doomknight wrote:
51) Will there be a way to fool our opponent's sensors with false sensor readings? (ie if the Scanner can pick up specific signals and identify them as this or that, could you make your opponent think you were something else, like say a space station compared to a freighter?)
Hopefully, the current sensor system implementation suggests like it would be possible.
Doomknight wrote: 52) Will there be Jamming equipment to prevent the use of Missiles and/or scanners or communications equipment?
Nothing definite by josh, hopefully
Doomknight wrote: 53) Can we "accidently" warp-frag enemies or allies when coming out of warp? (think "tele-fragging" in First Person Shooters)

I think no, because it would be a random, frustrating death for the player.
Doomknight wrote: 54) Will there be mini-jump drive equipment that will allow us to make short-ranged jumps (ie the Riker Maneuver) and cover great distances quickly?
You can use your normal jumpdrive that way, but it would likely be a big waste of energy
Doomknight wrote: 55) Will ships need to charge up their jump drives / warp drives (or w/e they are called) before they can use them?
You can use them with your whole reactor output, but thats likely not enough to generate a wormhole big enough for yourself.
So you need capacitors to temporarily increase your energy output to jump.
And those capacitors need to be charged.
for reference
Doomknight wrote: 56) If Asteroids could be destroyed, do you think one could bore a hole through an asteroid and use it as a tunnel?
No real time mesh deforming
Doomknight wrote: 57) Can we hack into enemy missiles and turn them against the one who originally shot them?

58) Can we hack into enemy ships in general? (ie take control of a ship that isn't ours)
very unlikely and unlikely.
Doomknight wrote: 59) Can we mask our identity of our ship to make it seem like we are an ally of a faction when in fact we are an enemy (very useful if pirating)
I'd enjoy that, but from what we know right now no.
some post on that
sensor knowledge and suggestions
Doomknight wrote: 60) Will there be a black market for stolen goods acquired via pirating?
Thats a normal market, jusz one where stolen goods get sold
Doomknight wrote: 61) Can we fly into a star and blow up or will we not be able to get close to a star?

62) Can we get cooked by a star (if we can visit one) if we get too close to it?

63) Can we fly into a planet and blow up, or we will automatically land at the nearest base?
Your ship will get damage and will explode
Doomknight wrote: 64) Will starship carriers exist in this game?
They already do
Doomknight wrote: 65) Can a starbase launch fighters to defend itself?
you can dock to stations, why should the station not be able to lauch fighters?
:roll:
Doomknight wrote: 66) Can a starbase call for help, meaning that it will get reinforcements?
yes
Doomknight wrote: 67) Can a starbase build fighters on the fly?
Where should ships come from else :roll:
Doomknight wrote: 68) Will we be able to hide near a magnetic pole of a planet thus hiding us from sensors?
Nope, but nice idea
Doomknight wrote: 69) Will we be able to hide near a star thus hiding us from sensors?
Likely
Doomknight wrote: 70) Can we drain the energy supplies from other ships?
Unlikely
Doomknight wrote: 71) Can we teleport resources off of another ship (ie pirating a freighter)
Maybe with a transfer beam
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

To add on to Cornflakes' current round of answers;

Warp drives are still HOTLY debated. As of right now, we don't know one way or another (numbers 54 & 55).

As for asteroid boring, there might be a pseudo way of doing it. Asteroid bases are already in the game, so I would think there is some functionality there for something similar. I don't know how real-time it'll be or if you just plop a base into one, but there will be something regarding that.

As for a 'black market', there are a few other topics talking about it right now here.

What it comes down to, is what is considered 'illegal' in more of a metaphorical sense. Who defines illegal? The governing agency of a particular area (which in itself is procedural) as well as how they consider something illegal in the first place. This is a big issue and I would recommend that thread rather than dragging it into this one.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:To add on to Cornflakes' current round of answers;

Warp drives are still HOTLY debated. As of right now, we don't know one way or another (numbers 54 & 55).
In defence: josh has approved my general idea, so i'd guess that JD's will at least be pretty similar to it.

And with the general idea that ship mounted jumpdrives seem to be something rare and special (at least from what i read between the lines from josh's statements) i guess JD's will not be a common sight for in-system usage.

Whats the difference between a Warp Drive and a Jump Drive, gameplay mechanics wise?

In most sci-fi genres one could use Warp Drive or Jump Drive interchangeably. Its just that Star Trek has Warp Drives, and other genres have Jump Drives or FTL Drives, etc... But in practice they all seem to do the same thing; warp-space time in some way to allow long-distance travel in a short period of time (where time is relative to the ship). Or am I missing something?

If we go with Freelancer, then think of one drive being more like a cruise drive, where you have a high speed, other systems are powered down, but you can go much faster than your top speed.

The other would allow you to make 'jumps'. Jumps in general have been frowned upon by other vocal members of our community for MANY different reasons (FAR too many threads to link here, but it is definitely worth a search). This is why it is hotly debated.

And until release cornflakes, I'm not going to consider those drives canon as it has a lot of issues regarding it. Yeah, there are some good ideas out there, but too much theorycrafting over something that Josh has been mostly silent about.

Online Now