Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: How is LTSL written?

lithander wrote:Writing a small interpreted scripting language isn't as hard as it sounds. I'm sure doing it from scratch is more fun then wrestling with a bison.^^ But the way he added not only a hot-loading custom scripting engine but also a full fledged, meticulously polished code editor that seamlessly integrates with the game app blows me away. Is that custom written too? It looks so beautiful!
No sir! I can take no credit for the editor, other than writing a nice .vimrc and syntax highlighting scheme for it :)

The editor is the almighty vim! :monkey:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:No sir! I can take no credit for the editor, other than writing a nice .vimrc and syntax highlighting scheme for it :)

The editor is the almighty vim! :monkey:
Maybe it's because I'm a Linux noob but it looked like the editor was a part of the game application. :? So what we've actually seen were two seperate applications running in window mode where the editor (or in other parts of the video the shell) would be on top of the fullscreen game window?

lithander wrote:So what we've actually seen were two seperate applications running in window mode where the editor (or in other parts of the video the shell) would be on top of the fullscreen game window?
</lurk>
Yeah, awesome did that part of the magic. LT was probably actually in fullscreen mode, but awesome has a weird concept of that. Or maybe not weird, just different.
<lurk>

Scroey wrote:
lithander wrote:So what we've actually seen were two seperate applications running in window mode where the editor (or in other parts of the video the shell) would be on top of the fullscreen game window?
</lurk>
Yeah, awesome did that part of the magic. LT was probably actually in fullscreen mode, but awesome has a weird concept of that. Or maybe not weird, just different.
<lurk>
^ That.

LT was in fullscreen, the workspace was in 'no layout' mode (or whatever you call that, where the windows are free to move and position like a typical window manager). But fullscreen in awesome doesn't mean you can't alt-tab to another application and have it overlaid on the fullscreen app, which is what was going on there. I was just alt-tabbing to gvim and back again. Personally I think awesome handles fullscreen the sensible way :)

aspman wrote:Josh at the end of video 20 as it fades out you appear to be coding in the code window at the same time as flying the ship in the background window - i don't see how that is possible! was the ship on autopilot, or video trickery or some other explainable thing?
Multitasking like a boss? :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

aspman wrote:Josh at the end of video 20 as it fades out you appear to be coding in the code window at the same time as flying the ship in the background window - i don't see how that is possible! was the ship on autopilot, or video trickery or some other explainable thing?
:P

At the very end I was fading several clips from the update into each other, so there were multiple pieces of footage that you had already seen blended into one. Unfortunately I've not yet reached the level where I can pilot and code at the same time :lol:

Flatfingers wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting to let an AI pilot do the driving for part of an update video, while you modify behavior through coding at the same time?
Yes. Yes it would. Frankly there are so many interesting ideas to explore with the LT AI it's a little bit nauseating :shock: :(

JoshParnell wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting to let an AI pilot do the driving for part of an update video, while you modify behavior through coding at the same time?
Yes. Yes it would. Frankly there are so many interesting ideas to explore with the LT AI it's a little bit nauseating :shock: :(
:lol: You literally had me laughing out loud at that one.

Combinatorial explosion-induced nausea -- only in LT. :sick: :thumbup:

JoshParnell wrote:
Now there is a cool gameplay element.. get AI player from A to B, navigating obstacles using LTSL code! :) :thumbup:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

If you have an autopilot, that's the very same thing as an "AI NPC" flying your ship.

Just run this AI script instead of that (more basic) AI script.

X3 does the same thing.
If you order your own ship "autopilot" to fly to Jave Station, the exact same thing happens as if Split Energy Trader Ho'ts Hit decided to fly to Jave Station.
Same script, same arguments.

Maybe your "autopilot NPC" who is technically executing the script is of the stupid kind and can't use the script's advanced features. That is the only difference you need.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:Nope.
Exact same AI script. Same arguments.
Is the only difference then the point where the player exists the portals, so that the rest of the path is offset from that?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Online Now