Return to “Technical”

LTS Editor

Hey, I'm usually just a lurker but, as an aspiring game dev myself, I find myself quite curious what you're using for the script editor in LT? I'm really guessing you didn't write a full syntax-highlighted vim-like code editor from scratch just for your game? Nobody can code that fast. Nobody!
I'm learning game programming and blogging about my progress: http://nathanridley.com
Re: LTS Editor

axefrog wrote:Hey, I'm usually just a lurker but, as an aspiring game dev myself, I find myself quite curious what you're using for the script editor in LT? I'm really guessing you didn't write a full syntax-highlighted vim-like code editor from scratch just for your game? Nobody can code that fast. Nobody!
Hi, axefrog -- welcome to the Limit Theory forums!

You might find the @JP: what VIM configuration are you using? thread has what you're looking for.

axefrog wrote:I'm really guessing you didn't write a full syntax-highlighted vim-like code editor from scratch just for your game? Nobody can code that fast. Nobody!
Maybe, but somebody could certainly plug in an open source one that already exists for exactly that purpose. Not that he did.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

axefrog wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that he did use an external editor library. Josh is good, and I know he gets a lot done, but coding up that editor would take at least a couple of months, even for a ninja rockstar 10X coder.
from what i know it was not even "in" lt, but he just used the alt+tab friendliness of LT and had VIM in the background or superimposed over the LT window

Hang on... I'm sure you guys are missing something here. Check out time signature 31:04 on the video for update #20. The editor is *inside* an application host window that Josh has set up. Up the top I see tabs for: code, build, sys, net and music. When Josh switches to graphical views, all of these are perfectly contained within the same frame/view that the editor is contained within.

Josh, could you weigh in on your slick application shell? :)

Are you using some kind of library to display a linux shell inside your application? What are the implications of this with regards to Windows and Mac builds of the game? Also, on a side note, are you rendering the tabs and frame border with OpenGL as well, or is that something native to Linux?
I'm learning game programming and blogging about my progress: http://nathanridley.com

Cornflakes_91 wrote:but i dont know if awesome gives josh that functionality, though
I don't know either... But Josh being awesome sure helps! :thumbup:
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Online Now