Return to “Technical”

Re: Steam Key Scammers

Or have the keys for LT to be time-limited (eg. 13 days or some arbitrary number).
Legitimate reviewers can always request more keys to perform extensive reviews and would help to filter the wheat from the chaff.

Also, the game will reach all audiences and will backfire on those unscrupulous people when they realise they don't have a full game key.

Is it worthwhile to have these reviewer keys to talk back to a central server to ensure they expire and prevent kiddie hackers from reverse engineering LT code?
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

FormalMoss wrote:Or have the keys for LT to be time-limited (eg. 13 days or some arbitrary number).
Legitimate reviewers can always request more keys to perform extensive reviews and would help to filter the wheat from the chaff.

Also, the game will reach all audiences and will backfire on those unscrupulous people when they realise they don't have a full game key.

Is it worthwhile to have these reviewer keys to talk back to a central server to ensure they expire and prevent kiddie hackers from reverse engineering LT code?
After reading both Katawa's and Flatfingers' post, ultimately you could end up playing whack-a-mole your entire life. There are a few things that are almost guaranteed to happen (as with just about any software release); the game will end up on a torrent site and there will be keys given out for requests that may become unscrupulous. If it was a perfect world with no deception, both can be great in the right way, but I think if you're having to put more than a few moments thought into it, there might be some other bigger issue at play.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

FormalMoss wrote:Or have the keys for LT to be time-limited (eg. 13 days or some arbitrary number).
This sounds good but is even worse, because people who resell the keys don't care about your audience, so they will sell them regardless and now a customer has a game they paid for that cuts them off.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Katorone wrote:Get Valve to validate accounts used by "celebrities". :)
If they are genuine they could just send an email from their youtube account
Except, like Baine says, a lot of youtubers have their YT messaging disabled because of spam and other nastiness.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Doesnt that only apply to receiving? Sending should work, or?
I'm not sure how the messaging system on YT works. But with the current system, a key would be sent as a reply to a request.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Online Now