Return to “Games”

Torment: Tides of Numenara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd43NYBzHuk

Not bad for pre-alpha.

OK, that was a bit tongue in cheek. I am unabashedly hyped about this game (even if it is unlikely to be released before 2016).

I like the retro interface, the walls of text, the voice acting and the music. And I love the way they combine the various elements into an atmospheric whole.

Sure, the running animation (especially on the stairs) needs tweaking, the fluttering cape and cloak were altogether apropos however. (Maybe it is simply because I am a Torment fanboy) but to my prejudiced eyes that video was almost mesmeric.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.
Re: Torment: Tides of Numenara

I'm looking forward to this game as well. Even backed it on kickstarter.
I haven't been following development closely, but I'm looking forward to some free time when I can immerse myself in a story like this.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:Can't agree with this enough. Baldur's Gate was "meh" for me, but Planescape Torment really hit the spot. :D
PS:T is my favorite cRPG to date with some of the very best writing that can be found in games. It features an interesting and thoughtful narrative but above that it has great characters with deep and meaningful dialogue trees that feel organic to the story that unfolds before the player.

Unlike you, Kotarone, I rather liked the Baldur Gate saga as well. It is true that its plot was not nearly as interesting as Torment - I have a number of reservations about the Forgotten Realms setting - however, BioWare did well with providing diverting NPCs and building up the scope and variety of gameplay as the series progressed. In Baldur's Gate II (Shadows of Amn) NPC interaction, character customization, and combat tactics all took a step forward from the original game. It is perhaps unfortunate that, due to a variety of factors, BioWare rushed out the conclusion to the series. Had they taken the time to improve its scope and properly pace it, Throne of Bhaal could have been a truly epic climax.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

I liked those parts as well in Baldur's Gate. There are a few factors that limited my experience with the game however. I'm not a native english speaker, and was young when BG came out. Which meant I couldn't really understand the story very well. So for me it was a turn based combat game with numbers and a lot of text.
In hindsight BG was genius. I didn't want to say that BG was anything but, it's just that my experience of it was "meh".
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Online Now