Return to “Technical”

Requirements for Linux version of LT

Josh, I'd like to get a proper overview of what the external requirements of LT are on Linux. As a FreeBSD nerd I'd love to be able to run it on FreeBSD, and potentially create a port for it when/if you make a freely distributable demo/lite version.

I'm looking for what OS level requirements and 3rd party library requirements do you need?
procedurally generated comment
Re: Requirements for Linux version of LT

That's a good point. Would be nice to know what machine Josh uses.
Just hour ago I ordered parts for my SteamBox which I plan to use for LT. I chose rather affordable components - i5 4570S, GTX 750Ti and 8GB ram. On some threads people said i3 with built-in HD4000 should be enough though some nvidia card is recommended, so I think it's safe to assume that my build will be more than capable to run LT at 1080p ...if not someone please correct me fast while I can still cancel the order. :)

Solith wrote:That's a good point. Would be nice to know what machine Josh uses.
Just hour ago I ordered parts for my SteamBox which I plan to use for LT. I chose rather affordable components - i5 4570S, GTX 750Ti and 8GB ram. On some threads people said i3 with built-in HD4000 should be enough though some nvidia card is recommended, so I think it's safe to assume that my build will be more than capable to run LT at 1080p ...if not someone please correct me fast while I can still cancel the order. :)
I think you're solid. Josh's low end machine is a laptop that has an Intel i5 with Intel HD4000 graphics, and he does a lot of his optimization work on that. The game will still probably run on slightly older or less powerful systems, such as i5s or i3s with HD3000, but as you have a desktop-level i5 with a real graphics card, I think you'll be able to reach the 1080p range very comfortably.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Solith wrote:Just hour ago I ordered parts for my SteamBox which I plan to use for LT. I chose rather affordable components - i5 4570S, GTX 750Ti and 8GB ram.
That's pretty close to the specification of my current gaming rig, Solith. I'm holding off on the upgrade until SC gets closer to release but I did upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 750Ti as the card was so ridiculously cheap. I noticed the improvement in my hangar and AC modules after the upgrade. It was a fairly expensive build at the time and the LT Prototype worked a treat. I never did manage to get the LTP to work on my i7 business laptops and they use the HD4000. LTP just didn't want to play ball for some reason. :)

I've always been a Windows man so no experience with Linux. I believe I installed it once but was so unimpressed by the pitiful array of games available for it that I decided to give it a miss. Mind you, this was a good few years ago and I expect there is far more software available now. :angel:

Solith wrote:Really? The high res we see in update videos is with just HD3000. That's impressive. Then I wonder what kind of awesome he could do by adding some CUDA magic.
CUDA is for nvidia not intel. Though if you mean tailoring for each vendor, that is an option due to vendor specific extensions in opengl but it requires a large tester pool to make sure everyone gets the same experience. Beyond opengl, implementing specific cuda or openCL capabilities is more of a step than is reasonable this far into dev. Josh already uses processing on the video card for computation through opengl, so other than hardware specific instructions it's not much of an advantage to make use of gpgpu languages on top of what he already has access to.
Solith wrote:Just hour ago I ordered parts for my SteamBox which I plan to use for LT. I chose rather affordable components - i5 4570S, GTX 750Ti and 8GB ram.
If I made a steambox it would basically just be a little storage and a basic video card in it, because streaming is a thing.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Katawa wrote:CUDA is for nvidia not intel.
Forgive my clumsy language. Non-native speaker :) I meant that he could probably do some nice things if the game was designed for nvidia, though it would put a rather strict hardware requirement. To be honest I was expecting his dev computer to have some nvidia/ati card.
Katawa wrote:If I made a steambox it would basically just be a little storage and a basic video card in it, because streaming is a thing.
It's a valid approach. Streaming is great, and this way you can have cheap steambox running high end games. In my personal view it's not perfect though. For me it's mostly for games that I cannot run on Linux, like Assassins Creed, or perhaps playing some game on laptop when sitting in bed. It's downside is (apart from some res limits and controller mapping glitches), it requires Windows gaming PC to run all the time.
I'm a big Linux fan and I make a living doing software development for Linux, so I will go out of my way to have games running on it directly, and be free of Windows if possible.

Solith wrote:I meant that he could probably do some nice things if the game was designed for nvidia
To that point though, he's already computing with the video card in a generic way and the performance increases from being exclusive about it aren't typically amazing. The reason cuda is popular isn't that it's more powerful on its own, or even unique, it's that if you're a business nvidia will help you use it and time saved is money made.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Miklos wrote:I'm looking for what OS level requirements and 3rd party library requirements do you need?
I've got a project (that I'm working on in linux) that's using a similar set of requirements as Limit Theory, and here's what I need to make it go:

(libfmod.so
libfmodstudo.so)
libGL
libjpeg
libfreetype
pthread
X11
libudev
Xrandr

The two libfmod* libraries are freely downloadable from the fmod site for a whole mess of different platforms. He might additionally be compiling against GLEW (or similar), or just statically compiling it into the project like I'm doing. As you can see, it's actually a fairly limited set of libraries, so I'm fairly certain cross-platform-ness should be pretty easy to attain.

I'm also statically including SFML, another cross-platform library. If he's not statically linking to that, that'll be another requirement.

Online Now