Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: What capabilities would people like LTSL to have?

Rabiator wrote:For computation-intensive mods, it might be nice to have the option of calling routines in user-made binaries (as opposed to only those in LT).
Unfortunately probably not going to happen -- that would mean users would have to provide a binary for each platform and architecture if they wanted the mod to work for all versions of LT. Don't really want to introduce the concept of platform-dependent mods...would much rather have everything Just Work™ ;)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I think this was mentioned elsewhere, but, the ability to import mp3 music?
(be it a script to point to an external folder)

Considering what Josh has said about the size of LT in the past, the mainly large size (Mbytes) of LT is the music.
Would it be possible to reference in LTSL the different music files implemented at varying stages (ie. mining/exploring/dog fights/ etc).

It could lead to a whole new world of music driven gameplay, and invite said music nuts to get involved with scripting and LTSL.
(I imagine someone creating a world where different asteroids play different songs/notes, and would be quite creative.)

:mrgreen:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Sasha wrote:I'd love to see a lot of customization for the ship editpr too. things like defining our own primatives, animating structural elements, etc.
I don't know if this would be asking Josh to basically create his own version of Unity, but I'm sort of hoping that "ship" is just a special case instance of "object" and that there's a general purpose object editor with the kinds of capabilities you mention.

That would make it a lot simpler/faster to get many new kinds of things into the game, rather than just new ships.

Again, though, maybe that's overkill.

...or maybe Josh should be satisfied with building LTSL, and should leave the development of an easy-to-use editor to modders?

What kinds of features would LTSL need to support that goal?

Flatfingers wrote:
Sasha wrote:I'd love to see a lot of customization for the ship editpr too. things like defining our own primatives, animating structural elements, etc.
I don't know if this would be asking Josh to basically create his own version of Unity, but I'm sort of hoping that "ship" is just a special case instance of "object" and that there's a general purpose object editor with the kinds of capabilities you mention.

That would make it a lot simpler/faster to get many new kinds of things into the game, rather than just new ships.

Again, though, maybe that's overkill.

...or maybe Josh should be satisfied with building LTSL, and should leave the development of an easy-to-use editor to modders?

What kinds of features would LTSL need to support that goal?
Hrmmm... If we can export ships to a format that is useable by more than just LT, we may be able to get that to work. I know there are some people who would prefer to create a ship in something like Maya, 3DS, or similar and then import it into the game. But then again, this is a big 'what if'.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote: Hrmmm... If we can export ships to a format that is useable by more than just LT, we may be able to get that to work. I know there are some people who would prefer to create a ship in something like Maya, 3DS, or similar and then import it into the game. But then again, this is a big 'what if'.
I'd opt for using .obj files, every modeler i tried could use .obj files.

Online Now