Return to “General”

Dev Logs - great stuff!

Hey there, I initially thought your dev logs every day would burn you out keeping such meticulous records. But I have come to realize I read them every day. And I guess so do all of your backers since the views are consistently in the thousands.

Keep it up youngster!

[FYI: there is also Josh's blog, which is something different - Gazz]
Re: Dev Logs - great stuff!

Completely agree, they put other Kickstarters to shame and make me prou to have backed the project.

I really don't know why @Josh doesn't put the weekly summaries up onto the Kickstarter page. He could do a quick copy and paste job and would make the Kickstarter page look far more impressive for the community.

Jambo wrote:Completely agree, they put other Kickstarters to shame and make me prou to have backed the project.

I really don't know why @Josh doesn't put the weekly summaries up onto the Kickstarter page. He could do a quick copy and paste job and would make the Kickstarter page look far more impressive for the community.
KS pages are locked after they finish, I can't edit it :)

And I'd rather save updates for the big monthly ones, since it emails every backer.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

The Kickstarter project "Forsaken Fortress" got backed successfully, but after the Kickstarter campaign, it never updates. At all. Even on their forums. Even their forums went down. (EDIT: more than happy to eat my words. That update happened hours after I posted that. :P )

Considering the possibility that such a thing could occur to Limit Theory, from the perspective of those who don't know these forums are active, even a single reminder E-mail letting people know that a lot of activity is going down on these forums wouldn't really be a distraction or annoyance at all. I'm exactly the kind of person that hates excessive E-mails, but hell, I would love it to have a surefire way to know the progress of the campaigns that I love and care about. (Feel free to imagine a bro-fist wherever necessary there.)
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC

Breakfast safely behind my teeth, cup of coffee, dog besides my chair, snow outside.
The dev log on the tablet.
It has become a highly valued ritual for me.
Funny thing is.. I can understand practically everything you write about, Josh.
That is a very, very clever trick!!
My understanding of programming equals that of a molluscs understanding of Russian ballet.
Still, like I said, your dev logs make for a fun, very interesting read, I absolutely love them!
You should consider to publish them as an ebook on Amazon once this project is done.
Be assured that time spent on writing your log is time well spent!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions.
Lao Tze

If anything, you might want to send out an update with a basic "Hey, here's where everything is, and for those that want the information down and dirty, here's what you put into your RSS feeder" that way those that want to stay updated, will more than likely either check the forums or subscribe to a feed, while those that aren't know that you're taking care of those that are.

Of course, if I weren't involved as much as I am here, I'd think something like an update once a month or once every two months would be more than sufficient without excessive spam. Now, if only Star Citizen could learn from that...
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Rembrandt wrote:Breakfast safely behind my teeth, cup of coffee, dog besides my chair, snow outside.
The dev log on the tablet.
It has become a highly valued ritual for me.
An excellent ritual indeed :) Now if you would be so kind as to send some of that snow down here to your fellow swamp-dwellers in Louisiana, we would greatly appreciate it. On many days we have trouble deciding whether to blame The South™, Satan, or the Liberal Agenda™ (including global warming) for the fact that winter here feels more like a microwave than the icy cool sanctuary that the movies portray.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I too enjoy reading the logs. My only comment is that don't burn yourself out. Going 7 days a week will kill you. You have to plan for the long haul. Get out, see a movie or something. Relax. Heck, taking time off could help you figure out those nagging items that are sitting in the back of your head.

JoshParnell wrote:Now if you would be so kind as to send some of that snow down here to your fellow swamp-dwellers in Louisiana, we would greatly appreciate it. On many days we have trouble deciding whether to blame The South™, Satan, or the Liberal Agenda™ (including global warming) for the fact that winter here feels more like a microwave than the icy cool sanctuary that the movies portray.
Ah..That global warming thing, that is entirely the Earth's own fault.
If it had been any other shape than global we never would have had global warming.
As for sending you that snow well I ran in to a few snags there while packing the stuff.
keep cool, Josh! :-)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions.
Lao Tze

Of all the games I've backed (16 atm.) this is the only one I actually follow daily - because of the dev logs.

Being unable to code like you Josh I love the way they allow me to track daily progress while learning and I also love the way you write them Josh - personal, funny and informative.

Please don't stop them!
procedurally generated comment

Online Now