Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Random Rage Thread

total goof
That expression made me shed a tear from laughing, Grumble.

But just one, because I am goddamn hardcore.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Grumblesaur wrote:I used to think that the idea of putting a child on a leash was borderline abuse, but then I started working retail and the whole idea sounded like it should be mandatory.
I worked several Christmases in a toy store.

In a mall.

In many cases the children were better-behaved than their parents.

The kids were a lot more fun to play with, though, especially when hiding behind a counter with the PA system: "YOU. WITH THE DUMP TRUCK. I SAW WHAT YOU DID."

When I owned my shop, parents would just let their kids off there because hey, "Video games = babysitting" while they did their other shopping.

I almost put up a punching bag to prevent me from punching the customers.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Flatfingers wrote:
Grumblesaur wrote:I used to think that the idea of putting a child on a leash was borderline abuse, but then I started working retail and the whole idea sounded like it should be mandatory.
I worked several Christmases in a toy store.

In a mall.

In many cases the children were better-behaved than their parents.

The kids were a lot more fun to play with, though, especially when hiding behind a counter with the PA system: "YOU. WITH THE DUMP TRUCK. I SAW WHAT YOU DID."
This is seriously the best thing ever.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I just heard of shop owners being harrassed until they leave the area. Think about shops that sell fresh fish, or even daycare centres that are getting complaints, respectively for smell and noise.

The same farce happened with our airline company. People went to live around the airport because the land and houses were cheap. They united and began protesting against the noise planes make. Now planes can't land or take off at night any more, and some have to be diverted to other air strips.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:I just heard of shop owners being harrassed until they leave the area. Think about shops that sell fresh fish, or even daycare centres that are getting complaints, respectively for smell and noise.

The same farce happened with our airline company. People went to live around the airport because the land and houses were cheap. They united and began protesting against the noise planes make. Now planes can't land or take off at night any more, and some have to be diverted to other air strips.
That's a story as old as time. No one ever cares about the past or why something was the way it was, they care about now and why the world is making them uncomfortable now and the world should change to make them happy, not the other way around. It's why people build cities in deserts and then complain about water being expensive, or why people build houses on mountains and think that the world has done them wrong when the mountain erodes a little more and buries the neighborhood in landslides.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:That's a story as old as time. No one ever cares about the past or why something was the way it was, they care about now and why the world is making them uncomfortable now and the world should change to make them happy, not the other way around. It's why people build cities in deserts and then complain about water being expensive, or why people build houses on mountains and think that the world has done them wrong when the mountain erodes a little more and buries the neighborhood in landslides.
This.

Humanity is the illness, not the other way around!
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Lum wrote:We resolve problems, mostly those that we previously created. :lol:
Truth. :)

I'm just noting that it does go both ways. Given the right conditions, we do sometimes find ways to improve human existence, otherwise our species likely would have gone extinct. In fact, it very nearly did. In 2008, DNA research revealed that there was a period around 70,000 years ago (the Late Stone Age) when perhaps only 2,000 early human beings remained alive. (Full research paper here.)

Puts our subsequent problems in a slightly different context, doesn't it? ;)

Online Now