Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: If you know how to draw, tell me where to start...

Slymodi wrote:Shuul, help what do?
Image ~Sly
Ok, I thought to make something serious first, but I changed my mind:
Sly redrawing
Its up for you Sly to ad what she is saying :)
Hope you like it.
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

Shuul wrote:
Slymodi wrote:Shuul, help what do?
Spoiler:      SHOW
~Sly
Ok, I thought to make something serious first, but I changed my mind:
Sly redrawing
Its up for you Sly to ad what she is saying :)
Hope you like it.
That's actually pretty awesome Shuul. I love it!
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Thank you guys, it was done in 30 minutes just for fun, didnt thought really that you will like it that much :)

Anyway, Ill be happy to see your drawings here, even the simpliest ones, itll be fun to make over-drawings to them as well :)
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

Ugh... Okay, I have another drawing or two somewhere that I made when I was 14 or so. It's supposed to be a dragon, but I really, really screwed it up, but, hey. :P Might as well, right? Image Then there's this one, but to be fair, I was drawing from a reference and it was part of a tutorial, so I can't really say it's my own work. Image Then there's this, which is a bunch of random scenes I drew for kicks (and yes, I know it's blurry). Image
I guess there's this too, which I made a couple years ago, for a story I'm writing (the link to it is actually in my sig :D). It doesn't look a thing like how I wanted it to look, though, but I couldn't get it to look passable any other way... the roses were supposed to be "intertwined" instead of... whatever you call what I did there. :P AND, it's missing a golden pentacle-shaped charm - which I forgot - as well as the initials (V. C.), which I also forgot. Image
from the story wrote:[...]My only keepsake is my bracelet. It looks golden, but I was never sure if it was real gold, or just painted to look like it. It's shaped like a ring of intertwined roses, and it has a little charm on it: A golden star. My initials are carved into the bracelet's side in a flowing script.

Before she died, my granmomma made it for me - I remember her saying I'd eventually grow into it. My granpa didn't like to talk about it for one reason or another. I have a feeling he didn't like what my granmomma had done. [...]
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

you're still drawing from your mind and thus becoming complacent. you need to first learn to faithfully reproduce accurate shape and proportion. once you become accustomed to that, then you move onto producing physical phenomenon like light and shadow, once again, first learning how to translate its exact look onto the paper. not relying on images in your mind's eye.

you do this enough, eventually you'll memorize these techniques as a reflex or muscle memory, then you can apply it to ideas in your mind.

some people are inclined to spatial thinking, some people have to learn it. this is the result of spatial genius: Image picasso is the result of someone who wasn't particularly spatially gifted and never bothered to learn how to draw, he chose to go with the pretentious art school con-man's route, and he succeeded. he could have been an eccentric salesman of bad products.

My first - and primary - issue is that I don't have a steady hand. I understand everything you said, I simply lack the hand-eye muscle coordination necessary for traditional artwork. My handwriting is atrocious still, and I've gone through at least three or four non-curricula handwriting courses in an attempt to improve - with minor results. Some people have it, other people work at it, while still others don't have it at all and never will. I'm one of those who never will, but who has put very large amounts of time and effort into trying to improve (the images posted above are three of hundreds that I have archived in boxes in my closet, both on single sheets and in notebooks). After all the work I've put into improving, I can at least get my thoughts across on paper. I'll never be one to produce something that looks amazing, or to sketch up something recognizable in a few minutes.

But I can model. :\ At least the work I've put into pen-and-paper art has helped me with that. :)
Spoiler:      SHOW
Stuff from my current project. Image Image Image
And yes, I know it still needs work, but at least I'm getting somewhere with it. That's more than I can say for all the effort I've put into drawing. :P You don't have to worry about a steady hand when you're working with numbers - and that's mostly what modeling is.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now