Return to “General”

Re: Stars and planets...

Flatfingers wrote:Filters usually work the other way around, though: they block everything but let a small selected band of frequencies through. That's useful for scientific astronomy, but it could also be handy for exploration in LT.
[...]
I can't think of any other space games that do that. :)
GJ could totally nail this, I'm sure of it! All of my yes as well. :thumbup:
And your theorycrafting is epic, Flat, imho.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Talvieno wrote:You have some of my yes. I still want naturally-colored stars. I don't want to see the universe in false color.
And Flatfingers proposes that you would ordinarily see naturally-coloured (although, actually, Josh has tweaked the palette for the stylized realism artsy look.. which assures us is toggleable too ;) ),
but you also have augmented reality colour lenses in your toolset that flip down for purple stars and stuff.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

I should add that this idea of seeing the world through frequency filters (selected through the scanner interface) is not necessarily easy technically. The full-up version of that would require everything in the universe to emit or absorb certain frequencies, and the graphics engine would have to know how to render frequency information, rather than 3D object data.

But although the full idea might be too complex to do well, it might be possible to simplify it to work with 3D engines. This would involve tagging entire objects that can exist in the world with specific frequencies (and making every energy source an object). In your scanner you'd select object types, and then the graphics engine would be instructed to display only those objects.

This would simulate mapping alternate frequencies to the visual range. Everything would still appear in its default color -- you just wouldn't see it at all if that kind of object type was filtered out.

Acceptable (even if not quite as pretty)?

I was wondering what everyone thinks about binary/trinary/quaternary star systems. I could see how they could with orbital mechanics implemented, but that is not the case.

Also, does anyone know how stars are handled in the engine? As in are they approachable objects or just generated like the nebulae?

I have heard they are approachable... if you approach them, otherwise they are baked into the sky. But, multiple stars per system, would be fantastic.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

HoratioScumdog wrote:Are gas giant planets planned for LT? I haven't been able to find an answer so far.
Yes. I couldn't link you to it, but yes.

edit: Wait, yes I could.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2185&p=30247
JoshParnell wrote:I tried to let graphics Josh out of the cage today, but not just for the same old boring stuff. Today I wanted to push forward with some new content - new planetary types (including gas giants) and ice :squirrel: Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to perfect either! :monkey:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the ice to look right. It's probably just because ice is new to me and this is the first time I've ever tried it. It's pretty darn tricky in the way that it reflects and refracts and...well, my ice just doesn't look like ice yet :oops: Hopefully I'll get some more insights soon :think: I really, really would love to have this month's update video take place in an ice field!! :geek:

Gas giants are seeing a bit better luck, but I'm still not satisfied. The hardest part with them is the scattering - it's hard to get the atmospheric scattering right on a gas giant. Actually, I'm not even totally sure how atmospheric scattering works with respect to a gas giant. Isn't the whole planet like...one big atmosphere? :think: Maybe it should just be a big blob of atmospheric scattering :D Dunno. Weird stuff.

At any rate, I've got a stronger framework in place now for having different planet types, so if nothing else, the day was successful in that respect. I'd say I'm about 50% on both ice and giants. Hope I can get to 100% by the end of this month
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
HoratioScumdog wrote:Are gas giant planets planned for LT? I haven't been able to find an answer so far.

Thanks Talvieno. Praise Josh!

So what exactly is going to stop me from flying down into a gas giant? Or any other planet's atmosphere for that matter?
An invisible wall telling me to turn back? That would be so sad. I hope assured death is the deterrent here instead. :P
The victorious strategist only seeks battle
After the victory has been won
Whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights
And afterwards looks for victory

-Sun Tzu

HoratioScumdog wrote: Thanks Talvieno. Praise Josh!

So what exactly is going to stop me from flying down into a gas giant? Or any other planet's atmosphere for that matter?
An invisible wall telling me to turn back? That would be so sad. I hope assured death is the deterrent here instead. :P
I think it will be sudden death, its simple, somewhat understandable and its the same method as in freelancer

HoratioScumdog wrote:
Talvieno wrote:

Thanks Talvieno. Praise Josh!

Evochron worked pretty okay too. You could skim the top layers of a gas planet, but the deeper levels had huge turbulence, threw you about like a paper airplane, and finally deep enough you were crushed. It's a tense, tactical approach, a bit like the race in one of the Space Odyssey books. Of course, LT doesn't have seamless planetary entry, so no idea how that mechanic is going to work. Something similar with crunchy ships, I'm sure.
panic

Online Now