Return to “General”

Space. It's pretty big. So are wait times.

While flying around in these space-flight sims, I found myself developing the most remarkable talent for twiddling my thumbs. They could twiddle clockwise. They could twiddle counter-clockwise. (That was particularly impressive. Even the neighbors thought so. My dog couldn't stop talking about it to the goldfish.) They could even achieve lift-off, given proper thumbilical velocity.

Why did I twiddle my thumbs so much? Because of all the time I spent flying through space to get to where I wanted to go. Even within a single subsystem, just going from a trade lane (Freelancer, yes.) to any particular space station.

Actually Freelancer wasn't even that bad, to be honest. There was rarely more than thirty seconds between any given object. Even just aligning with a trade lane on autopilot wasn't that bad, though it did get tiresome.

So basically, what I'm saying, is that will there be any way to significantly shorten the time spent flying from one place to another, in case one is on a time-related budget of sorts? Will we be spending far, FAR too much time getting from one destination to another? Will it be merciful?

We have a merciful god here on these forums, so why should it not be merciful? D:

------------

EDIT: I just read this thread. The first post, specifically. I guess everyone else could too. Some really good stuff regarding this issue in there.
Last edited by ShadowTiger on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC
Re: Space. It's pretty big. So are wait times.

Rightright... how could I forget about that. It was quite the interesting notion to hear at first, .. time compression. So it's essentially a fast forward button, mmyes? o.o

I think real life has that. I call it video games.
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC
Re: Space. It's pretty big. So are wait times.

Gazz wrote:Right now LT has time compression.
It's the easiest solution that doesn't negate the strategic implications of "travel time". While you may get there quickly in real time, game time still passes. That freighter that was asking you for help didn't last long enough...

Grats on your mad thumbs, though.
That's actually a relief. I like taking the long ways, it seems more realistic (except in Skyrim where crossing from Riften to Rorrikstead took literal hours, not that I didn't try though.)

Online Now