Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Weapons

Zenton Karvash wrote:Detection: Heat generated by the ships powerplant or just the life support system would be more than enough for a missile or sensors to detect/home in on.
IMHO as the missile tech will be developed in the future also the camo will so it won't be so easy to track and fire on a target that will maybe hiding in some kind of magnetic field that offuscate the missile's homing system (some kind of EMP).
Image roma

As the stealth or 'camo' technology increased, so would the detection tech, but if there were a vast difference in technologies I suppose one side could gain an advantage at extreme range. The nature of space makes heat your worst enemy, or your best friend depenant upon if your trying to hide or trying to find someone.

(hopefully this doesn't spark a realism vs sci-fi battle)
Sci-Fi Stealth Technologies
Star Trek: Romulans and the Klingons had cloaking devices.
Mass Effect: The Normandy used emission suppression technology to hide the normandy from sensors.

Realism: The main thruster of a Space Shuttle detected past the orbit of pluto, a manuevering thruster of a Space Shuttle can be detected past the asteroid belt, and the main reason the doors on the top of the shuttle craft are open during space flight is that heat of the life support is dispensed via the panels on the inside of the doors.

Zenton Karvash wrote:As the stealth or 'camo' technology increased, so would the detection tech, but if there were a vast difference in technologies I suppose one side could gain an advantage at extreme range. The nature of space makes heat your worst enemy, or your best friend depenant upon if your trying to hide or trying to find someone.

(hopefully this doesn't spark a realism vs sci-fi battle)
Sci-Fi Stealth Technologies
Star Trek: Romulans and the Klingons had cloaking devices.
Mass Effect: The Normandy used emission suppression technology to hide the normandy from sensors.

Realism: The main thruster of a Space Shuttle detected past the orbit of pluto, a manuevering thruster of a Space Shuttle can be detected past the asteroid belt, and the main reason the doors on the top of the shuttle craft are open during space flight is that heat of the life support is dispensed via the panels on the inside of the doors.
What I wanted to say is that every kind of war technology will be developed. I don't agree with: "There won't be any camo tech because missile homing tech will be so developed that it will be useless" or that kind of thoughts. Every race/faction should have their differences as well as their advantages. Beside all that the game should not discard some kind of technologies as we don't know what will really happen in the future.
Image roma

Hmm some players may just want to explore and not worry too much about figuring out which weapon types are best against what, or how to get best energy distribution etc. Way I see it LT is not focused as a combat simulator. There is combat but it is not the central feature of it. I feel the focus of LT is on exploration, a sandbox where you can go anywhere (within the ability of yourself not to get killed) and do anything you want.
Image To boldly go where no one has gone before

Ringo wrote:Hmm some players may just want to explore and not worry too much about figuring out which weapon types are best against what, or how to get best energy distribution etc. Way I see it LT is not focused as a combat simulator. There is combat but it is not the central feature of it. I feel the focus of LT is on exploration, a sandbox where you can go anywhere (within the ability of yourself not to get killed) and do anything you want.
There is no "focus" or central feature announced for the game.

There are however 6 different career paths revealed (which we for now have to assume will have equal much development focus):

You are a Merchant.
You are an Admiral.
You are an Explorer.
You are a Pirate.
You are a Wingman.
You are a Miner.

As you can see 3 or half of these are directly related to combat and weapons (Admiral, Pirate and Wingman). So we can assume, that around half the focus of the game will be related to combat, weapons and fleetcombat, to make half of the careers more interesting.

Even descriptions in the "peaceful" career paths hint's that weapons and combat will be fairly central "you harvest that which will become warheads, turrets, and even ships".

Sensor mechanics is also very much related to the explorer career and miner paths in order for them to scan for and find locations and minerals.
Zenton Karvash wrote: Realism: The main thruster of a Space Shuttle detected past the orbit of pluto, a manuevering thruster of a Space Shuttle can be detected past the asteroid belt, and the main reason the doors on the top of the shuttle craft are open during space flight is that heat of the life support is dispensed via the panels on the inside of the doors.
I don't think you need to worry about that. The craft we send out to space right now are 100% scientific. This means pretty much 100% of their payload is sensors or related systems. They also don't have to worry about if anyone can detect them at all.

A warship will have to carry armor, weapons, countermeasures and many other systems competing for payload which means sensors will be much smaller in size and range.

Ringo wrote:Hmm some players may just want to explore and not worry too much about figuring out which weapon types are best against what, or how to get best energy distribution etc. Way I see it LT is not focused as a combat simulator. There is combat but it is not the central feature of it. I feel the focus of LT is on exploration, a sandbox where you can go anywhere (within the ability of yourself not to get killed) and do anything you want.
BTW war will be an important part of the game (maybe the biggest) because humans always focused more on fighting each other than exploring the world all together. You have to consider that ang give the fight the place it deserves in LT or any other space game.
Image roma

Quantum acoustic weaponry where a high powered resonating crystal based weapon is used to literally hurl packets of highly resonating space/time bubbles at a target, think of this as a weaponised version of a warp drive, i would consider this weapon as an anti capital weapon and would be very expensive

The weapon would have multiple ways of damage output

In real life theorys suggest that if ever a warp drive was used it would be very bad for the people out side of the warp bubble and any un protected electronic equipment because of subatomic particles caught in the weapons firing plane generating extreme blue shift of high energy photons such as gamma rays and x rays therefore, the weapon would deal powerful radiation damage to any biological material inside the space ships aswell as cause kinetic damage due to the ripples in space/time fabric interacting with the ship, however, to balance the weapon out a ship could be fitted to a quantum resonance dampener shield that inhibits the weapons effects by whatever seems fair and balanced.

lenny wrote:Quantum acoustic weaponry where a high powered resonating crystal based weapon is used to literally hurl packets of highly resonating space/time bubbles at a target, think of this as a weaponised version of a warp drive, i would consider this weapon as an anti capital weapon and would be very expensive

The weapon would have multiple ways of damage output

In real life theorys suggest that if ever a warp drive was used it would be very bad for the people out side of the warp bubble and any un protected electronic equipment because of subatomic particles caught in the weapons firing plane generating extreme blue shift of high energy photons such as gamma rays and x rays therefore, the weapon would deal powerful radiation damage to any biological material inside the space ships aswell as cause kinetic damage due to the ripples in space/time fabric interacting with the ship, however, to balance the weapon out a ship could be fitted to a quantum resonance dampener shield that inhibits the weapons effects by whatever seems fair and balanced.
IMO we should make a topic (if josh is interested :D) where we can start inventing the weapons we would like to see in the game and post our ideas, projects but without talking about the weapons system in general. Anyone agrees?
Image roma

ACH0225 wrote:That was the purpose of this thread. Read the OP(Original Post)
I know but it went on with general battles ideas and so on. I think we should make a form for weapon ideas like:

-Weapon Name-
-Type of weapon
-Weapon stats
-Description

(kind of :D)
Image roma

I don't think it needs a separate page....

Weapon name- Missile pod
Type of wpn- Missile carrier
Wpn stats- Unknown, no stats to use
Description- A container of quick launch missiles. Carries 30 low power missiles with limited guidance. Cannot be refilled, only replaced.

ronincabo wrote:Easy answer to everything, has this been said? Procedurally generate EVERYTHING!!! Ever heard of Borderlands? Just saying :P
well you can't procedurally generate a whole game just by telling your computer to do it and expecting it coming out with a borderlands.
in BL2 (one of my favourite games actually) only weapons are randomly generated and they're not so random btw.
well i hope josh will make the weapons stats/shapes procedurally generated to make them just a little bit different from each other.
but there must be some different type of weapons (to say: sniper rifles, shotguns SMGs/rocket pods, lasers, plasma cannons and so on) and every type of weapon should have a completely different shape (like maliwan, torgue etc.).
Image roma

Online Now