Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Universe names

Forgive me for indulging in a bit of thread necromancy...

Is it confirmed that we will be able to configure the universe seed? The idea of having a shared universe amongst the forum denizens is quite appealing.

It would also introduce a meta-game. Exploration of alternate universes to find interesting objects.

Bugbear wrote:Forgive me for indulging in a bit of thread necromancy...

Is it confirmed that we will be able to configure the universe seed? The idea of having a shared universe amongst the forum denizens is quite appealing.

It would also introduce a meta-game. Exploration of alternate universes to find interesting objects.
Necromancy is encouraged here. It's preferable to making new threads.

Yes, we will be able to change the universe seeds, and possibly other smaller seeds that control things like ship generation, ore distribution, or planetary arrangement. I wouldn't count on those last few, though, but it has been discussed.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

If there's going to multiple seeds per universe, can we have universe sentences rather than names? Similar idea, just that we have sequences of words which get converted into all the different seeds.

E.g. For three seeds:

SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST

This is just to help make it easy to remember all the seed information for a universe where multiple seeds are involved.

ThymineC wrote:If there's going to multiple seeds per universe, can we have universe sentences rather than names? Similar idea, just that we have sequences of words which get converted into all the different seeds.

E.g. For three seeds:

SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST

This is just to help make it easy to remember all the seed information for a universe where multiple seeds are involved.
This reminds me of the way the PS2 game .hack generated it's different areas. Three words. I really like this idea. :thumbup:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Bugbear wrote:Forgive me for indulging in a bit of thread necromancy...

Yep this is a confirmed feature :) Having a single-player game with the ability to share universe seeds to explore the universe as a community was one of the bigger pitch points :geek: Should be very interesting indeed!
ThymineC wrote:If there's going to multiple seeds per universe, can we have universe sentences rather than names? Similar idea, just that we have sequences of words which get converted into all the different seeds.

E.g. For three seeds:

SCIENTIA POTENTIA EST

Sure, we can do that. It's basically just taking the universe seed and then using that to generate the sub-seeds :thumbup: Sounds good.

EDIT: oh, I guess you actually want coherence (so that each word directly generates one seed). If that's the case, is it really any different from just entering a word for each sub-seed?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:EDIT: oh, I guess you actually want coherence (so that each word directly generates one seed). If that's the case, is it really any different from just entering a word for each sub-seed?
Not really.
It just means that he wants SPACE to be an allowed character in the seed.

Carthago delenda est!
RAWR!
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Online Now