Return to “General”

A couple of questions

Hello Josh. It's awesome to see how you are realizing your dream, and I would love to help you do so through Kickstarter, however I would first like to ask you a few question to make sure you can realize my dream of the perfect space-sim. :D

1) Will the combat system be intuitive and be easy to transition into? I know there are a ton of space sims where you have a billion different bars and meters on your UI, that takes weeks to fully understand. I absolutely loathe this. Rather, I would much prefer it to be like Freelancer (my favorite game ever) where the combat system is really easy to learn, but somewhat more difficult to master. I primarily play these kinds of games for those moments of pure epic when you are cruising through a massive and beautiful solar system, with only some awesome ambient music and your intercom to accompany you, while searching for that remote base or undiscovered Jump Hole (I'm sure you have experienced many of these moments, as you have played Freelancer too ^^). Sure, I like the combat in Freelancer and wouldn't want to have a space-sim without it, but at the same time I don't want to have to spend a ton of time understanding my ship controls before I can go out and explore the universe.

2) I know the game won't have a storyline, and I fully support this. However, will the universe have a lore in the sense that there is a history of how space exploration began, how the different factions (which I hope are plentiful) emerged etc? Again, I will use Freelancer as an example here. I absolutely loved the intro to Freelancer, as it gave the player a sense of purpose belonging to one of the many factions. And when you finally managed to break through the highest-tiered star systems to find the wreckage of the Hispania, well let's just say it was one of my favorite moments ever in a PC game.
Taking sides with the Junkers for example, would give me a completely different feeling that taking sides with the Rogues, even though they are both considered outlaws.

I understand that some players love the absolute opposite when it comes to the two things I described, and I fully support that, but I would love to know what your intentions for limit theory are regarding this.

Thanks!
Re: A couple of questions

Aelara wrote:Hello Josh. It's awesome to see how you are realizing your dream, and I would love to help you do so through Kickstarter, however I would first like to ask you a few question to make sure you can realize my dream of the perfect space-sim. :D

1) Will the combat system be intuitive and be easy to transition into? I know there are a ton of space sims where you have a billion different bars and meters on your UI, that takes weeks to fully understand. I absolutely loathe this. Rather, I would much prefer it to be like Freelancer (my favorite game ever) where the combat system is really easy to learn, but somewhat more difficult to master. I primarily play these kinds of games for those moments of pure epic when you are cruising through a massive and beautiful solar system, with only some awesome ambient music and your intercom to accompany you, while searching for that remote base or undiscovered Jump Hole (I'm sure you have experienced many of these moments, as you have played Freelancer too ^^). Sure, I like the combat in Freelancer and wouldn't want to have a space-sim without it, but at the same time I don't want to have to spend a ton of time understanding my ship controls before I can go out and explore the universe.

2) I know the game won't have a storyline, and I fully support this. However, will the universe have a lore in the sense that there is a history of how space exploration began, how the different factions (which I hope are plentiful) emerged etc? Again, I will use Freelancer as an example here. I absolutely loved the intro to Freelancer, as it gave the player a sense of purpose belonging to one of the many factions. And when you finally managed to break through the highest-tiered star systems to find the wreckage of the Hispania, well let's just say it was one of my favorite moments ever in a PC game.
Taking sides with the Junkers for example, would give me a completely different feeling that taking sides with the Rogues, even though they are both considered outlaws.

I understand that some players love the absolute opposite when it comes to the two things I described, and I fully support that, but I would love to know what your intentions for limit theory are regarding this.

Thanks!
One of my favorite things in games is when the story builds around you. In DF, the lore mode, you can look up a dragon and see who it killed. If you could do that in this game, I would be so impressed. Procedural history? Anyways, I think we do need some background on the technology and how people expanded, etc. So +1
-Keon-

(I don't have any funny quotes to put here yet. Somebody say something funny.)

We could always do an ancient tech thing, then space-spelunkers could look for ancient tech, despite the cliche. I think we NEED tech background, but little to no story background. What happened before shouldn't matter. Your choices should reflect you, not the backstory.

About the UI, what I would love to see is a view of the area around me without the UI, the cockpit in the way. So I can take an unblocked screenshot of that particular part of space. User friendly controls is a plus. If I spend like two hours trying to read through a sparse manual on how to pilot properly, chances are the game is on its way back to my shelf when the next big game hits the stores. I am sure we will be able to test fly some in the beta to give feedback.

As for lore, yes I like to see the LT established around lore, so instead of this being another part in space, this is LT, with its own factions, races and conflicts which all shape the unique experience which is Limit Theory. Back stories of each faction can be written into the game, it can be the same for every game. The histories of the factions will be pre-determined. What will be dynamic are the players interactions with members of the faction. What will change is the future of these factions. As for kills, relationships between the factions themselves and between a faction and the player, that can be handled by a sort of hostility / alignment meter. Number of kills can be kept track of using a numerical counter for the entire faction.
Image To boldly go where no one has gone before

anyone whos plaid star trek bridge commander will understand the kind of space combat that i like. simple controls multiple points of view. targeted damage and repair. several variant ships and combat tactics and the ability to ether manually pilot the ship or have an ai take control while you maintain control over other systems. for instance i set myself up in the classic 'no win senerrio' needless to say i lost in a firy blaze of epic combat... all the while i was jumpin from station to station scanning their ships sending out distress signals (that i knew did nothing but was for RP reasons) managing warp core power levels and prioritizing repair schedules on the fly as i snapped a few shots off at tactical before dashing off to try one more hail before the end. do i expect this from LT? not at all do i hope for this obviously. will i abandon the game because of the lack of it not a chance. XD
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Aelara wrote:Hello Josh. It's awesome to see how you are realizing your dream, and I would love to help you do so through Kickstarter, however I would first like to ask you a few question to make sure you can realize my dream of the perfect space-sim. :D

The UI is far from finished, actually we haven't been shown any of it so far so that is a hard question to answer, this is also very early in development and the UI could potentially change drastically all the way to launch, you'll just have to stick around and have as much input as possible when it's time for UI design.
Aelara wrote:2) I know the game won't have a storyline, and I fully support this. However, will the universe have a lore in the sense that there is a history of how space exploration began, how the different factions (which I hope are plentiful) emerged etc? Again, I will use Freelancer as an example here. I absolutely loved the intro to Freelancer, as it gave the player a sense of purpose belonging to one of the many factions. And when you finally managed to break through the highest-tiered star systems to find the wreckage of the Hispania, well let's just say it was one of my favorite moments ever in a PC game.

Thanks!
As the factions are procedurally generated I wouldn't hold my breath, but I hope there will be some amazing player created lore. Pick a seed, explore the universe you get, give it lore, share the seed and the lore for others to enjoy.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

Online Now