Return to “Suggestions”

PCG Currency

So, given Josh's existing excellent economic models, I don't imagine it would be very difficult to have randomly generated currencies based on factions as well. A majority may use a united currency, but this may not always be the case.
They shall call me, Draglide! The thread killer!
Re: PCG Currency

Well given the freedom of the market as it is now, I'm confident we will see inflation and deflation. Destabilizing economy in a large way could hurt the faction doing it. I don't know. Maybe it isn't really necessary.
They shall call me, Draglide! The thread killer!

Thought this sounded familiar. I had to do some digging to find these references.

If the idea is to NOT have a universal currency, then that was disccused quite a bit here and here. Not to mention, Josh's dev log here.

I know these aren't a direct relation, but the information therein is close enough.

What it comes down to, is universal currency is a gamey mechanic needed for gameplay.

At the same time, it is in an economic's power best-interest to be able to trade between them, regardless of currency. Since this is true, I'd assume that races that are smart enough to reach space and co-habitate with other races, they probably are smart enough to create some sort of standardized currency that everyone can use. Of course, that's just my way of getting around the suspension of disbelief.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Grumblesaur wrote:So given a universal currency, is it just going to be "credits", or will it have a PCG name for each unique seed?

And further from there, will it have a set or PCG symbol like $, ¥, or €?
Good question. I'd be pretty happy with it just being called "credits" all the time.

As a side note, what should the symbol of credits be? I'd be alright to see, for instance, "10,000 cr." displayed on the markets, but a unique symbol might be interesting.

ThymineC wrote:
Grumblesaur wrote: As a side note, what should the symbol of credits be? I'd be alright to see, for instance, "10,000 cr." displayed on the markets, but a unique symbol might be interesting.
Since all the factions are space faring but not necessarily human, we need a symbol that all beings can relate to. How about '*' given that stars are pretty necessary for life.

So one * could represent the value of the amount of energy that a planet receives from a typical main sequence star during the time it takes light to travel in a vacumn from the surface of that star to a typical planet. Using the Earth and Sun as a typical planet and star, that works out to 125 'quads' of BTU which, it so happens, is roughly comparable to the 400 'quads' of energy that are consummed annually by all humans at this juncture in history.

kidpython wrote:So one * could represent the value of the amount of energy that a planet receives from a typical main sequence star during the time it takes light to travel in a vacumn from the surface of that star to a typical planet. Using the Earth and Sun as a typical planet and star, that works out to 125 'quads' of BTU which, it so happens, is roughly comparable to the 400 'quads' of energy that are consummed annually by all humans at this juncture in history.
For people that prefer sensible systems of measurement:

125 quads of BTU = 1.32*1020 J
400 quads of BTU = 4.22*1020 J

I say there should be a new symbol that could be used. Maybe something like Ɵ or some other greek symbol.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

ThymineC wrote:
DWMagus wrote:I say there should be a new symbol that could be used. Maybe something like Ɵ or some other Greek symbol.
Theta's quite an attractive symbol. I wouldn't mind a Greek symbol I don't think.
I was always a fan of a lower-case phi myself, but couldn't find it on my charmap, and saying "Phi" could also sound like "Fee" so I doubt that would work. :lol:

DWMagus wrote:
ThymineC wrote:
DWMagus wrote:I say there should be a new symbol that could be used. Maybe something like Ɵ or some other Greek symbol.
Theta's quite an attractive symbol. I wouldn't mind a Greek symbol I don't think.
I was always a fan of a lower-case phi myself, but couldn't find it on my charmap
clicky φ :ghost:
ThymineC wrote:and saying "Phi" could also sound like "Fee" so I doubt that would work. :lol:
I'm quite fond of capital omega as well: 250,000 Ω

Online Now