Return to “General”

Re: 1st Person view

Grumblesaur wrote:Can that woman's voice be the AI voice for my ship in Limit Theory? That'd be kickass.
Talvieno wrote:Jennifer Hale would make an awesome AI voice... probably a bit expensive, though. :\ Ah well.
Last time I made any comments on the use of a woman's voice as the audio output for my ship's computer I was attacked for being sexist etc. :( I would willingly have the female voice on the video as my shipboard companion. :thumbup:

It's not sexist. It's what most of us grew up with. The Enterprise, for example, wouldn't be the same ship without Majel Barett's voice. It's not really sexist - it's just what we're used to: a calm, smooth and well-modulated voice as the voice of the AI. You wouldn't want a gruff, gravelly voice for the AI, now, would you? That would seem jarring - but primarily because we're so used to it that we can't imagine it any other way.

This explains it best, though it doesn't quite qualify as The Coconut Effect: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... onutEffect
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:The Enterprise, for example, wouldn't be the same ship without Majel Barett's voice. It's not really sexist - it's just what we're used to: a calm, smooth and well-modulated voice as the voice of the AI.
You are preaching to the choir in my case Talvieno. :)
Talvieno wrote: You wouldn't want a gruff, gravelly voice for the AI, now, would you?
I wouldn't, but it seems there are others who have a different opinion. Personally I couldn't think of a more wretched companion. I would be looking for the "off" switch within minutes. :lol:

Online Now