Return to “General”

1st Person view

I have 2 questions about how the first person view will work.
First, if we look to the side will we actually see our ship or is it invisible while in 1st person view?(Like in X3 for instance, no cockpit but you still get a sense of actually being in a ship)
And second, how will the location of your viewpoint relative to your ship be determined when in 1st person view?
:wave:
Re: 1st Person view

I'm not sure, but so far I've not seen any sign of your physical ship being visible in first person view. If it stays that way, it would be advisable to switch to 3rd person view at any time when it would be important to know exactly the extent of your ship relative to your viewpoint.

Eery Petrol wrote:I'm not sure, but so far I've not seen any sign of your physical ship being visible in first person view. If it stays that way, it would be advisable to switch to 3rd person view at any time when it would be important to know exactly the extent of your ship relative to your viewpoint.
oh, the ship is visible from first person view, look at some of the older videos

I don't think we'll be getting detailed cockpits with a copilot's seat, sadly. I'm really more or less fine with that, though... it would make it feel more immersive, maybe give a cozy quality to flying from the cockpit. I don't know, I've always liked games with 3d first-person cockpits. Not sure why. We're not losing too much without it, though, and it'll give Josh a lot of time that could be spent doing other things... or at least, not detract from that time.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:I don't think we'll be getting detailed cockpits with a copilot's seat, sadly. I'm really more or less fine with that, though... it would make it feel more immersive, maybe give a cozy quality to flying from the cockpit. I don't know, I've always liked games with 3d first-person cockpits. Not sure why. We're not losing too much without it, though, and it'll give Josh a lot of time that could be spent doing other things... or at least, not detract from that time.
I agree, sometimes, less is more. Several space games pull off an absence of cockpits, Freespace 2 and Freelancer, to name two. And, as you said, it allows more time to be spent in other areas. This game is quite beautiful, I think seeing it in its full-screen glory is preferable to being obscured, and I feel it will benefit greatly from depth of functionality more than aesthetic cockpits.

Talvieno wrote:Freelancer had cockpits, actually, but they were bare-minimum. All they showed were the pieces of metal supporting the window panes.
Very true, I really need to reinstall that game, such fond memories of hour upon hour of ambushing Bounty Hunters in asteroid fields, :). Something quite minimal would be alright I'd think, but I don't know how much additional code it'd require to procedurally generate a minimalist cockpit... still might not be worth it, it's quite nice as it is, I feel.

Online Now