Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #15: March 2014

A highly promising update!

With improvements to the NPC AI and the introduction of additional variables (such as substitute goods) the economic simulation itself could be a major reason to play Limit Theory! Well, at least, to those of us who enjoy a dynamic gameworld and emergent gameplay.

If there is one suggestion I might make it would be to make certain that price fluctuations approximate a relatively steep bell curve. A complete collapse or explosive breakout in market valuation should be relatively rare. Well, at least if the simulation is to be reasonably stable and by real world standards realistic.
Last edited by Tom on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Tom wrote:A highly promising update!

With improvements to the NPC AI and the introduction of additional variables (such as substitute goods) the economic simulation itself could be a major reason to play Limit Theory! Well, at least, to those of us who enjoy a dynamic gameworld and emergent gameplay.

If there is one suggestion I might make it would be to make certain that price fluctuations approximate a relatively steep bell curve. A complete collapse or explosive breakout in market valuation should be relatively rare. Well, at least if the simulation is to be reasonably stable and by real world standards realistic.
I suspect at least some of that is down to the speed at which transactions are taking place. I'd expect simply slowing it down to have some smoothing effects, as would upgrading the NPCs with the ability to forecast the future and therefore keep stocks in place during "slumps".

It is work in progress, some of which was barely a day old. We all know what Mr Parnell is capable of so I, for one, will wait and see what amendments and additions he chooses to make. I have never known Josh to be this excited about any other work he has done on LT and that alone is worth a great deal.

Promising update, I would say so. :D

ThymineC wrote:
Tom wrote:
It seemed to me that you went through the individual graphs very quickly. Some of the graphs may be easier to read if they were separated into Supply, Demand, and Price graphs.
The ask and bid graphs are essentially supply and demand graphs.
Yep. I advise people to read this paper to get a better understanding of how the LT economy works.
Thanks for that link. Very illuminating.

Victor Tombs wrote:It is work in progress, some of which was barely a day old. We all know what Mr Parnell is capable of so I, for one, will wait and see what amendments and additions he chooses to make. I have never known Josh to be this excited about any other work he has done on LT and that alone is worth a great deal.

Promising update, I would say so. :D
Absolutely. I'm impressed he had anything even resembling an economic system up and running in a month.

Awesome! Awesome!!! :clap: :clap:

This game should be used in every introduction to economics class!! :shock: 8-)

But concerning this: please make sure that you don't make too many "rational" assumptions (e.g. perfect forecasting, optimal bell-curve). In real life we DO see spikes/shocks crisis etc. even if the "leading" economic models (DSGE stuff) or Nobel Price winners (Fama) say that crashs/bubbles don't exist...

So what I'm saying: it would be awesome to see how all this interacts with "personality" of the NPCs! :!: As a player I will go for trading because I like trading! (and it also gives me money). But if I had enough of trading I go out and explore the world, maybe building a structure here, maybe settling down in one system, building up my empire in the way I like. I would not like to fly around being the only real "individual" driven by intrinsic motivations while everyone else is just going to maximize wealth.. (that would feel too generic imo)

In the first moment, I hoped that somehow the "captains" are just NPCs who decided to go off and explore the world because they wanted to :)

But from following your dev logs I became a very strong believer in limit theory and your capabilities! Really excited!!!
Keep up the awesome work!

:wave:
Last edited by Telc on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well I showed my mum this update and she kind of likes it. Not that she really knows much about economics, or even what recursion is.

How come the update video has 3 dislikes already? It hasn't even hit 500 likes. :(

Edit: Monsters University was also on Sky so I wanted to show my mum his name in the credits, but she refuses to look because I said she was dumb. I'll show her later I guess.
Last edited by ThymineC on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Online Now