Return to “Suggestions”

An Obituary

Thought bubble!

It would be nice I'd there were some sort of obituary in the game. It depends on one thing though, if an NPC dies, are they dead? Or do they come back again. If they come back then an obituary wouldn't be needed. But if they don't, and the NPCs are still " active" in another part of the universe, let's say one gets killed during a pirate raid and I go to find them for any particular reason. If they are dead then it will be sort of difficult to find them...if I could search an obituary I could atleast find out that searching for them may take a while ;-p

Little bit of a depressing topic I know, but would be really helpful if NPC's can be killed. Also make for some fun vengeance ;-)
Re: An Obituary

This is one of those pieces that I'd have to agree with wholeheartedly.

In DF, when the world is still generating, and when it records events like this, it is nice to see them referenced later on. Like when you get an engraver that becomes legendary, he engraves tiles of the world's history.

I know that if I'm worrying about a pirate faction that might attack get taken out by some other bounty hunter, I wouldn't mind reading an obituary, or perhaps more. Since the NPC would be completely PCG, having a small backstory should be relatively easy to generate.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Great idea, I love it :D.
Could there also be some sort of galactic newspaper function you receive every time you dock at a space station, or 'land' on a planet to see the major galactic news. Faction X and Y go to war, Important person Z dies, etc. That would be super cool. It would make it easy to keep up on important events and plan things... evil things :D
Everybody seeks happiness! Not me, though! That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria!

ZeletDude wrote:Great idea, I love it :D.
Could there also be some sort of galactic newspaper function you receive every time you dock at a space station, or 'land' on a planet to see the major galactic news. Faction X and Y go to war, Important person Z dies, etc. That would be super cool. It would make it easy to keep up on important events and plan things... evil things :D
Ooooo, and of course, the NPCs check the same newspaper... Head of corporaction A dies, pirate faction B swoops in and takes over. I love it! :D
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
ZeletDude wrote:Great idea, I love it :D.
Ooooo, and of course, the NPCs check the same newspaper... Head of corporaction A dies, pirate faction B swoops in and takes over. I love it! :D
Yes of course :D. Very excited.. :)
Everybody seeks happiness! Not me, though! That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria!

I love the news paper idea! Not sure if it would be a nightmare from a programming standpoint for a newspaper to be auto generated but it wouldn't have to be anything too involved, could be as simple as a little ticker that scrolls by on the bottom of the screen when on a station or planet.
Last edited by happyguy142 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happyguy142 wrote:I love the news paper idea! Not sure if it would be a nightmare from a programming standpoint for a newspaper to be auto genarated by it wouldn't have to be anything too imvolvedm could be as simple as a little ticker that scrolls by on the bottom of the screen when on a station or planet.
Yeah, I am not sure how much of a nightmare it would be either. But it would sure be cool to be updated on all the news, of course if it is difficult to implement, then never mind :(

ghyt wrote:I had thought of maybe suggesting some kind of in-world, dynamic news system too - and the idea of being able to RUN a new corp is even better!

Awe. Some.
Man, can you imagine controlling the news and being able to create chaos based on it? Publish a false piece regarding a faction building up forces to invade a system, and it would cause the police to amass an even larger force, destroying the faction. Or vice versa. When war has broken out in a system, you publish a piece to tell citizens everything is okay, and before you know it, mass slaughter.

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha... :twisted:

DWMagus wrote:
ghyt wrote:I had thought of maybe suggesting some kind of in-world, dynamic news system too - and the idea of being able to RUN a new corp is even better!

Awe. Some.
Man, can you imagine controlling the news and being able to create chaos based on it? Publish a false piece regarding a faction building up forces to invade a system, and it would cause the police to amass an even larger force, destroying the faction. Or vice versa. When war has broken out in a system, you publish a piece to tell citizens everything is okay, and before you know it, mass slaughter.

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha... :twisted:
That is exactly the kinda junk I was thinking about!

Some right propa propaganda for the space-masses to gander with their morning space-tea and space-biscuits. :lol:

Yes of course, there will be an in-game news console that you can access on planets and stations to see the latest big news. To be a great trader/pirate/merc/whatever it is that you are, you'll need to stay up on all the current events so that you can exploit them :)

As for manipulating/controlling news? No, sorry, I like the big dreams though!

And of course, I imagine news will include major/important deaths.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now