Return to “Games”

Re: Freelancer

I'm ashamed to confess I've had a community-patched/tweaked install of Freelancer on my secondary drive for a couple of years now, and I hadn't gotten any further than the first ambush before I was, presumably, distracted by something else.
This thread has motivated me to pick it up again.

The first time undocking after trading in my rustbucket Starflier for a Patriot was a fantastic experience. Watching its drive flare up for cruise mode even more so. Hoping to make much more progress this time around...

ColdSpiral wrote:I'm ashamed to confess I've had a community-patched/tweaked install of Freelancer on my secondary drive for a couple of years now, and I hadn't gotten any further than the first ambush before I was, presumably, distracted by something else.
This thread has motivated me to pick it up again.

The first time undocking after trading in my rustbucket Starflier for a Patriot was a fantastic experience. Watching its drive flare up for cruise mode even more so. Hoping to make much more progress this time around...
A heartwarming post from you ColdSpiral. That flare up is still impressive IMO. I think I've said it before (good grief, I've said so much) but I would have settled for a straight remake of the original Freelancer from Josh. I told him so in another place. Glad he went many steps beyond my hopes and dreams to give me Freelancer 2. :D

Freelancer is one of my favorite games of all time. Due to its ease of modding and the modding community, I wouldn't be where I am today without it. Modding it introduced me to so many concepts and is what pushed me over the edge to get into legitimate programming. I feel like sorry for the kids who are growing up in a post-modding world these days.

I don't even know where to begin with the game itself other than just saying it's all around great. It's such a tightly written and smartly designed game on all fronts. When I'm working on my own projects and I'm not sure about something I often think, "What would Freelancer do?" This is exactly why when I came across Limit Theory, I was so excited. I really wish I knew about it back when it was in the Kickstarter campaign because LT and Josh's work is nothing short of inspirational.

Anyway, enough of that. I've been wanting to register on this forum for quite a while now so here I finally am.

I am pleased to welcome you to the Limit Theory forums Why485. :wave:

Thank you for your inspirational words. :thumbup: I can almost hear Josh when reading your views on Freelancer. I would chastise you for taking your time to register but you did the right thing in the end. ;) I hope you enjoy your time here. You will find many who share your views. :D

Rabid Freelancer fan checking in! :)

I jumped straight into the multiplayer side of things, rather than playing the campaign (which I have completed since). I will never forget the first time I flew into Kusari space; the beautiful colours of the nebula you're presented with blew me away. There are so many unique environments that are all memorable... the gas fields of the Sigma sectors, the smoggyness of the British sectors, the minefield surrounding the Alaska jumphole...

Jolt Freelancer was my stomping ground; no other multiplayer game has come close to beating the fun I had.

Such a unique, and great experience. :)
Image LT Backer Number: 647 of 5449.

Tycow wrote:Rabid Freelancer fan checking in! :)
The more the merrier Tycow. You have been lurking for far too long. Welcome! :D
Tycow wrote: I will never forget the first time I flew into Kusari space; the beautiful colours of the nebula you're presented with blew me away.
Josh will appreciate reading that. Kusari sector space is his favourite. :thumbup:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I plan on being more active here; this seems like a great community (with a few famililar faces I recognise from elsewhere). :)

Josh has excellent taste in space sectors. I'm hoping LT will be the game that is my current generation Freelancer... from what I've seen of Josh and his dev logs, it's certainly looking that way! :D
Image LT Backer Number: 647 of 5449.

IronDuke wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote: whyever c#, tho :ghost:
It's not particularly hard, at least in my experience. Of course, you'll probably rattle off 500,000 other languages that you found easier because you programmers find everything of that nature really easy. :roll:

--IronDuke
There are so many programming languages out there. And every day new ones get developed. It's impossible to know the pro's and con's of each programming language out there. I'm happy to have my 6 (or 7 if you count Beckhoff's "state based programming language") PLC programming languages that are really easy to use. Even though I only use 2-3 of the frequently.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now