Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Predefined sectors

Why shouldn't we? With appropriate resources, I'm sure a spacer would be able to furnish the construction of a ship of his own design.

The ship creator option (which Josh has already implemented, as seen in the tech demos) might not be available from the start of the game, but I imagine that with the ownership of a base or even just access to a shipyard would provide the player with the ability to design (or further upgrade) their ship.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

The Hedge Knight wrote:Why should we get to make ships anyway.

I thought it would just generate tons of random ships to buy and use.
This being a space game, the player's avatar is the ship. Thus, being able to create ships is the customization of your own avatar. Creating the ship in this game is akin to creating your char in Second Life or any other MMO. It just looks like it is extended so that you can also customize other ships as well (easy enough to program in, relatively speaking).

I'm also guessing that there will be plenty of random ships as well. This is just if you want to take it the next step.

If we were to make an analog to other games out there, the ship is the avatar, and thus customizeable. The planets and systems that are generated is the world environment that other games have. I don't know of any other procedural game that allows you to build or customize specific parts of the game world before you play it.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

The Hedge Knight wrote:But it isn't you, it's a ship. Not everyone in the galaxy gets their own personalized ship.
So really, who cares if the player gets something special? This game is about individuality, player freedom, and the idea that there are no boundaries.

Why give yourself the limitation of having to fly in a cookie-cutter ship when you can do what you want? I don't really understand why it's a problem.

Grumblesaur wrote:Why shouldn't we? With appropriate resources, I'm sure a spacer would be able to furnish the construction of a ship of his own design.
That expresses my sentiments rather aptly.
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

The Hedge Knight wrote:It isn't cookie cutter when it is one of millions of other types of ships.
I think you're still missing the point. If you're merely playing the Devil's Advocate, I would ask that you stop. If you're actually arguing against something that would benefit you (the player), then I don't know what to say to you. But look at it this way:

You don't have to use the ship editor if you don't want to.

What I think it comes down to for ships, is that the ship creator is something that is either already in-game, or something that Josh wants to do, making the point kind of moot anyways.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Grumblesaur wrote:
The Hedge Knight wrote:It isn't cookie cutter when it is one of millions of other types of ships.
I think you're still missing the point. If you're merely playing the Devil's Advocate, I would ask that you stop. If you're actually arguing against something that would benefit you (the player), then I don't know what to say to you. But look at it this way:

You don't have to use the ship editor if you don't want to.
You know what, I am going to drop this because you are getting pissy over it. No need for a fight.

I'm not getting pissy, but I really don't understand why this is an issue. It does bring about a new idea, though:
What if there were a chance that an NPC stole the blueprints of your ship (by scanning you with a special piece of equipment or something) and made a copy?

By the same right, this could be the piece of equipment that allows the player to collect blueprints to use in the design of his/her own ship.

Gazz wrote:Wouldn't you already have to possess the blueprint scanning device to scan the blueprint of the blueprint scanning device to scan blueprints of ow. Me head hurts.
Gah, Gazz!! D:
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

Online Now