Return to “Games”

Re: Freelancer

Oh yea. That game.

Anyways, one of the fun things was just how simple it was to mod. No mod editor that takes a gig of memory and 5 minutes to load, no convoluted in-game scripting. Just ... text files. Want completely epic battleship battles? Copy and paste that there. Want a dead silent system? Delete that. Want a jumphole straight from Liberty to Rhineland? 2 lines of text and 15 seconds.

I just hope that LT is as easily moddable (and from what I've seen so far, it's going to far surpass that).

So, it seems Freelancer runs perfectly on linux under wine. At least so far!
It was needed to start Freelancer.exe with the -dx argument so that it would detect proper screen resolution.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:So, it seems Freelancer runs perfectly on linux under wine. At least so far!
It was needed to start Freelancer.exe with the -dx argument so that it would detect proper screen resolution.
Good to know that Katorone! I don't use Linux myself but I am aware that it is the OS of choice for many of the LT members. :D

Katorone wrote:So, it seems Freelancer runs perfectly on linux under wine. At least so far!
!!!!????

(Runs off to perform mandatory verification of this amazing claim...)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
!!!!????

dont mean to sound rude, but whats so amazing about this? It played on my windows xp computer, never tested it now that I have 8, but if I put it in compatibility mode it should be fine.

MrPerson wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:
!!!!????

dont mean to sound rude, but whats so amazing about this? It played on my windows xp computer, never tested it now that I have 8, but if I put it in compatibility mode it should be fine.
Anyone who has tried running anything on linux with wine will know how amazing this claim is. Wine is good, but software compatibility with wine is a finicky thing, specially for a game as old as this. No comparison to XP.

Vartul wrote:Anyone who has tried running anything on linux with wine will know how amazing this claim is. Wine is good, but software compatibility with wine is a finicky thing, specially for a game as old as this. No comparison to XP.
ah well, right there is the reason why I don't use anything but windows. there is nearly no point because almost nothing is compatible with the other OS' so I still don't really understand why Freelancer running on Linux is such a big deal

I still play Freelancer every now and then when I feel a deep craving for LT, as it's the closest thing I have right now. I usually play with the Discovery mod, but I never got into the multiplayer. I was mainly intimidated by the tons of rules. Somehow, singleplayer is still more than enough for me, despite the limited missions and trading.

cuisinart8 wrote:I still play Freelancer every now and then when I feel a deep craving for LT, as it's the closest thing I have right now. I usually play with the Discovery mod, but I never got into the multiplayer. I was mainly intimidated by the tons of rules. Somehow, singleplayer is still more than enough for me, despite the limited missions and trading.
I did as you are doing for many years and then I found this. I only play the singleplayer download of it but I have found it to be a very satisfying experience. :D

Victor Tombs wrote:I did as you are doing for many years and then I found this. I only play the singleplayer download of it but I have found it to be a very satisfying experience. :D
I guess if I'm playing the original campaign for the first time don't need to download this. At least it worth playing this instead of the campaign. :?:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:I did as you are doing for many years and then I found this. I only play the singleplayer download of it but I have found it to be a very satisfying experience. :D
I guess if I'm playing the original campaign for the first time don't need to download this. At least it worth playing this instead of the campaign. :?:
Nothing compares with the original Etsu and I still envy those who are playing it for the first time. This mod just adds and modifies the game in such a way as to be a great follow on to the original experience. :thumbup:

Well, I will continue with the campaign then. Today I was attacked by several strangers for no apparent reason. This is a violent universe. You can't trust no one. :mrgreen:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Online Now