Return to “Games”

Elder Scrolls Online

I was very pessimistic about this after recent beta coverage, though I admit I have yet to actually play it myself. HOWEVER ... catching some of the follow-up and the recanting of several of its harsher critics (like that Angry Joe guy on YouTube), I find my interest piquing. I'm especially heartened to see a lot of design decisions to appeal to the single/solo player and that the best armor in the game will be craftable rather than obtainable by raid/RvR only. The crafting system, which is probably my favorite aspect of any MMO, is especially robust and seems to build upon a lot of the crafting/harvesting conventions that Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind introduced. All in all, it's shaping up to be a solo-friendly MMO set in a theme and mythos I have had a fondness for going aaaaaaaall the way back to Arena in 1994. Might at least help kill a little time come April.
Re: Elder Scrolls Online

I was looking forward to it as well, like a lot, but I had to cut myself off before I got too attached once I heard about its subscription model. :problem:
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I had the dubious joy of playing it during the last two stress tests. Let me put it that way: If they believe they can get away with a 60€ suggested retail price, a monthly subscription and a cash shop on top of that for what they offer, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell that they might be interested in.

It might work as a F2P title, and doubtlessly it's bound to end up there sooner or later - depends on how long Zenimax wants to drag out the inevitable. Too much "same old, same old", the fixed racial constellations are bound to create a lot of whining about population imbalance in PVP, the megaserver solution will probably snuff any kind of emerging local community on the spot, and honestly, it plain looks bad. The animations went from awful to barely passable, the visuals still lack charm (though I hear that the starting areas were not created equally as far as the design quality goes). The combat didn't blow me away, either (to be honest, the only MMO combat system that I found amusing recently was the one in DragonNest...and that's a cheap-ass F2P game).

Also: Theme Park MMO, subscription based. Anybody trying to fish these murky waters has to put up with the local 800-pound-panda, and experience shows that this is a fight you're bound to lose after 4 weeks. That's when the free month runs out, and the kids run back to their old guild to tell them how awful the MMO de jour was.

What a waste of a great license. As a sandbox based MMO, this could have given Everquest Next a run for the money. As a theme park MMO...well, better games have died there.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

I looked forwards to Guild Wars 2 for months, got super hyped up about it. It didn't help that one of the game developers was a member of the steam chat channel I was part of, so members there would naturally hype it up. Anyway, got started, played for like a month, and then become incredibly, incredibly sick of it. To the point where I later tried to play the game and got sick of it again within 10 minutes. It was just nauseating.

I was never happy that they decided to develop this online version of TES. I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt even though it looks like the poor relation of Skyrim but the outlay of cash they require is ridiculous. I'll stick with the single player games and spend the cash on more worthwhile titles that are in the pipeline.

For me, visuals, PVP, and some of the other prevailing complaints about the game don't really matter. I'm not in it for a AAA experience. My greatest criticism of the TES series from Morrowind onward has been the slow creep towards more flash and less substance. This is the first game since Daggerfall where we can explore the whole of Tamriel, and while it's sad that it's taken an MMO to do that, that's worth the price of admission alone, for me. Add to that the crafting system, the wise lack (in my view) of an auction house system, and all that great TES lore and I'll play this as avidly as I still do SWTOR, subscription or no.

I got to play it last year in june/july time for about 1 hour. it was rather fun for an mmo, but it was nothing like normal Elder scrolls games. I followed with interest until they announced it was 15$ a month and never went back. I have several beta codes sitting in my inbox collecting dust. To me, in this day and economy (at least in US) there is no way I would pay 15$ a month for a game. GW2 is keeping my interest with its Living story expansions, and I was sold on it due to angry joes review and the information that it was a 1 time purchase. I bought it and never looked back.

If ESO was BTP with microtransactions that weren't in your face, then I would have had NO problem in playing it, would have gladly played it actually.

To be honest Angry Joe really messed up giving GW2 a 10/10. He was just to hyped up in my opinion.

And to be frank he is starting to show signs that he is going to give ESO a higher than deserved rating. He keeps talking about it taking a corner but nothing they have announced warrants 15 USD a month.

ThymineC wrote:I looked forwards to Guild Wars 2 for months, got super hyped up about it. It didn't help that one of the game developers was a member of the steam chat channel I was part of, so members there would naturally hype it up. Anyway, got started, played for like a month, and then become incredibly, incredibly sick of it. To the point where I later tried to play the game and got sick of it again within 10 minutes. It was just nauseating.
Same here... They kept talking about how they wanted to remove the button mashing... Perhaps for the elementalist and mesmer they succeeded at this. The other classes are just skill spammers anyway.
There is no tactical play. Sure, you can play around with builds and find something that really resonates with how you want to play. And I'm sure many people will have tons of fun playing this build to death, always pushing the same number combo's on their keyboard.
I generally do like how they did the quests though. I've hated the ! and ? icons floating on top of NPC for a long time.

Very curious to see how Shroud of the Avatar will turn out.

Concerning ESO... meh... I'll wait till it's F2P before checking it out.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Hardenberg wrote:I had the dubious joy of playing it during the last two stress tests. Let me put it that way: If they believe they can get away with a 60€ suggested retail price, a monthly subscription and a cash shop on top of that for what they offer, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell that they might be interested in.

It might work as a F2P title, and doubtlessly it's bound to end up there sooner or later - depends on how long Zenimax wants to drag out the inevitable. Too much "same old, same old", the fixed racial constellations are bound to create a lot of whining about population imbalance in PVP, the megaserver solution will probably snuff any kind of emerging local community on the spot, and honestly, it plain looks bad. The animations went from awful to barely passable, the visuals still lack charm (though I hear that the starting areas were not created equally as far as the design quality goes). The combat didn't blow me away, either (to be honest, the only MMO combat system that I found amusing recently was the one in DragonNest...and that's a cheap-ass F2P game).

Also: Theme Park MMO, subscription based. Anybody trying to fish these murky waters has to put up with the local 800-pound-panda, and experience shows that this is a fight you're bound to lose after 4 weeks. That's when the free month runs out, and the kids run back to their old guild to tell them how awful the MMO de jour was.

What a waste of a great license. As a sandbox based MMO, this could have given Everquest Next a run for the money. As a theme park MMO...well, better games have died there.
This is so true (I also played it), in addition, the sneak feels useless ("lets sneak up on that character" - 20 people run past you in the mean time leaving you asking "why the fuck am I sneaking?"), here go to that abandoned cave to do this mission - arrives at the 'abandoned' cave only to see 20 other people there -_- .
Honestly, I don't think it's worth its money and they made a huge mistake to give it the "elder scrolls" title, I mean, I never had the feeling I was playing an elder scrolls game, I had the feeling I was playing a bad ripoff of WoW.
What they should've done in my opinion was make an multiplayer elder scrolls game in the way borderlands do it (you can play together with a handful of friends).
I think ESO is a huge disappointment.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Well think I will buy it dunno if it's because I'm from the old school and a victim of Dark and Light so really know a shit game from a decent one,but this game really hooked me from the get go and as this is a BETA will only get better will possibly give it a few months after launch let the guys who buy it settle in establish a community,as I have a NDA alpha game ramping up beta testing so will be busy with that for the time being.Just hope they don't change it for the masses this is not WOW it follows the Skyrim formula,but blends in great character progression and to me a pretty cool Tamriel to explore with a robust crafting system the PVP is supposed to be awesome but mainly a PVE guy but this may bait my blood lust for the odd player evisceration and incineration. :)

Unfortunately my obsession with collecting has got the better of me and I have now pre-ordered the Physical Imperial PC Edition. :oops:

I don't intend paying any monthly subscription but all that beautiful, physical goodness was just too much for me to ignore. :shifty: The collector within would not be denied and has conquered me yet again. :(

I played the beta and it was fun BUT dispite it appearing to be elder scrolls at face value that illusion soon wore off upon seeing 50+ people all grinding the same quest as myself.

Felt like ToR with a different pain job imho. Not a bad game, but not what it pretends to be either.

Online Now