Return to “General”

what is the gameplay concept

I found this project on Kickstarter and reviewed what was there, then came to this site, and still can't tell what the player is actually expected to do?
I understand it's open, procedural, and limitless. You mention missions, mining, exploration, combat and several other aspects of the game, but I can't find any details on how the game is played?

For instance with mining, I expect in the course of exploration you can survey celestial objects for minerals, and if you find something you need/want you can mine for it collecting some standard units of the resource. Then I imagine you have an inventory of that resource that can be sold, refined, or used to manufacture hardware (ships and equipment?)

In exploration would you be basically a cartographer building maps/records of what's where so you can return to an interesting place, say your favorite mining spot?

For combat who are you fighting if it's not multiplayer? You've created a fleet of ships with AI commanders, if so are the enemies created to match your abilities? are there factions you sympathize with, allies whom you help against other factions?

The concept sounds a lot like "EVE Online" which I love, maybe better, but without a good summary of what the player does, it's hard to tell?
Re: what is the gameplay concept

I mentioned in the previous post that this sounds a lot like EVE online, I do have to qualify that by noting EVE is an MMO.

The reason Limit Theory sounds interesting is that it has a lot of what I like about EVE, and doesn't seem to have some of the stuff I don't like about EVE.

One thing in particular that I hope LT addresses is the "casual player".

In the missions context, as you advance with EVE, the only good way keep advancing is tackle harder missions (makes sense right), unfortunately this always means longer and longer missions. Some missions I did on EVE took 4 hours or more. Not because of difficulty, I far outmatched the opponents firepower and shielding, it just took that long to get to and destroy the multitude. You could not quit in the middle of a mission and come back to complete it later, you had to start over completely.

As with many/most MMO games the majority of players seemed to have hours/days to stay with it and would do so. But for someone who could only afford an hour or two, you quickly reached a point in the game where there was no point in continuing. I had dropped my first subscription for that reason, then a year later tried again, but ended up dropping it again for the same reason.

There seemed no place in the EVE universe for a casual player, or more to the point, nowhere that maintained the level of enjoyment that the game started with.

I believe this is a critical point that LT should address... it should cater to both the casual player and the hard-core player.

Food for thought...

Hey dcasteel, all good questions!

Yes, most of what you said is correct. I will be giving more precise details on gameplay in updates to come, although there are some areas that are obviously not fleshed-out yet.

I do hope that casual players will enjoy LT as well as hardcore players. Keep in mind that, since this is single-player, you can save at any time and reload later..so you'll never be forced into ridiculously long missions!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Deej wrote:
JoshParnell wrote: ..since this is single-player, you can save at any time and reload later..so you'll never be forced into ridiculously long missions!
Thankyou.
Josh, will there also be a 'pause' button? (For life's little interruptions...)
Sure :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I'm only new on here, but it the gameplay seems to me a bit like Mount & Blade. Granted, the setting and scope are much different in LT, but both seem similar in moving around a single-player world with hundreds (or more) NPCs that you interact with and improve (or decrease) your relationship with. In M&B, if you raid someone's village, the village and it's owner are going to be unhappy with you; I imagine it'll be the same in LT. NPCs (and towns and villages) will also give the player missions to perform, for both monetary, goods or reputation rewards. Many of those NPCs are also related to factions, who will go about their business of trade or war with or without any interaction from the player.

Snag wrote:I'm only new on here, but it the gameplay seems to me a bit like Mount & Blade. Granted, the setting and scope are much different in LT, but both seem similar in moving around a single-player world with hundreds (or more) NPCs that you interact with and improve (or decrease) your relationship with. In M&B, if you raid someone's village, the village and it's owner are going to be unhappy with you; I imagine it'll be the same in LT. NPCs (and towns and villages) will also give the player missions to perform, for both monetary, goods or reputation rewards. Many of those NPCs are also related to factions, who will go about their business of trade or war with or without any interaction from the player.
Yes this is pretty much my impression of how things will go with LT from pouring over everything to do with it the last few days. There certainly wont be any main missions to complete, but there will be missions from various places to get involved with. You can choose your own destination as to how you play the games, and take part or not. Join factions or go it alone. Build a fleet or stick with a single ship. Build an empire, or just explore.
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube

JoshParnell wrote:
Deej wrote:
JoshParnell wrote: ..since this is single-player, you can save at any time and reload later..so you'll never be forced into ridiculously long missions!
Thankyou.
Josh, will there also be a 'pause' button? (For life's little interruptions...)
Sure :)
To the people who wanted a pause button, you've got your wish. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Online Now