Return to “General”

Economy and Crafting?

Hi Josh, I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

Usually a lot of what drives me to this kind of games is the economy and crafting (industry) aspect.

Is the economy going to be based on supply and demand as in Eve online or is it more of a fake economy with npcs buying as many items as you can provide always at the same price ?

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but maybe I just didn't see it, is there going to be an industrial/crafting part of the game ? In case there is, how will it work?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Re: Economy and Crafting?

Seventitu wrote:Hi Josh, I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

Usually a lot of what drives me to this kind of games is the economy and crafting (industry) aspect.

Is the economy going to be based on supply and demand as in Eve online or is it more of a fake economy with npcs buying as many items as you can provide always at the same price ?

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but maybe I just didn't see it, is there going to be an industrial/crafting part of the game ? In case there is, how will it work?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Yes, it is a real, supply and demand economy like EVE, prices will fluctuate and of course you will find yourself making very little money if you saturate a single planet's market with the same good.

Yes, there will be an industrial component to the game. Crafting I am unsure of. I will try to provide more details on industry in a future update!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Seems like something of an Industrial Supply-Demand system, like you said. Planet A wants Elements A and B, but in refined quantities. Planet B refines them. So you get them refined on Planet B, then take them and sell them to Planet A. Planet A uses them to make Product A, and you sell Product A to Planet B.

Seems about right.

My feeling is that a strong, balanced economy greatly adds to the longevity of a game. Eve Online is a good example, since the economy essentially drives the game. Unlike many RPGs Eve Online does a great job of creating diverse ways to gather different resources that appeal to all levels of play. A new character mining low level ores have just as an important role as the bitter veteran building hi-tec battleships, in fact the veteran couldn't build the battleships without the newbie mining Veldspar.

I hope this balance can be achieved in LT.

DynamixBoon wrote:My feeling is that a strong, balanced economy greatly adds to the longevity of a game. Eve Online is a good example, since the economy essentially drives the game.
My experience with Eve onlines economy is that it's horrible.

They have one set of minerals for stuff you mine from asteroids in space.
Another set for stuff you mine on planets.
A third set of stuff you mine from moons.
A fourth set of stuff you salvage from wreaks.
A fifth set of stuff that can you can get from reactions
... and so on.

There are so many base materials that it's impossible to keep track of half of them... And then all of these have different refinement processes and are used for different things.

The result is that there is very little trading done in most of the more rare materials and components. Instead of building upon the base economy (asteroid mined) when designing addons they just added new separate economy systems parallel to the first. There are at least 500 different items that have no use other then beeing materials used to build something useful with, supply and demand of these is often negligable since most want to control entire chain and can't rely on consistent supply from other players.

Sure some of it is player driven, but most people looking to trade still run trading missions and trade stuff with NPCs (buy and sell)...
If that isn't a good pointer towards a failed advertised "real" economy I don't know what is.

I used to claim Eve online had a good economy too, until I actually bothered to try to play it!

An economy needs to be simple enough to be fun to engage in, and it also needs to make somewhat sense (why should planets and asteroids consist of 100% different and incompatible raw materials like in Eve?)

Ixos wrote:My experience with Eve onlines economy is that it's horrible.
Agreed, the different, and disconnected ways the resources are gathered is rubbish in Eve (Moon goo is broken). I was more referring to how at whatever level you gather the resources they are still of value in the game. Unlike some RPGs where, for example, as soon as you know how to mine iron, it becomes pointless to mine copper.

Sorry if I was misleading, I was using Eve as an example of a reasonably balanced economy, rather than a good example of resource gathering. :)

I haven't the slightest clue on what Eve Online economy is like. However, I am familiar with the economy of the X series so...Josh, how similar to the X series do you plan the economy to be? While watching the pitch video my brain kept shouting X! X2! X3:R! X3:TC! X:AP! so I am very glad when you cite X as one of your inspirations. :)

Also, I am assuming that "Industrial component" of the game means you'll get to buy your own manufacturing stations and somehow cook up something for the universe, is this correct?
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:Also, I am assuming that "Industrial component" of the game means you'll get to buy your own manufacturing stations and somehow cook up something for the universe, is this correct?
From the kickstarter page - I think this answers your question:

Build Your Empire.

Buy or construct buildings on planet surfaces as well as stations in space. Acquire mines, factories, trading outposts, and more. Set up production chains to build guns, munitions, or even new ships. When hauling goods for a profit gets old, why not try manufacturing the goods instead?
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube

Thanks for the confirmation aspman! The economy part of this game will be driving gameplay for me so having lots of things to do (and manage) would be great for replayability. Build up a mini trading empire then click on "New Game" to start from scratch again.
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:Thanks for the confirmation aspman! The economy part of this game will be driving gameplay for me so having lots of things to do (and manage) would be great for replayability. Build up a mini trading empire then click on "New Game" to start from scratch again.
We are similar in that way, I started a thread in the suggestions section as to how I would like some of this to play out, you may want to read over that viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube

Online Now