Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #13: January 2014

Flatfingers wrote:4. Man, the flickering of the point light sources when doing a rotation is really bugging me. I've never been able to figure out how to prevent that in my own 3D space game, so it's possible that this is getting to me more than to others. But I'm finding it very distracting.

Am I a bad person?
At the beginning of the update the star flicker caught my eye again :thumbdown: ..really looking forward to this annoying little blight being squelched. That and asteroid popping.
But ha, the HUD awesomeness certainly did a good job distracting me away from these thoughts! I think the glass mode will do very fine in heavy dust. :squirrel:
Oh, and dat ship. :D Pretty darn good-looking for a placeholder.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Another great update.

I like this focus on systems rather than bashing out specific features. I think we've already seen one of the great consequences of this approach with the node based UI, and I'll expect we'll see many more fantastic features. :)

Giving the player the ability to customise their UI with workspaces and modules is going to work very well considering the potentially different types of game-play possible. I wonder if you would be possible for players to share their UI configurations?

With the modular way things are developing, would it be possible to link modules in unusual ways? For example would it be possible to link a scanner with a turret to create a pseudo omli-directional scanner?

On the subject of linking stuff, I was imagining what shooting a asteroid with a Mining Laser would look like in the node UI. Would the mining laser actually link the to separate entities, temporarily merging them in to a single entity with possibly emergent properties? Could this approach be used with other modules like tractor beams, shield projectors, even docking ports for example?

Keep up the great work, I can't wait for the next video update :thumbup:

DynamixBoon wrote:With the modular way things are developing, would it be possible to link modules in unusual ways? For example would it be possible to link a scanner with a turret to create a pseudo omli-directional scanner?
I think this is a really good idea. I like it. You can put your sensors in the front of your ship, sure, but maybe better in a turret for example so that way you don't need to face the object or sector you are scanning. Then you can scan without turning the full ship. :thumbup:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Lum wrote:Yeah, of those are plenty around. Haters to the bone. But the important thing is that LT is getting good outside our community, which is fundamental for its success :thumbup:
Exactly! There are people you just can't please unless you grovel before them in the dirt... And even then... So f$sk them.
I love it when people hate something but explain why.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:
Lum wrote:Yeah, of those are plenty around. Haters to the bone. But the important thing is that LT is getting good outside our community, which is fundamental for its success :thumbup:
Exactly! There are people you just can't please unless you grovel before them in the dirt... And even then... So f$sk them.
I love it when people hate something but explain why.
Yup, his explanation consisted of posting a video of a game that has a HUD that consists of..... A two lines in the corners of the screen. :twisted: Thank you for your insight! :wave:

Sooooooo cool!!!!! Love the idea of being able to manually go around a scan the surrounding area. Not sure how it would work out but it would be pretty cool to be able to mark down certain signal types ourselves also. Sort of like if I see a wormhole that's hidden when I find it with the sensor I can tag it. Then down the road when I see that same signal again the name will pop up. But then that would require everything in the universe to have it's own unique signal...not sure that's even going to be considered and to be honest with everything else that's being implemented it's not the most important feature ;)

Flatfingers wrote: ...
1. Definitely, having some kind of log & spatial notes will be critical :)

2. Yes! Great idea, I never thought about having a frequency-space version, but that makes way too much sense! So you could have a temporal mode or an FFT mode, where the radial graph is actually a frequency spectrum!

That would be awesome, and actually make it a lot easier to recognize complex patterns. It'd also make it a lot easier to recognize multiple objects with interfering patterns, since in frequency space they are just adding together, but will result in a difficult-to-understand signature in the temporal domain.

Wow, awesome idea, can't believe it hadn't already occurred to me :D :clap:

3. I'll look into it :monkey:

4. Not positive what you're talking about but I'm assuming you mean the stars? Yes they flicker a bit, no you're not a bad person, but it's very difficult to have a sharp, crisp starfield that doesn't suffer from any temporal aliasing. I'm working on it :geek:

5. It is a good feeling ;) :squirrel:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Yes! Great idea, I never thought about having a frequency-space version, but that makes way too much sense! So you could have a temporal mode or an FFT mode, where the radial graph is actually a frequency spectrum!

That would be awesome, and actually make it a lot easier to recognize complex patterns. It'd also make it a lot easier to recognize multiple objects with interfering patterns, since in frequency space they are just adding together, but will result in a difficult-to-understand signature in the temporal domain.

Wow, awesome idea, can't believe it hadn't already occurred to me :D :clap:
Fantastic idea, but to get this straight: the space around the scanner's centre represents the frequency domain, with greater frequencies as you go clockwise around it, and the line magnitude represents the combined strength of all signals with the particular frequency that corresponds to the angle the line is drawn at.

So what would be the time-varying behaviour of this graph? Would you periodically wipe the slate clean, tabula rasa, and let it build up again? Would lines "decay" (shrink) continuously over time unless signals of that frequency were being constantly received?

HowSerendipitous wrote:Except for the unusual person who hates it and prefers no HUD whatsoever. :crazy:
Nothing wrong with not wanting any HUD. I guess I'll be turning the HUD On and Off constantly, just to contemplate more pleasantly these nebulae. :D
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:
HowSerendipitous wrote:Except for the unusual person who hates it and prefers no HUD whatsoever. :crazy:
Nothing wrong with not wanting any HUD. I guess I'll be turning the HUD On and Off constantly, just to contemplate more pleasantly these nebulae. :D
There's a difference between not wanting to have a HUD displayed at a particular time and thinking a HUD is horrible.

I really liked this update. There was a lot about that scanner and the new hud that appealed to me. I figured that was a good a time as any to drop in and make a few comments about how I saw these elements working in game.

Firstly I really like the look and feel of the scanner. I can see different scanner models having faster or slower scanning speeds. Also weaker scanners could have lower resolutions, aka less lines radiating out from the scanner making it harder to pinpoint a target.

Also different energy types could have scanner signatures, aka a type of sine wave oscillation to the energy patterns, these patterns could be used to identify different elements in the game, even from outside visual range.

Then when I saw the worldview overlay, that made me think of the scanner as well. What if the scanner systems on your craft also allowed you to detect hard points and other elements of the ships you scanned (again with varying degree's of accuracy and resolution, based on the quality/type of scanner.), and would then project those hard points onto the element in question. What if that same node tech was used to display real time information about the composition of asteroids that the scanner is scanning, or the energy levels of a station or vessel you are actively scanning. High quality scanners might even be able to detect engines powering up or weapon types based on their energy signatures.

What if different scanners had differing functional capabilities, one might allow for better long range detection of energy signals, while another might be better able to detect the individual hard points on a ship. Potentially you could use different scanners in tandem to get better results.

With this type of nodal interface, there is a limitless amount of options you could implement into the scanners. So much variety and variability could be achieved, making scanners a very unique way to make the way the systems on a particular ship "see" the galaxy around them, different. Small fighter type craft might have to rely on short range scanners that are better equipped for penetrating the hulls of ships to detect hard points and cargo, while larger ships might be able to maintain a full array of scanners.

Anyways I'm rambling, but I really hope you are able to take the scanner system and the worldview overlay and combine them into one cohesive sensory system that is capable of drastically changing how you interact with the environment.

Keep up the great work!

O.

Online Now