Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

From what I understand, the scale difference limitations are due to the physics engine in general. These statements were made after he made his own engine.

The double precision ended up making more of a difference than anything else which increases scale, but probably not to death star vs. fighter level.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:From what I understand, the scale difference limitations are due to the physics engine in general. These statements were made after he made his own engine.

The double precision ended up making more of a difference than anything else which increases scale, but probably not to death star vs. fighter level.
If I recall correctly, Josh was able to scale up the size of planets and the distance between objects by a factor of 10. I'm hoping this will mean that we can at least expect a 1000-2000 fold difference between the largest and smallest vessels in the game.

ThymineC wrote:
DWMagus wrote:From what I understand, the scale difference limitations are due to the physics engine in general. These statements were made after he made his own engine.

If I recall correctly, Josh was able to scale up the size of planets and the distance between objects by a factor of 10. I'm hoping this will mean that we can at least expect a 1000-2000 fold difference between the largest and smallest vessels in the game.
Aren't those different issues? The issue with size of planets and distances, as I thought I understood it, is that without double precision the massive numbers involved start making things go a little haywire.

While the problem with large variations in ship scales was simply the fact that collision detection becomes a massively more processor intensive task the larger the ships in question become. If that is the case, not sure the switch to double precision has anything to do with making the calculations involved run any faster.

Mordakai wrote:Aren't those different issues? The issue with size of planets and distances, as I thought I understood it, is that without double precision the massive numbers involved start making things go a little haywire.

While the problem with large variations in ship scales was simply the fact that collision detection becomes a massively more processor intensive task the larger the ships in question become. If that is the case, not sure the switch to double precision has anything to do with making the calculations involved run any faster.
They could be. I'm hoping for the biggest difference in scales that the engine can support either way.

I think it was meant facetiously... as in:

1. People are waiting on Josh's new video to drop.
2. They will know when it does because there'll be a new thread in the Announcements section.
3. This will be the topmost thread.
4. The topmost thread saw some action recently.
5. But it was from one of the first videos, not the latest one.
6. And you were the last one to comment on that old thread.
7. Therefore you are pure evil.

I think.

Also, oh, bollocks, now my name is the last to post in this thread....

Flatfingers wrote:I think it was meant facetiously... as in:

1. People are waiting on Josh's new video to drop.
2. They will know when it does because there'll be a new thread in the Announcements section.
3. This will be the topmost thread.
4. The topmost thread saw some action recently.
5. But it was from one of the first videos, not the latest one.
6. And you were the last one to comment on that old thread.
7. Therefore you are pure evil.

I think.

Also, oh, bollocks, now my name is the last to post in this thread....
This. Also, Stop bumping this! Oh wait.

Online Now