Return to “Games”

Re: Freelancer

Played it not long back with some mods maybe Discovery mod not to sure though it's the main reason I was so excited about Star Citizen,as SC is in truth what Chris Roberts imagined for Freelancer/2 but of course publisher and the tech at the time put paid to that so SC is the natural successor to Freelancer pretty much Freelancer 2 in all but name really. :think:

darker70 wrote:Played it not long back with some mods maybe Discovery mod not to sure though it's the main reason I was so excited about Star Citizen,as SC is in truth what Chris Roberts imagined for Freelancer/2 but of course publisher and the tech at the time put paid to that so SC is the natural successor to Freelancer pretty much Freelancer 2 in all but name really. :think:
I was drawn to Star Citizen for similar reasons darker70. I am not sure if Chris had any imaginings for Freelancer 2 as his full vision for the original Freelancer never came to fruition. Freelancer turned out to be a game which had been cruelly "cut off at the knees" in some respects by the developments of that tragic period for the gaming community when CR felt burned out. Luckily there was enough in place to still allow this awesome game to be released. I don't think he had anything to do with Project Lonestar as it was destined for the XBox 360. What we are seeing with Star Citizen is more of a blending of ideas than what could be described as Freelancer 2. :)

I am still hoping that Limit Theory will be more of a spiritual successor to the original Freelancer than SC. :D

Is a freelancer a mercenary knight who works for free? :twisted:

Yes, yes I've played it. :thumbup: Rather a good game, I was initially apprehensive about the control scheme, then I realised Chris Roberts knows his shizzle and wanted mooooaarrr games just like it.

10 years later.....................

HowSerendipitous wrote:Is a freelancer a mercenary knight who works for free? :twisted:

Yes, yes I've played it. :thumbup: Rather a good game, I was initially apprehensive about the control scheme, then I realised Chris Roberts knows his shizzle and wanted mooooaarrr games just like it.

10 years later.....................
It's a control scheme some find hard to accept; especially the hardcore joystick jockeys. I felt right at home with what Josh provided for the LTP (freelancer mode) and he tells us he has improved on that so I am sure I will enjoy the experience. :D

Not to mention all the other space sims queuing up. :clap:

As you say, "10 years later....................". :thumbup:

I was out of he gaming community for a while and the only space sim I still have around is Freelancer. I had to pull it out when I supported the Kickstarter campaign for Limit Theory just to feed the craving for an awesome space sim that almost overwhelmed me :D One of my all time favorite games that I still pull out every once and a while.

happyguy142 wrote:I was out of he gaming community for a while and the only space sim I still have around is Freelancer. I had to pull it out when I supported the Kickstarter campaign for Limit Theory just to feed the craving for an awesome space sim that almost overwhelmed me :D One of my all time favorite games that I still pull out every once and a while.
I'm so happy to read that..er...happyguy142. You also sound like a luckyguy. If I could take just one game to a desert island it would have to be Freelancer. I'm assuming that Limit Theory wouldn't be available of course. :D

Baile nam Fonn wrote:Canada Post tracker is telling me that my ordered copy of Freelancer arrived in good time, apparently unhindered by the winter storm. Excuse me while I sally forth to the post office! :D
If this is your first experience with the game Baile nam Fonn I envy you. It is not the groundbreaking game it was when first released but it is still the space sim that I keep returning to time after time. If Limit Theory can give me the same buzz that Freelancer did when I first played it all those years ago then I will indeed be a very happy man.

Please let us know how you get on and your feelings and observations (positive and negative) about the game. :D

Baile nam Fonn wrote:Canada Post tracker is telling me that my ordered copy of Freelancer arrived in good time, apparently unhindered by the winter storm. Excuse me while I sally forth to the post office!
I was going to ask how you were getting on - keep us posted on how you find it!

I really loved Freelancer because early on, it held your hand, but in a way that didn't make it seem like you were dumb, but involved you in the plot as if you were central to it without feeling like you're central. It did a lot of things right.
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC

I wish I could have gotten to see freelancer in its hayday. I bought it sometime in 2012 and beat it, was pretty fun. though I was disappointed I could not fly anything bigger than a small frigate or have wingmen or something, but I know its an older game, dunno if they could have done it. Though some mods are keeping it alive, I only really got it to play the freeworlds tides of war mod but then I discovered how fun the base game was.

At one point I was like "Hey, where's the mining tutorial?" (is there a mining introduction that I missed, or preempted perhaps?) but then I realized it was probably pretty close to what Josh has described as his vision of LT mining. It was fun figuring it out, and then frolicking around the wreckage field. It was then that I really started to appreciate cruise mode, and I had a blast trying to stay one step ahead of the Bloodhounds! The poor profits from that excursion did serve to dampen my enthusiasm for this fresh take on space mining/salvaging, however. :problem:

I can see why you guys are so curious about my experience with this.. gotta say, I'm not disappointed with this purchase. It sheds light on LT for me, and, interestingly, vice versa. :geek:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Baile nam Fonn wrote:At one point I was like "Hey, where's the mining tutorial?" (is there a mining introduction that I missed, or preempted perhaps?) but then I realized it was probably pretty close to what Josh has described as his vision of LT mining. It was fun figuring it out, and then frolicking around the wreckage field. It was then that I really started to appreciate cruise mode, and I had a blast trying to stay one step ahead of the Bloodhounds! The poor profits from that excursion did serve to dampen my enthusiasm for this fresh take on space mining/salvaging, however. :problem:

I can see why you guys are so curious about my experience with this.. gotta say, I'm not disappointed with this purchase. It sheds light on LT for me, and, interestingly, vice versa. :geek:
Scrap mining is one of the least profitable activities in unmodded Freelancer. Instead of mining, trade first. Loop around the major systems and stop at the stations, and from there you'll be able check more price options for items and make a larger profit. It'll also clue you in as to where the best places to sell mined materials are.

There's a silver field in the Colorado system that yields moderately well, and that's a good start.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Hi,

I have been playing Freelancer for last 10 years. Never found any better space game then this and Frankly i am also here because of Freelancer ;)
I hope the LT projects give me same inspiration as Freelancer did for another 10 years to play it. :D

Online Now