Return to “General”

Art Design Logs

Hey everyone. I just want to ask if there are any art logs by the Art Designer Andy.

I really enjoy reading through the logs of the new things that Josh does with the coding on a daily/monthly basis. Is there a similar log for what Andy does with the models and such? I'd love to read up on those too.
Re: Art Design Logs

I guess some "classical" design could go into the UI. Things like icons, stylisch frames and so on...

Otherwise, building blocks that are assembled by procedural generation into ships and stations. It would be difficult to tell from the outside which is Josh's programming and what has been done by Andy, though.

Rabiator wrote:I guess some "classical" design could go into the UI. Things like icons, stylisch frames and so on...

Otherwise, building blocks that are assembled by procedural generation into ships and stations. It would be difficult to tell from the outside which is Josh's programming and what has been done by Andy, though.
The building blocks are ATM also generated by code...

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Andy does not much in regard of models because they are created by joshs code and noone has ever seen them when josh starts a new (test) game.

I really dunno what andy is doing in this project
(Please dont be mad andy...) ive never seen anything from him that would justify his "art lead" tag...
Josh has mentioned several times that Andy has been providing UI design help, and in Andy's introduction thread Josh also said:
JoshParnell wrote:I know you were all worried about a programmer trying to make things look good...fear not, this man has an eye for beauty :D

But seriously, I'm very happy to have Andy (like he said, best friend IRL) on board! With his artistic abilities, I can focus more on the code while he makes everything look great, ensures that the UI is sleek and intuitive, and so on. It's gonna be great :)

Because really, those of you with prototype access know that the ship generator badly needs the attention of someone with an artistic eye :(

Dev Log: Friday, July 19, 2013
JoshParnell wrote:I also started working on a generalized listview widget, which I hope will become the powerhouse widget for a lot of different scenarios like the market, asset viewer, etc. Andy has done some great UI concepts for this type of widget and has really inspired me to get to work on something fancy. We're hoping to support multiple types of views (tiles vs. lists), customizable scaling, and, of course, extensive filtering options so that you can navigate quickly to whatever it is that you're searching for. I'm excited about the technical prospects of such a widget
Dev Log: Wednesday, July 24, 2013
JoshParnell wrote:Didn't really see anything that looked too interesting today. Luckily, I managed to meet up with Andy (since he lives in LA, which is just a hop, skip, and a jump away). He and another graphicsy friend and I sat around talking about procedural stories and AI for quite a while, which was pretty interesting. Andy and I also got to discuss a lot of interface-related concepts (in person, for once). As I said yesterday, I expected Tuesday to be the best day, and I think it was and will remain so. Still, it was totally worth it :D
Ship System (Hardpoint) Interface
JoshParnell wrote:Oh I completely agree that there is a long way to go on the hardpoint interface. The most important thing for me was to get it functional so that I could use the "full" widgets to do something in the demo. Like I said, it is new this week so it's going to get plenty more love. My main point in showing it is to convey that there will be more control over individual hardpoints than demonstrated in previous videos.

Andy is already working on concepts for it, and we've agreed that it's one of the more high-priority UI design problems.

I would like to have something that is correlated with the 3D view of the ship, however it is of course not possible to display all the information of each hardpoint in this manner, especially on a large ship. I think there is probably a hybrid solution somewhere out there that could work well.

But yes, that is absolutely not the final design, just a functional intermediate!
But really, Andy is an unknowable, mystical force.
JoshParnell wrote:
Katawa wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:EDIT - Oh, but Andy has spent a lot of time there...maybe he will give us his opinion if we are lucky 8-)
He's sort of godlike in that way. He walks among us like we walk among dogs. We cower when he raises his hand, we salivate when he shows us scraps, we shoulder in jealously when he shows his affection to any single one of us. Why are we yoked by him so? Our bondage is our proof, our shame is not knowing when we're being shameful. Ruefully he shakes his head, "What," he wonders, "does a dog think anyway?"

Or maybe he just doesn't post often.
This is poetry. :clap:
Anyhow, he's not really active in the forums. Even though Josh is fantastic at keeping us updated on what he's working on via the dev logs, I'm certain that there's a lot of Limit Theory design work, conceptualisation and planning that we just don't have the proper insight into. The behind-the-behind-the-scenes stuff, if you will.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Ah sweet. Thanks a lot Just_Ice_au. Maybe the council of Elders get some more info on the background knowledge of what is making the game. As much as I know that Josh is amazingly good at coding and programming, he can't possibly do it all alone. Andy is probably doing things in the background. I hope he'll be recognized for those things too. :) :squirrel: :monkey: :ghost:

Online Now