Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #11: November 2013

I'm not sure if it's been addressed before, but what are the mineral distributions like between asteroids? Can asteroids yield multiple kinds of minerals, and will there be different types of asteroids that yield minerals in different but consistent ratios (like in EVE). If so, will the AI be able to reason about which type/s of asteroids to mine based on their production / mercantile goals and knowledge about what minerals are required to build what items. Will the agents have complete knowledge about which minerals are required to build which items, or will this be something that they may have incomplete knowledge about and have to learn? If they do have incomplete knowledge, could information running/exchange be integrated into this?

JoshParnell wrote:
ThymineC wrote:They do not currently have any kind of penalty in place for converging on the same rock, so there's not any explicit force preventing them from doing so, it's just that the stochastic nature of it all makes that unlikely.
So there's no "politeness" variable built in yet? :lol:

I know whenever I played EVE Online and there were multiple people mining the same asteroid belt, it was considered polite to pick a group of asteroids further along the belt rather than just settling in right next to the next player. So I wonder if rivalry, politeness and other human-like behaviours of this kind will be built into the AI neural net at some point?

That is incredible Josh!

Few notes on map:
1. It would be cool to see some activity on it, like flashing red symbols if there is combat etc.
2. Make some markings to the system nodes so its possible to quickly identify if there is station, what faction is in control of it, and how rich are asteroid belts are (all of that shoud be explored at first), so map actually becoms a very important data base.
3. keep up the good work! :squirrel:
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

Wow, that UI sure is pretty... But how is it used to command ships?

Suppose you're on the universe map, you scroll down to a ship, and want it to move to specific location in another sector. How would you go about it?
I'm probably missing the insight into how the usability is, probably because I also have no clue about data structures and the likes. The fact that everything related to a ship is accessible is obviously awesome, but the way interaction is handled is equally important. Perhaps even more so because you allow us to dig deep in the nodes.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I believe the old command interface we know and love is still going to be how we command things. The universe map will be just that, a larger overview that we can dig into if we want, but I doubt it will be what we're actually using for unit control.
Grumblesaur wrote:we're going to need
Kvallning wrote:to get beyond Thunderdome
The Four Word Story Thread|IRC Needs You!|Game FAQ
There is NO PREORDER OR DONATION POSSIBILITY
In Josh we trust.

Kvallning wrote:I believe the old command interface we know and love is still going to be how we command things. The universe map will be just that, a larger overview that we can dig into if we want, but I doubt it will be what we're actually using for unit control.
That would be a shame though. There's no reason why commanding ships couldn't be done through the nodal UI.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I think the nodal "system level view" might very well be used as a navigation map. It really looks great!

However, the "link lines" to parent nodes are not necessary in this respect. Nodal organization is not of interest, when ordering your ship/fleet.
What is of interest are wormhole links. Those must not (optically) interfere with the "nodal organization links", which is why the later should not be visible in the navigaton map, IMHO.

Deggial wrote:I think the nodal "system level view" might very well be used as a navigation map. It really looks great!

However, the "link lines" to parent nodes are not necessary in this respect. Nodal organization is not of interest, when ordering your ship/fleet.
What is of interest are wormhole links. Those must not (optically) interfere with the "nodal organization links", which is why the later should not be visible in the navigaton map, IMHO.
But when you are navigating your ships, or giving orders/making missisons you would still need to specify objects of interest. And that's when nodes could come in handy.

Like telling a npc-ship to go to system 1 and pickup an item from the "Decade eagle" then go into system 2 and sell this item at a specific station and then go and shot some misseles on the engine of the ship "infidellity" and extort its pilot into giving you a specific item in his cargo-hold.

The nice thing with nodes is that it can be as specific as you need, but still give you a very simple overview for the big picture stuff.

rickisen wrote:The nice thing with nodes is that it can be as specific as you need, but still give you a very simple overview for the big picture stuff.
Indeed. I was impressed that Josh at a point even went down to the different hardpoints. This opens up a lot of configuration for people who want it. Eg get a few turrets on these hardpoints to target fighters, other missiles, etc.
Though I'm very curious to see what tools Josh has in mind to give us the ability to manipulate this.

Wow, nice. :clap:

Wouldn't it be more informative if the "dots" in the system map were colored in compliance with what they are (eg: astroids are represented by brown dots, planets by green, ...).
This way one would immediately see the "properties" of a system (miners could look for systems with many astroids, traders for systems with stations,... without having to visit the system but just by looking at the map)
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

JoshParnell wrote:
Grumblesaur wrote:I noticed two interesting things:

Many of the placenames in this new video had syllabic Rs (that is, Rs unaccompanied by vowels).
Some ships have domes on them now.
The naming algorithm sucks and I would do well to study your posts :D
Actually, given that most of those syllabic-R names were in the same cluster of systems, it actually creates the appearance of a localized phoneme inventory for that region.

Or, in other words, it looks like that sector has its own primary language, particularly where syllabic /r/ is a valid phoneme, whereas other languages (in other sectors) may not allow for it.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Online Now