Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Player character being "on" a station

I've been toying with something like that.

When size doesn't matter, a station can have massively fat scanners and communications equipment.
  • While on a station - even if it's not your own - you "see" what the station sees.
  • For a modest fee you could also tap into what the station-owned ships see.
    (probably some faction relation required)
  • You may be able to accept missions in other stations, see the inventory in other stations and buy something (into local station inventory), see fights or loot dropping where you normally wouldn't spot a pirate... useful stuff.
Could be a serious benefit in a larger battle or you could spot trade opportunities in really remote places.

So even if you may not own a station for quite a while, they could play a useful role in the game beyond being "the town" where you sell your loot and upgrade equipment.
In X:Rebirth the "walking around stations" part feels even more constricted than seeing the universe through the small window in your cockpit.
I'd rather have the opposite.
(Partially) being able to use the capabilities of a station while on it would give it more than novelty value. It would not be mandatory because those abilities only differ in quantity but it would be desirable. =)

It would definitely be a big advantage at the start of the game when you don't have much of a fleet to do a lot of scouting.
Eventually the player's mobile means may surpass those of a station but this "borrowing" of a station's abilities could bridge the gap between early and late gameplay, which is generally a tricky thing to do.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

DWMagus wrote:Is it possible to have it where if you leave the game long enough unattended a small rotation is applied to the camera?
It's a good idea, as long as it is optional. I don't want to have to reset the camera every few seconds or minutes every time I stop for a while to admire the scenery.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

ThymineC wrote:In Limit Theory, will you have a personal hangar at stations that you could store items within, like in EVE Online?
Yes. This is already in place in the prototype, so I doubt the feature will be removed. 8-)
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Would that RPG element element of walking around a ship be able to be done within the time frame of the release of the game (excluding expansion ideas). Perhaps you could do that and then have an optional strategic frontal view of the ship as a commander of large carrier ship would. If you could control the space station (space stations too could also be fitted with weapons), you could attack ships in sight from a first person ship view.

ThymineC wrote:
DaneusX wrote:Would that RPG element element of walking around a ship be able to be done within the time frame of the release of the game (excluding expansion ideas).
I'm 97% confident the answer is no.
I can confirm this. It is completely off the table. ThymineC is correct in his confidence.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
piloting stations

Can we control a station like we can pilot ship (can we take direct control of a station to fire its weapons ourselves?) if we can this would gave players a great deal of control over their assets (its a great deal considering the size of stations) and allow the players who want the control their stations directly a great deal of satisfaction. also it would make this game very unique not to mention "revolutionizing" gaming (it may or may not be a great deal of importance for players to be able to DIRECTLY control their stations, I think it would be.)

Online Now