Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Music!

Rabcor wrote:Now we're talking! didn't know you had it in you <3 I am quite enjoying this song. 20 minutes of awesomeness 8-)

I'd love to see them (make an honest attempt to) play this live :lol:
Then don't miss an epic.
Which they have done live many and many.
Just_Ice_au wrote:If we're talking soundtrack of my life, the defining band has to be R.E.M.
Somehow during Rockband I always get stuck doing the vocals because no one else will, and for some reason the game refuses to register my attempts at Orange Crush despite doing any other song with ease.

unrelated3songcombo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVXmMMSo47s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zYOKFjpm9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJI0pTJIha0
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Katawa wrote:
Just_Ice_au wrote:If we're talking soundtrack of my life, the defining band has to be R.E.M.
Somehow during Rockband I always get stuck doing the vocals because no one else will, and for some reason the game refuses to register my attempts at Orange Crush despite doing any other song with ease.
Probably has more to do with Michael Stipe's alleged "mumbling lyrical style" than any shortcoming on your part. :thumbup:
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

REM seems like it could greatly serve as an alternative to stoner rock for me :D really relaxing that song, Drive for example. Orange Crush is also quite nice, i'm fairly certain i've heard the latter before too.

I need to listen to more of that Symphony X stuff, it's going to find it's place in my MP3 player soon enough, sounds like listening to that stuff can be compared to listening to an audiobook, the music tells you a story.

Hahaha, that 3 song combo of yours, i recognize only the first song but the other 2 are certainly interesting, old music is just like old games... it has something it's modern equivalent usually lacks. I wonder why...

Wall of text within discussing Just_Ice_au's post :shifty:
Spoiler:      SHOW
I had quite a good time discussing that too Just_Ice_au, but since we got asked to stop, of course we had to end it before it'd get out of hand :roll: lets stick strictly with music related stuff though. I can tell you right now that over my 20 years my taste in music has changed a lot. I started with only the softest of music, occasionally soft rock songs too, i remember this was my favorite song at some pre-10 age... for a while the heaviest song i'd listen to was this which i still today consider one of the best songs i've ever heard, "it's sort of both an alpha and omega for me as i heard it at the start, and re-discovered it when everything was over". I was only 12 when i was listening to ac/dc all the time.

The kid who never understood why people would listen to loud or fast music. When i was 13 attempts were made by some "wannabe gangsta" types to get me into rap, honest attempt but failed miserably. The closest i came to liking rap was this, and it's hardly rap since you know... the original is still there underneath the remix. Great song btw. then i already told you the story but by the time i was 17 i was a fan of this kind of stuff (linked only for music video), the kid i was 7 years before then if he had had any choice he would never have heard a song like that. Needless to say i wouldn't have been able to imagine liking it. But as you can see from the music i was raised listening to i turned 180° and went the exact opposite direction of wherever i had headed. I stayed on course too and now so much later i'm still listening to the "later" stuff.

Looking back at it, the music i was raised with i can still listen to, sometimes like depending on quality. The metal i can like, also the rock. but what was inbetween (linkin park, limp bizkit, disturbed and similar) i can't listen to anymore, they just sound silly to me now. The only music i don't listen to anymore that i ever liked was the types i used as a stepping stone to get to what i really like the most by now.

But the question is how i ever got into classical music and opera, that was also like you're talking about just added on top of everything fairly randomly probably thanks to (like Victor) being open to different things.

However i do remember reading scientific research on music and it's psychological & social effects. In that research it was clear that choices in music can be made by various judgement (from group pressure to actually just personality) but it was extremely clear that music had an effect on people, apart from heavy music inspiring violent and strong emotions and soft music inspiring serenity and calmness while listening to it, music also seems to have a long term effect, especially on those who don't care enough to manage what they're listening to or how they "hear" it. Bottom line was that if you listen to depressing music for a few years you're gonna get depressed except for rare cases (which i've managed to make myself, by just being aware of the issue and not allowing the negative emotions of music to affect me at all, sounds weird coming from a metalhead right? seeing as i listen to the most aggressive music you'll ever find! i've managed to become less aggressive over time despite listening to it. All because that article made me aware of this.) as much as humans can shape music, music can shape humans according to what i read. The article encouraged people to listen to happier music and avoid "emo" music.
Also, after all this REM how about some Jethro Tull? i'm sure they've been mentioned before, but not enough ;)
This is where the cat is from and yes you should definitely watch that.

Now that's an inspired move on your part Rabcor. I mean the "hide it" idea. I tip my hat to you.

Don't misunderstand me, I read what you have to say and enjoy your mixed bag of reminiscence, recommendation, philosophy etc. along with Just_Ice (+1 indeed :lol: ). It's fascinating stuff and tells me a lot about how Rabcor was built, torn down and rebuilt. You have already endeared yourself to me by saying that rap doesn't play a part in your life. As I said before rap and country & western are the only types of music that make me nauseous.

AND, seeing as just_Ice couldn't restrain himself from mentioning the gentle beast that forms part of my core I offer this :D

Finally from a different facet of of my edifice I give you this, from a true master (Born: November 3, 1933, York England) . Thanks for all the music R.I.P. my friend. :cry:

Rabcor wrote:I need to listen to more of that Symphony X stuff, it's going to find it's place in my MP3 player soon enough, sounds like listening to that stuff can be compared to listening to an audiobook, the music tells you a story.
The first song I ever heard from them had me irrevocably and absurdly hooked forever after. Things would never be the same, so, come along won't you?
Rabcor wrote:Also, after all this REM how about some Jethro Tull? i'm sure they've been mentioned before, but not enough ;)
Any time at all.
Victor Tombs wrote:As I said before rap and country & western are the only types of music that make me nauseous.
Surely some exceptions could be made? Sometimes just for fun.

FRESH BONUS SONG

Ah Sonata Arctica, i'm fairly certain i've tried listening to them once before, but i guess that in the end i've just never been a big fan of power metal. And thanks for addicting me to Symphony X.

That John Barry sutff is also quite soothing, i like it.

I just hopped back in here now to link you a song from the recent amnesia game. I have not played it, but my friend linked this to me and i have to admit this song is beautiful... tears me up even :cry: this right here, is definitely something i would consider a masterpiece.

Funny that as i'm writing this i'm in the middle of making adjustment to the ALSA (audio) drivers in linux, with a lot of guidance i've managed to successfully make settings to successfully upmix stereo sources to 5.1 or whatever else i want. However the method is unfiltered so it basically just primitively repeats the track for all the speakers rather than trying to divide parts of the track to different speakers. A whole lot better than nothing, but i'd like to have a bit more control over it and add some filtering.

More here
This is where the cat is from and yes you should definitely watch that.

Here are a few songs in slightly different vein:

Not quite Simon and Garfunkel but an interesting take on The Sound of Silence.

I doubt that the full Gregorian chant in Catalan sounded much like this but Dead Can Dance's interpretation The Song of the Sybil is reasonably easy on the ears.

Listening to Josquin's mass performed by the Tallis Scholars makes me almost believe in the divine.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Katawa wrote: Victor Tombs wrote:As I said before rap and country & western are the only types of music that make me nauseous.

Surely some exceptions could be made? Sometimes just for fun.

FRESH BONUS SONG
I can listen to all of them if you edit out the rapping and just leave the music Katawa. :lol:

Tom wrote:Here are a few songs in slightly different vein:

I doubt that the full Gregorian chant in Catalan sounded much like this but Dead Can Dance's interpretation The Song of the Sybil is reasonably easy on the ears.

Listening to Josquin's mass performed by the Tallis Scholars makes me almost believe in the divine.
I love true Gregorian chant and have been a Gregorian fan for years Tom. Your selections are perfect for me. :D

Have you ever heard this from Hildegard Von Bingen- Vision , not lightweight but given a modern twist. I bought the album some years back.

My favourites for choral singing are Anuna they are just superb.

Rabcor wrote:Ah Sonata Arctica, i'm fairly certain i've tried listening to them once before, but i guess that in the end i've just never been a big fan of power metal. And thanks for addicting me to Symphony X.
Now available with a little less power metal!
Rabcor wrote:I just hopped back in here now to link you a song from the recent amnesia game. I have not played it, but my friend linked this to me and i have to admit this song is beautiful... tears me up even :cry: this right here, is definitely something i would consider a masterpiece.
Any song that tears me up requires too much back-story and interpersonal understanding on the part of someone else about why it does so, which means it won't have the same effect on someone else due to my lacking skill level of communication.
So instead have these.

RE: Your post: I am a sucker for grand piano though, and I really enjoyed the first Amnesia and both the Penumbras. Haven't tried A:AMFP.

P.S. Do you think love can bloom on a battlefield?
Last edited by Katawa on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Tom wrote:Here are a few songs in slightly different vein:

I love true Gregorian chant and have been a Gregorian fan for years Tom. Your selections are perfect for me. :D

Have you ever heard this from Hildegard Von Bingen- Vision , not lightweight but given a modern twist. I bought the album some years back.

My favourites for choral singing are Anuna they are just superb.
Thank you for the links, Victor. It is pleasing to find commonalities in tastes with fellow travellers whether in person or via the Internet. Anuna are indeed superb and I found the Wikipedia article about Hildegard von Bingen quite interesting.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Tom wrote:Thank you for the links, Victor. It is pleasing to find commonalities in tastes with fellow travellers whether in person or via the Internet. Anuna are indeed superb and I found the Wikipedia article about Hildegard von Bingen quite interesting.
Don't ever feel apprehensive about introducing music that is different from the norm Tom. My idea in resurrecting this thread was to enable ALL music to be shared and discussed. I want to see the whole range of the art on display here. :D

Online Now