Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 2: Fuhodo Station

The REKT inmates leave Computer Central behind them and continue on their path to the SCAMPS Core. Brom and Saoirse lead the group; Brom with his pistol drawn, and Saoirse spinning her battlestaff rapidly in her hands to provide a shield. Caleb follows close behind with his shotgun ready, while Buck and Sukava are somewhere near the center of the group.

Tracking their way carefully, silently through the corridors, they keep their eyes peeled for any sort of danger. The lights continue their occasional flickering; the engineers never fully repaired them from the crash landing... but they're so deep in the ship at this point that things look relatively unscarred by the tribulations of the past few week.

About 100 meters down the main upper hallway from the computer room, they come to a dim stairwell on the left with painted lettering on the metal walls next to it:

S C A M P S
C O R E

The group files down the stairs, which are painted with black-and-orange hazard stripes, and soon reach a dark hallway. As a group, they flip on their helmet lights, and soon notice the first signs of combat they've encountered on the ship. Muddy-green blood, still fresh, is spattered on the white-tiled floor, and a number of booted individuals have tracked it down the hallway. The ruined chassis of turrets hang dead from the walls, smoking and shattered. As the inmates continue, they find two Nemesis crewmen dead on the ground, shot in the back from what appears to be close-range; they have gauss pistols in their hands, but a quick inspection reveals that none of the rounds are spent. Their arms are beneath them, almost as if they were killed while they were trying to get up.

Continuing on, following the bright green lines painted on the floor, the REKT inmates find another corpse down the next corridor, this one lying on her back; the woman's face is contorted in an expression of rage and agony, and the body is still warm. This woman was carrying an assault rifle, and a few spent casings lie on the floor beside her. The squadmates leave her, and continue down the final stretch, towards the glass doors at the end. They soon pass more destroyed autoturrets and cameras - apparently obliterated by a combination of ballistic and plasma weaponry.

The inmates reach the glass doors, and they open jerkily with a wounded mechanized hiss.

SCAMPS lies just ahead.

Broken glass crunches under their feet as they enter the final chamber, dimly lit by red alert lights and blinking screens; the room buzzes faintly with the hum of machinery. A strange mist is in the air, just above the floor, with a sickly chemical shimmer. And there, at one side of the room, sit the four immense tubes that house SCAMPS's biocortex - towering to the ceiling far above, over ten feet wide - and shattered down the sides. SCAMPS's brain matter is pouring from the gaping holes in the glass, bleeding and oozing greenish, transparent chemical gunk. It shows signs of bullet and plasma scarring, and in some places someone has chopped at it with a sword. Much of the floor is covered in standing water - or not water, on closer inspection, but some sort of foul chemical that's poured from the now-empty tanks.

As the inmates circle around, looking at the destruction, they notice that one of the tanks is virtually untouched - the one at the back of the room. The tank is about 25% filled with brain matter, floating in the same liquid coming from the busted tanks. It has needles and wires stuffed into it at every point, though, and is basically dangling from the top of the tank. The wires in the other tanks seem to have been (for the most part) severed or pulled out from their respective tissues.

No one seems to be around... and SCAMPS certainly isn't talking.

"H-h-hello?" Saoirse calls. "Is anyone here?"

At this, a door at the back of the room slides open, and a small, portly woman peeks out. "The cryo inmates?" she whispers, looking over your faces. "Yes, it's you! You came." She steps out of the maintenance room and walks towards you, choking a little on the fumes; she's not wearing a mask or helmet. "Oh, gosh, just look at him," she moans. "It'll take me weeks to repair him." With a sad sigh, she sits down on a crate with a melancholy expression. "And everyone is gone."
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I keep quiet as we pass the corpses, my unease growing. Even with how wrecked the Nemesis is, it doesn't feel right to see it this empty. Even with the skeleton crew we had after the attack, there was always at least some sign of life- muffled conversation, the sound of crew members conducting repairs, far-off footsteps. Now...nothing but deathly silence. I heft my shotgun, its weight comforting in my hands.

When we enter, I reflect that SCAMPS' room is predictably disgusting, although even with my expectations of a whole lot of brain, I'm caught a bit off-guard by the sheer amount. The fact that it can only be described as oozing out of its holding containers doesn't help, nor does the liquid on the floor that a distant part of me almost crazed by the constant stress of this mission can't help but compare to pickle juice.

Thank all the gods out there for boots.
Talvieno wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:30 pm
At this, a door at the back of the room slides open, and a small, portly woman peeks out. "The cryo inmates?" she whispers, looking over your faces. "Yes, it's you! You came." She steps out of the maintenance room and walks towards you, choking a little on the fumes; she's not wearing a mask or helmet. "Oh, gosh, just look at him," she moans. "It'll take me weeks to repair him." With a sad sigh, she sits down on a crate with a melancholy expression. "And everyone is gone."
The appearance of the woman I can only assume is Janeway helps to snap me out of my rambling thoughts and, unfortunately, back to the present.

I listen in to her and my squadmates' conversation from my post at the door to the hallway, keeping an eye out for any enemies.
Last edited by cuisinart8 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I am Brom Keegan! Master assassin, skilled leader, acclaimed hero, and talented tactician!
By now you have most certainly heard of me!
Behind me you'll see my team!

We received your message as you can see, and we've come to assist you.
Please tell us who did this, so that I may rain down justice upon them!"
Breaker of fortune cookies

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:30 pm
Echoing Sukava's (and apparently Saoirse's) suspicions, hold one hand readily on my baton, and with some distrust shout:

"Don't come no closer! For all we know, you could just be a squid in a cheap costume! Why ain't you vanished like everyone else!?"

None of the inmates really seem to trust the woman... with Brom as the exception. "I am Brom Keegan! Master assassin, skilled leader, acclaimed hero, and talented tactician! By now you have most certainly heard of me!" For possibly the first time since he woke up, Brom has encountered someone who actually knows of him. The woman nods; she has heard of him (or at least, she claims to have). "We received your message as you can see, and we've come to assist you. Please tell us who did this, so that I may rain down justice upon them!"

"And, first things first: are 'they' watching here?" Vynkor adds.

The woman gets up from her seat on the crates and starts to walk closer, her soft footpads splashing in the chemicals on the floor. "I don't think they are, but -"

As she begins to approach, all the inmates take an apprehensive step backwards. Sukava raises her sword threateningly. "Stay back, bait," she warns. "Explain!"

"Yeah, don't come no closer!" Buck chimes in, his hands tightening around the haft of his plasma baton. "For all we know, you could just be a squid in a cheap costume! Why ain't you vanished like everyone else?"

Saoirse keeps her battlestaff at the ready; she isn't entirely certain she trusts this person.

At this point, the woman is starting to look increasingly paralyzed with fright. "Please, I don't know!" she wails. "I hid! I hid! I didn't know what was happening and I was scared! I hid in the equipment closet behind the spare biomatter tanks and locked the door. When I came out, everyone was gone!"

"G-gone where?" Saoirse emphasizes. "What t-the hell happened h-here?"

The woman glances rapidly back between the inmates and closes her eyes, whispering quietly to calm herself. After a moment, she takes a deep breath and says, in a rather shaky voice, "Everything got heavy. It was so heavy you could barely move, and I couldn't get off the floor. At first I thought it was just a malfunction - SCAMPS and I were figuring out what went wrong when the power went off. All the computers," she waves her arm behind her, "they were just shut off. That never happens. There are safeguards in place - they have their own power cells - oh gosh, goddamn fuck..." For a moment she looks like she's about to have a panic attack, but then her darting eyes fixate back on the inmates and she continues, "I heard gunfire. Annamarie, out in the hallway - she shouted that all REKT personnel should hide; I heard her firing her weapon. She meant me, so I hid. I dragged myself to the equipment closet, and..." she shakes her head hopelessly, looking at SCAMPS - "and now look! Just - just watch!"

The woman - presumably Janeway - walks over to some of the nearby computer consoles and flips a series of switches, quickly inputting data into the panels; the screens flash white for a moment before turning dark; countless lines of bright green rush across their screens.

SCAMPS's voice speaks up, echoing eerily in the chamber like the voice of God, seeming to come from everywhere and nowhere.

A fish and a ferret and a ferret for the king! I can't believe it's not... Fuck! I smell like pretzels. Maybe it'll wash out.

"He's useless," Janeway moans mournfully. "He doesn't even seem to realize that we're here. I've tried to ask him what happened but it's just... this." She throws up her hands. "Oh, gosh... I don't know who they were or where they took everyone, but they aren't dead. Annamarie is dead, and Tucker and Pierce, but... oh, gosh." She seems lightheaded; she almost sinks to the floor, but manages to struggle her way to the nearby crate to sit down on it.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Laugh out loud at the woman passing out cold, and slap Sukava over the shoulder

"Tha-" uncontrollable laughing "Tha- oh man, that was a goddamn good one! She-" more laughing "-anyone filmed this shit!?"
Triggerhappy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:23 pm
"No struggling? Convenient. Someone find me rope, a chair, and a few high-diameter flashbangs if you can."
After laughing some more, start to deflate a bit after hearing this
Say, more seriously now (while wiping away tears from the laughter):

"Wait- wait, you aint' actually serious?"

Triggerhappy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:23 pm
"No struggling? Convenient. Someone find me rope, a chair, and a few high-diameter flashbangs if you can."
At this, I turn around, appalled. "We're not fucking torturing what could be our last remaining shipmate! And now that she's unconscious, we can't even figure out any more from her anyway. Great job!"

I shake my head. "This situation stinks of the traitor, though. Whoever sabotaged us during the initial attack above Nanyej probably did the same here. If we can find out what exactly happened, we might be able to out them. Maybe we might find something in Engineering, it sounds like they messed with the gravity first."

I sigh and put my battlestaff away. If she's the mole, she's a really good actor.
"D-does anyone have anti-sh-shock meds? We c-can't just leave her here l-like that and she m-may have access to t-the security cameras. Probably also wiped, b-but you never know.
After that, m-maybe we've right t-to go to the armoury f-first. We kn-know there were actual enemies n-now and Vynkor and miss clever here aren't ex-xactly dressed for a f-fight."
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now