Return to “General”

Re: Building LT - Generating a universe

zircher wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am
Now, there will be persistent resources like basic parts, some textures, maybe NPC portraits*, and the like. But, those will be tweaked on the fly and cached locally when they are in possible close contact range of the PC.

Thoughts?
--
TAZ

* Didn't think about that until now, but you can even build NPC pics with a random seed from list of images and then tweak those images for item, skin, and hair color. Throw a 'sloppy video feed' filter over the top of that when communicating with them. Of course, I have nearly zero artistic capability myself. If tasked, I would pick up something like DAZ and make a bunch of renders. Your typical programmer art solution. :-)

[edit]
Hyperion actually had a quite good idea for that looooooong ago :D
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2986

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:46 am
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2986
Pareidolic icons would certainly lend a certain style to the game if used. The bit about animating them got me thinking. Since the icons are just expressions (heh) of a random seed creating curves, it would be easy to take the eye curves and narrow them vertically to get them to blink or squint (or even wink) or enlarge one or both for interest/surprise. Similarly, widening the mouth curves or warping them up and down can create implied context. I would suggest coloration for additional emotional context, but that puts color blind games at a disadvantage. Maybe if we were to include an access option to add emotional sub-titles to an icon; [Angry] ,[Annoyed], [Fearful], [Pleased], etc.
Attachments
hostile_icon.png
hostile_icon.png (16.4 KiB) Viewed 17369 times

zircher wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:00 am
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:46 am
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2986
Pareidolic icons would certainly lend a certain style to the game if used. The bit about animating them got me thinking. Since the icons are just expressions (heh) of a random seed creating curves, it would be easy to take the eye curves and narrow them vertically to get them to blink or squint (or even wink) or enlarge one or both for interest/surprise. Similarly, widening the mouth curves or warping them up and down can create implied context. I would suggest coloration for additional emotional context, but that puts color blind games at a disadvantage. Maybe if we were to include an access option to add emotional sub-titles to an icon; [Angry] ,[Annoyed], [Fearful], [Pleased], etc.
or we keep that stuff purely in the deformation regime and have to worry less about color blindness :shrug:

The point is that Factions have a core set of stats, that define the shape.
And individual stats are smaller and added upon.

A faction of 88% aggression, with an individual at 100% aggression might be 98% aggression when actually generating the image.

This way individuals impact, but factions control, the concepts that form the shapes.
Making factions impact color the most too, will help keep themes among the factions.
Making it easy to identify people in one group.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

A couple of points:

1. XML: of course, this was just to show a structured way. I guess any textual format to input structured data will work (internally, perhaps it could be a SQL database?).

2. My vision, as linked in my first post is to have "some" planets in a limited sector and infinite amount of sectors. "some" can be 200 systems with 100 inhabited words, for example.
Only the "some planets" in a sector interact fully during the historical generation and are actively simulated when the player is there. Here the post with more explanations.

3. Because of (1) and (2) - the performance is minimal: all "description" information can be regenerated for the player when jumping in the system (microseconds :-)), while of course the system being simulated, up-to-date economical, military data and so on is already in memory. There is probably instantiations of low LOD summary groups (see here). It will remain in the milliseconds range....

4. The pareidolic icons are sooo cool - yes, it would add a lot to the "dry" description of words (or more precisely, NPCs), even it the description is well done with some historical details and so on.

Online Now