Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Mind F*

F4wk35 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:52 am
Welcome to the new sub-type of dungeon crawlers!
DragonCrawlers!
"You've been eaten by a dragon!"
Crap, I could literally have you crawl through the digestive system of a dragon couldn't I?
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

OH! You could have periodic acidic sludge waves that you have to out-run or dodge as 'things' pass through the digestive system. Sometimes they'll drop stuff that is indigestible like glass bottles, a glass eye, magic trinkets, or a bard. :-)

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:15 am
MarinoG wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:35 am
Just looking at these maps makes me anxious. Did you beat this game? haha
Depends on how you define "beat", silver has to beat his laziness to actually make something worth being called a game there :V
This is the case, I've kinda gotten stuck on what I want to do with it, and started playing with Goatbot again.
I'll eventually return to this idea, it's too cool to not use. But by DOG is it hard to think around how map generators would have to work.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Silverware wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:55 pm
But by DOG is it hard to think around how map generators would have to work.
Mixed Euclidean and graphs, with the proportion describing something about the area. For instance, if you wanted the world to mostly be chaotic and shattered with islands of sanity, the "natural" sections would be heavily graphwise and decidedly non-Euclidean, while the "artificial" sections would be Euclidean rooms connected by corridors of varying degrees of topological coherence. Or if you wanted the world to mostly be flat but with pockets of corruption, the wider world would be Euclidean but devolve into graph space garbage near the epicenter of some kind of Event, with isolated blips scattered about like spatial shrapnel wounds.
You could achieve this by using conventional terrain generation for the most part, or "tile-like" generation for rooms, and then inserting too much of it or excising some. Or you could do it by working on a non-Euclidean surface: generate the world on a sphere or in hyperbolic space, where the angles are too much or too little, and then cover it in an evenly-spaced mesh (possibly using circle packing or Voronoi or something?) to convert it into renderable graph space. Another option is to mostly work on an Euclidean surface, but then place anomalies onto it.
I suspect taking full advantage of graph space may be exclusive with an infinite stateless procedural map generator, though.

I was thinking that I'd stick to something like a Node based "overworld"
The pathways between nodes would become fixed by their existence, and this is where I'd put my primary infinity generator.

Each node then is a "room" or a "level" and could pull from any number of generators, this'd allow for things like Locked Doors leading to further areas, while keeping the key for that door on the correct side of them.

It would also let me play up a bunch of aspects.
A central staircase as a node, where you go around and around a single 5x5 box edge, and it has dozens or hundreds of exists to other areas.
A hall of insanity node, where every cell of a long corridor connects to it's neighbors entirely randomly, sometimes rotating the player around too.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

http://silver.goat.army/prototypes/qrogue/0.0.13.htm

We now have a working Prototype for basic map generation.
1000 rooms, numbered 0 through 999;
The north wall of each room is colored red.

Go explore.

Numpad or arrows to move. Click on a tile you can see to auto-path to it.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now