Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

I hate triple-posting, but it's important that I put this in a new post. This is something I should've done ages ago, but I didn't understand the importance of it until the past few months.

As an experienced storyteller, I love to explore dark places - uncomfortable topics that can have profound effects on both characters and the story alike. These are things like murder, torture, body horror, creepiness, spiders, rape, starvation, spousal violence, etc. However, I also realize that this may not be the case for everyone "at the table", and as I'm trying to make the game fun for everyone, it's important that it actually is fun for everyone. To that end, I'm going to use a common, tried-and-true system called "Lines and Veils". Likely, some of you have already heard of it. The basic idea is that you designate certain topics as being off-limits, and the story will never go there.

- LINES are topics that make players uncomfortable enough that they would not want to keep playing if they ever came up. As a result, these topics would never come up; they are LINES that will never be crossed. As an example, if we decided "spiders" was a Line, that would mean there would never be ANY spiders in the story. Nobody would be allowed to talk about them. It would be as if they didn't exist.
- VEILS are topics that can be touched on, but everything will "fade to black" and nobody will have to read or roleplay the scene. We hide these things behind a VEIL. As an example, if things are getting hot and steamy between a player character and an NPC, and we have a veil defined as "descriptive sexual encounters", then the scene will "fade to black" and we wouldn't describe it. It still happens, but it happens "offscreen". If mentioned at all, it is mentioned off-handedly and we don't really go into much detail. For instance, "the people that captured her used her for gratification, but she eventually managed to escape".

What I need you guys to do is come up with your own lists of Lines and Veils. I don't think there should be that many, overall - we've meandered around a lot of touchy subjects so far in REKT without any real objections - but it's worth asking anyway. Here's a step-by-step of what's going to happen:

1. Players will PM me their list of their own personal Lines and Veils - specifically PM because nobody else needs to know what anybody else's are. You shouldn't have to worry about people judging you for, for instance, not wanting spider-monsters in the campaign.
(Be very highly specific! For instance: If you're okay with discussion of sexual violence, or sexual violence being part of a character's backstory, but would feel very uncomfortable with any graphical depictions of it, you should specifically say "graphical depictions of sexual violence". If you say "I don't want descriptions of gore", tell me exactly how far.)
2. After a week or so, I will take these Lines and Veils, condense them, and present them here without mentioning names.
3. We will respect these topics in the future. People can change their minds at any time.

If you don't have any lines or veils to suggest, that's okay too. You don't have to PM me at all in that case. This is just in case anyone has any objections.

Finally, and this is important: don't feel ashamed of having to mention something. REKT is supposed to be fun. If a topic exists that would make you want to stop playing, it's important you mention it. Keep in mind that by now you know my style of storytelling quite well, and how far I go into descriptions of things. I'm not likely to add more detail in those areas anyway.

Also, to be perfectly clear: I do not have any topics planned that require us to do this. :P This is more of a "just in case" thing that I really should've done prior to the campaign even beginning - and would have, had I known how important it was.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Bit late on this. I've been having some eye problems lately and recently visited an optometrist for them. I'll be okay, but I'll be sticking a bunch of stuff in my eye five times a day for a while. :D

About the lines and veils - I got some feedback. There was a lot of overlap, but here are the results:
LINE: Sexual violence towards player characters

VEIL: Scenes of catastrophic mass destruction in civilian areas where the survivors are hopeless/despairing

VEIL: Anything sexual, consentual or no

Not as much as I would've expected, honestly. We've never encountered any of that stuff previously, but it'll be off-limits in the future.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Fun for you doesn't necessarily mean fun for everyone. :) People shouldn't have to justify the fact that they don't enjoy something, either.

In other news, I've just about finished up a particularly neat map that may or may not get used. This one is actually going to be pretty (unlike Men'ko's Mimosas).

From a conversation with Cuisinart while I was working on the shinies in the post:

<Talvieno>: Image
<Talvieno>: the speckly won't disappear. and I haven't even gotten to adding grime and mess yet
<Talvieno>: lighting is not final either
<Talvieno>: I may have gone slightly overboard with everything
<Cuisinart8>: Just say the speckly stuff IS dirt
<Cuisinart8>: or like
<Cuisinart8>: the fysar equivalent of packing peanuts lol
<Talvieno>: lol xD'
<Cuisinart8>: i mean there's a large concentration of it around the boxes to the far right
<Cuisinart8>: or it could just be light rubble or something because the place hasn't seen a maintenance guy who knew what he was doing in decades
<Talvieno>: here's the fun thing - I know how to make it disappear. but that turns off the pretty rail lighting
<Talvieno>: which I'm kind of abusing as those are self-illuminated textures and not really supposed to be used large-scale
<Cuisinart8>: XD
<Cuisinart8>: even so, they look good :D
<Talvieno>: I haven't even done any post-processing yet
<Cuisinart8>: XD
<Cuisinart8>: i'd say just leave the speckle, it fits in with the dilapidated theme :3
<Talvieno>: oh I know
<Talvieno>: I'll do like mass effect
<Talvieno>: and turn up the film grain SO GODDAMN HIGH that you can't tell that everything sucks
<Cuisinart8>: there we go
<Cuisinart8>: just add in some blue alien space babes while you're at it
<Talvieno>: oooo I like that idea

((ten minutes later))

<Talvieno>: you did this
<Talvieno>: Image

Soo...I talked it through at the start of the week on the IRC...but it kinda drowned and I was busy doing stuff lately...so I forgot to mention it again...

I //perhaps// won't be available over this weekend...so in case the turn comes out and things get dicey, could either Cuisinart8 or Dinosawer take over for me at that time?

That's only if things absolutely need to be handled manually, mind you...For normal situations it's sufficient if Frank keeps around Caleb and defers to him in terms of actions to be taken...

Basically support Caleb, try not to upset Saoirse and perhaps keep slightly wary of Nilo...Also panic when appropriate...
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 pm
Just to let everyone know that doesn't already - things have been temporarily delayed with REKT because ... I'm finally moving! :D So, basically, IRL is getting in the way. I'll be able to pick REKT back up soon, it's just that IRL is taking priority right this moment.
I am outraged that you're not going to create a gigantic rekt post while driving for hours on end in a car and moving to an entirely new state!

*grabs torch and pitchfork*

I'm back! :D The move went well - "well" here being a relative term that means "it worked!" Finances were tight and we almost got stranded partway, but everything worked out in the end. I'll be making REKT posts again very soon, and thanks for all your support, guys! Without my Patreon supporters in particular, there is no way that I could've managed to move out, and I owe you guys (Cuisinart and Dinosawer especially!) a lot. To that end, I'm working on pumping out a bunch of posts on Patreon, and after that, I'll get started back on REKT proper. I understand you guys are eagerly anticipating the next turn! Let's not delay that any longer than necessary. :D

Online Now