Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Alex looks like an interesting character :)
I assume you'll put him on the wiki yourself when you're done fleshing him out?
Talvieno wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:11 am
giant post of doom
Some thoughts - as a player, obvious bias present so have some grains of salt to take this with
Spoiler:      SHOW
-Don't worry too much about the wiki work - the majority will be checking and changing stat A for stat B on equipment pages, which I can do just fine. It's just the stat/skills pages and the levelling rules you'll have to redo but you have to write that out for us anyway
-On the ship stats, PSI and computer are weapon stats and so will probably have to be stats as well (in universe, you could argue that ship amps work off willpower just like the infantry ones, but balance wise it's not really fair if exotic users don't have to level a weapon stat for their ship)
-PDA: well, PDA basically are used for scans, hacking and RP stuff. Hacking is obviously the security skill and RP stuff generally doesn't need rolls. (and when it does, you can use whatever is appropriate for the specific usecase)
-Random (and probably biased because I use these things) idea: robotics is not used super often. Neither is aux. In universe, you could argue they're actually the same skill - using equipment that falls outside of weaponry. How about sticking robotics, auxiliary and PDA scans into one skill, calling it 'Ingenuity' or something and calling it a day?
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

So I made a few alterations, mainly focused on personality feel free to tell me if you'd still like more to work with.

Name: Alexander (Alex)
Personal Information: Alex is a 106 year old senior. He has gray hair and a wrinkled, friendly looking face.
At 16 he joined the interstellar navy.
while most of his military career was not noteworthy, at this time drugs and addiction were common in the navy. Like everyone else Alex got hooked.
His military career ended when he tried to smuggle a large amount of drugs into the base, he got caught and got a dishonorable discharge at the age of 23.
That's when the street life started for Alex, he lived in the streets of his dirty home planet, begging money together to get from fix to fix.
At 27, after living on the streets for 4 years, he almost died on an overdose. That's when he decided to fix his life and to go into rehab.
In total Alex was 10 years in rehab, relapsing several times.
At 37 he officially considered himself clean and managed to get himself a simple office job as a clerk in a bank.
He worked for 23 years in the bank until a planet-wide economical crisis forced the bank to lay of some personnel, including Alex.
At 60 years old, Alex was back on the streets, with no job and little money.
He lived from his savings for 2 years, finally finding a job off-planet.
He moved to a nearby asteroid mining station to work as a bookkeeper.
Over the years, Alex got promoted a couple of times, allowing him more access to the companies books.
This allowed him to embezzle money from the company.
At 90, Alex was allowed to retire.
He manged to live a good live for 16 years, making good use from the money he embezzled.
However, this is when his world collapsed underneath him, an inspection of the companies books brought the embezzlement to light and Alex was send of to REKT as a punishment.
Personality: Alex is an easygoing, kind person. He usually wouldn't hurt a fly and is always prepared to offer advice or a hand of help. He has an average intelligence but unfortunately has started suffering from early dementia so he might forget some things now and then.
Alex has no sense of humor, if you try to tell him a joke he most likely won't get it or don't think it's funny. With regard to computers, Alex is a technophobe, he prefers doing things "the good old way" and refuses to work with "any of this new-fangled stuff".
Alex has an addictive personality, while he was able to recover from his addiction in his early life and is mostly able to resist the call of drugs. He would be easily tempted to fall back into addiction if he would meet the wrong persons.
Connected to this, Alex is easily influenced by group pressure.
For hobbies, Alex likes to read a book, actually, he also likes to talk about them. In his later years he started showing an interest about histories of obscure, non-interesting places and likes to drone on and on about it to whomever is near.
Reason your character got REKT: Got caught for embezzlement 16 years after the fact. Old age does not appear to be a good excuse to not be REKT.
Stats:
  Energy: 0
  Durability: -1
  Maneuverability: 0
  Hacking: -2
  Computer: 0
  PSI Unit: 2
  Robotics: 0
  Engines: 0
Skills:
  Charisma: 0
  Intuition: 0
  Handiwork: -1
  Conventional: 0
  Unconventional: -2
  Exotics: 1
  General Knowledge: 1
  Auxiliary: 0

Purchases:
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Accepted! :thumbup:

I'm gonna give you the same 2500 creds to spend and 750 stat/skill points, same as I gave the other people. You can put that where you wish or save it; saved points will still transfer over to the new system for next mission.
Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:59 am
Talvieno wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:11 am
giant post of doom
Some thoughts - as a player, obvious bias present so have some grains of salt to take this with
-Don't worry too much about the wiki work - the majority will be checking and changing stat A for stat B on equipment pages, which I can do just fine. It's just the stat/skills pages and the levelling rules you'll have to redo but you have to write that out for us anyway
-On the ship stats, PSI and computer are weapon stats and so will probably have to be stats as well (in universe, you could argue that ship amps work off willpower just like the infantry ones, but balance wise it's not really fair if exotic users don't have to level a weapon stat for their ship)
-PDA: well, PDA basically are used for scans, hacking and RP stuff. Hacking is obviously the security skill and RP stuff generally doesn't need rolls. (and when it does, you can use whatever is appropriate for the specific usecase)
-Random (and probably biased because I use these things) idea: robotics is not used super often. Neither is aux. In universe, you could argue they're actually the same skill - using equipment that falls outside of weaponry. How about sticking robotics, auxiliary and PDA scans into one skill, calling it 'Ingenuity' or something and calling it a day?
Wiki work: Fair enough. I'll need to re-design anything aux related, most likely, but it does save me a lot of effort. I seriously appreciate it. :D
Ship stats: I'm considering doing something else entirely. A dedicated piloting skill wouldn't go amiss, I think. Also, the idea that "if you're good with guns on foot, you must also be good with them when they're attached to a spaceship" is pretty silly too. Probably going to alter that somehow. May end up altering how PSI works with ships altogether. Ships themselves could probably use a rework, as long as we're doing everything else. That's a lot of work though. :?
PDA: Perhaps. Hacking and PDA kind of go hand in hand, but at the same time, I don't think it makes sense that you "must" be good at hacking in order to use default functions built into your PDA. It needs some thought. I'm leaning towards Hacking, though, yes.
Robotics and Aux are probably the same skill, yeah, ultimately. They do mostly the same thing. I will probably not be sticking robotics/aux/PDA into the same stat though. Something about that gives me a weird feeling in my chest that I've learned to listen to, even if I can't consciously identify why it's trying to warn me. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:52 am
PDA: Perhaps. Hacking and PDA kind of go hand in hand, but at the same time, I don't think it makes sense that you "must" be good at hacking in order to use default functions built into your PDA. It needs some thought. I'm leaning towards Hacking, though, yes.
I may not have been entirely clear - I was suggesting splitting up PDA into the hacking part and the scanning part (and the other part, which doesn't really need rolls imo), and using hacking for the hacking part, whatever robotics may end up as for scanning.
Anyway, suggestions and all that, you know better than I do :)

Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:18 am
Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:52 am
I may not have been entirely clear - I was suggesting splitting up PDA into the hacking part and the scanning part (and the other part, which doesn't really need rolls imo), and using hacking for the hacking part, whatever robotics may end up as for scanning.
Anyway, suggestions and all that, you know better than I do :)
Ah, yes, that makes more sense. PDA Hacking already classifies as hacking, though. It's just the scanning that classifies as PDA. Interestingly, the computer part has always qualified as computers - but rolling for that feels a bit silly most of the time. "I turn my PDA off." "Roll 1d6-1 to see if you press the power button properly." "Wat"
Dinosawer wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 am
Empty and short a player
Indeed. Cha0zz, there's no waiting list at all, and I'll try to find a place to fit Alex in. That may be a bit... interesting, though. Beta has four players at the moment, and I'm loath to bump their numbers up to 5. I'm not sure lumping him in with Gamma is the wisest decision, given their current predicament, so we could wait and see if they actually manage to escape. Joining Alpha seems a bit more likely right now, if you're going to jump right into it.

Really though, there's no rush. :P Take your time, all that. I can't fit your character anywhere right this instant anyway.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:58 am
Ah, yes, that makes more sense. PDA Hacking already classifies as hacking, though. It's just the scanning that classifies as PDA. Interestingly, the computer part has always qualified as computers - but rolling for that feels a bit silly most of the time. "I turn my PDA off." "Roll 1d6-1 to see if you press the power button properly." "Wat"
Yeah that's what I meant with other PDA stuff not needing rolls :)
Personally I'd prefer the scanning part not to end up in hacking, but that's for entirely selfish character continuity reasons

Weeeeell...seeing how the current mission goes, it's time for spare-character creation!

Hopefully better than my last try for this one...

----------------------------------------------------------

Name: Elena White
Personal Information: [[Elena White was born, originally as Christine Carter, to a happy, upper-middle class family of businesspeople on the modern, well-populated world of Tuon IV, city of Charbes, with the addition of a little brother, Marcus, when she was 2 years old.
She was a smart kid, polite and happy. People said she'd have a great future ahead.

Not long after her 6. birthday Christine and her parents visited a less busy subsidiary of the local bank chain when their lives took a sharp turn.
Two low-key criminals entered the bank, demanding credits and accessories. To aid in their escape, they also took the girl, too young to really comprehend what happened and why, hostage.
Because of a big, coordinated heist in the center that bound most of the local authorities and created chaos on the streets, help couldn't arrive in time. Still, Christine was dragged along to their ship and brought a few low-warp jumps away to Daseb X, a backwater planet with slightly higher-than-normal gravity where they had a rundown shack.

The kidnappers didn’t actually plan that far ahead and couldn’t decide what to do with their hostage at this point. After a drunken argument, they kicked her into an unused room and locked it up. Then they abandoned her and left to get further away to safety.
In the dark, with very little food and water, Christine slowly snapped.

After nearly three days she was freed by a band of street rats roaming the area, looking for useful things. She then fled into the streets.

Over the next two years Christine repeatedly spiraled down into a despairing mindset followed by short lived times of panicked confusion. Between these two states, she slowly developed a personality split off of her, a mask that didn’t have the painful memories and emotions that still drove her to the brink. Over the time, this mask developed further until it didn’t have conscious access to the memories of home, family and other things anymore as well as a sharply stunted emotional range. The mask then took on the name of Elena White.]]

After 14 months of investigative action, Christine Carter was officially declared dead.

Caught at the age of 17, Elena was committed to a mental correctional facility after she was caught on the streets as part of an effort to re-socialize and rehabilitate her for integration into society. After numerous escape attempts by Elena, she was put into an isolation cell to cool down where she suffered a psychotic break, leading to deaths and injuries amongst staff and civilians. Her caretakers came to the conclusion that their efforts hadn’t gotten them any progress and coupled with her violent outburst she was stamped off as a hopeless case and handed off to Tartarus.

DISCLAIMER: The things in [[brackets]] are information that is not known to Tartarus, the characters or...pretty much most people, simply because Elena can't actually give that information. It is there for completeness and can be seen as metagaming if used without getting that information in-game beforehand.

Elena has a body height of about 4’5” (~135cm) and looks notably malnourished. The long, brown hair shows a clear lack of care and the green eyes lack luster. Her upper arms are notably scarred and she wears a permanent smile that is usually described as creepy.

Personality: Elena is easily distracted, usually unfocused and seemingly confused at times because she’ll try hard to find happy interpretations of situations. Elena is constantly happy but unable to work out relationships and lacking a moral compass.

[[Elena is a personality specifically to be happy and to keep away from certain memories. While Elena is present most of the time, Christine still 'listens in'. If confronted with certain triggers, Elena will (more or less, depending on emotional severity) slowly recede until Christine emerges in a state of panic, trying to get away from where she is and getting home. She is extremely umtrusting and will see people in the way as trying to obstruct her path. She will try to evade people, yes. But she will see them as obstructions very fast.
Elena's job, and subconscious goal, is to keep that from happening. If confronted with a trigger, she will try to get away from it. Either by running, distraction or what amounts to mental censoring. Being cornered, she'll slowly changes away from happy to a state of growing nervousness and distress, violent behaviour can also appear. Depending on severity and subtlety of the trigger, Elena will go dormant completely for a time.]]

Reason your character got REKT: Found to be a hopeless case for rehabilitation after numerous years of psychological treatment coupled with a rampage that claimed lives and injured a number of people, Elena was handed off to Tartarus.
Stats:
  Energy: 0
  Durability: -2
  Maneuverability: 2
  Hacking: -2
  Computer: 0
  PSI Unit: 1
  Robotics: -2
  Engines: 0
Skills:
  Charisma: -1
  Intuition: 2
  Handiwork: -2
  Conventional: -2
  Unconventional: 0
  Exotics: 1
  General Knowledge: -1
  Auxiliary: 0

Purchases:
--------------------------------

Edit: nargh! I feel really silly for the disclaimer now....and i just found that i actually forgot to put it in in the first place! ...progress?

2. Edit: Ironing out a big blunder and hopefully getting something that's more to the expectations...
Last edited by F4wk35 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

I was going to message you on IRC after I got a chance to read it, but you logged off. :D I only took 13 minutes to get back, so I was still within the 10-15 I predicted.

As always, usual disclaimer: The following is not meant to criticize or discourage, and if I had an actual problem with the character/sheet I would say so, etc etc and so on and so forth. In no particular order:
  • The sheet doesn't at all convey that the [[bracketed text]] is supposed to be "information not in Tartarus records".
  • You neglected to convey many of the things that make Elena such an interesting, complicated character. :P They aren't in the sheet. I'm curious - is there a reason you did it this way?
  • A few stylistic/grammatical errors/suggestions are all I really have left to complain about, which I suppose you ought to take as a compliment? :)

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:35 am
The sheet doesn't at all convey that the [[bracketed text]] is supposed to be "information not in Tartarus records".
Nargh ._. Will clarify. *
Talvieno wrote:
You neglected to convey many of the things that make Elena such an interesting, complicated character. :P They aren't in the sheet. I'm curious - is there a reason you did it this way?
1) So much shiny! *distracted squee*
2) counter question...how does one compress 2 hours of Q&A far enough to not blow the text up into collosal proportions while still keeping it informative
Talvieno wrote:
A few stylistic/grammatical errors/suggestions are all I really have left to complain about, which I suppose you ought to take as a compliment? :)
I can has english? *catface*
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Sorry for the horribly lengthy delay - some things came up that I needed to deal with. You guys know all about how that goes by now. :) Working on the post today, and I should have it finished by European midnight as a sure thing (unless something else comes up).

edit: Nope, stuff came up. Ended up needing to spend a lot of time doing some things quite unrelated to REKT, again. But it'll be ready soon(ish).

Brief update before I go to bed - more at-home issues delaying things. The post is 95% complete; I just need to finish a wee bit of Alpha's portion and then proofread. It's not that big of a post, and little of it is new. I've just been kept busy lately. (In addition to working on a couple surprises that I'm not going to spoil just yet.) I'm going to get some sleep and then finish the post tomorrow, when I'm not dozing off. Should have fewer spelling errors that way. :D

edit: Cuisinart made this, and I don't want to lose it:

Online Now