Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory Fan Contest - Discussion

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:03 pm
Hehehe, nothing more sinister than 3 different lights either side of each engine 'fin'.... So 18 all together.

6 of them are volumetric point lights, that gives the spherical element of the light.
6 of them are quadratic spot lights with a spread of 87.5 degrees, so it'll spread out to the sides.
6 of them are also quadratic spot lights, pretty much the same as the previous ones but with a 45 degree angle.

Here's a view of the bottom so you can see it better (and those nice hefty railguns) :squirrel: I've not lit up the smaller ones yet, but I'll get to that....
So, I tried something similar. Not as good as yours, though. Probably I should increase the power of the local light and reduce the directional ones?
Just for information: which model of lighting/atmosphere are you using?

A propos, I have always an issue because I would like "glowing things" but without "ambiant light" (outer space). And glow is ambiant. You would not have a solution for this, by chance? That would allow really long luminous trails, would be cool.

And by chance, I got a nice effect on the wings, however :)

That ship looks pretty damn awesome. I've pasted some details on the lights below..... Powers and the length of the ship I was using them on(within Vue) so you can fiddle with them by knowing the relative sizes:

Ship length 2.563 Km

Point lights - power of 1400
Volumetric lighting enabled, intensity of 0.1, maximum flare intensity and lots of random streaks.

45 degree spotlights - power of 400, spread of 45 degrees.
Volumetric lighting enabled, intesity of 1, 50% flare intensity, no streaks.

87.5 degree spotlights - same as above but with an 87.5 degree spread.

Atmosphere model standard, lighting model standard.

-----

I did some twiddling with spotlights using a 2.5 degree spread that might be good for exhaust trails.... The only grip being they spread out, but if you added a decent amount of falloff, that could work. Annoyingly, directional lights can't be quadratic, otherwise they'd be perfect!

I've also considered doing a similar thing, but having lots of different lower intensity lights with different spreads, that might work well... Hopefully I can experiment over the weekend :twisted:

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:30 pm
I was partway though a story but it was a bit boring, so I've gone a different route. Just doing a decent quality render now then I'll get my stuff posted :twisted:
Looking forward...

I am a bit silent lately as I had to spent 2 weeks at my father’s place in emergency (he is doing well again but it was touchy for several days....) and I am now traveling on holidays. I will try your tricks for engine glows when I am back where my computer is and report back!

CSE wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:36 pm
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:30 pm
I was partway though a story but it was a bit boring, so I've gone a different route. Just doing a decent quality render now then I'll get my stuff posted :twisted:
Looking forward...

I am a bit silent lately as I had to spent 2 weeks at my father’s place in emergency (he is doing well again but it was touchy for several days....) and I am now traveling on holidays. I will try your tricks for engine glows when I am back where my computer is and report back!
I'm glad to hear your father's doing well.... Looking forward to see what you can come up with on the engine glows :squirrel:

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:19 am
Ah yeah, that idea worked pretty well. There's a point light in there and a spotlight with a 2.5 degree angle buried inside a torus. That'd work for exhausts :twisted:
So, back home I got a shot at your idea.
I wanted to have something that is brighter at a certain distance of the exhaust, and then disappear.

The result (using 36 spotlights and 4 point lights per exhaust) is given below. The point lights allow the exhaust to actually lighten the other objects, In this scene, there is no sunlight nor any normal lighting via ambiant, it is only lightened by the exhausts themselves.
Each spotlight (spread 7°, softness 10°) has a volumetric element with quadratic decay, a variable colour with cutoff at 20m with the last part of the colors palette being black (so blue-white-yellow-orange-black), and "smoke/dust" in the beam using a pre-set function.

Btw: I found a way to cancel ambiant lighting but still use it for luminous objects - you may know it, but for me, this is a major discovery as it finally allow deep-space scenes with luminous objects: In the atmosphere editor, just put under "light" the bar at 100% sunlight. You can then still increase the ambiant light in the post-processing, but it impacts then only luminous objects, not the whole scene!
In the scene above, there is no ambiant lighting, BUT the cockpits and greyish shapes on the ship both have luminous elements (and obviously there are some stars...).

Online Now