Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT ARMORY (for purchases + statting)

Name: Boris Avdeyev
Personal Information: Boris is a former Special agent for the Zorp government. He has grey hair and a small scar just above his eye. During one of his assignments Boris was back stabbed by his partner and left for death. His former partner gave him a what he thought was a lethal dose of a sedative. Boris, however does not want to die and managed to drag himself to a nearby hospital. Antidote was administered just within time and Boris survived, the sedative has however let to severe long-term amnesia and Boris has trouble with remembering stuff that used to be obvious for him.
His memory is however slowly recovering.
Since the incident Boris only has one goal left in his life and that is destroying everything his partner loves, while making him watch helplessly.
Personality: Since his incident Boris suffers from severe paranoia and can't make himself trust anyone. On top of this he is also a ruthless bastard that prefers to attack enemies unnoticed from the shadows. He is rather unafraid and compulsively driven by his one goal to make the life of his former partner a living hell.
Reason your character got REKT: Boris found out his former partner got caught as a double agent. Instead of being executed, however, he was sold to Tartarus inc. Upon discovering this, Boris voluntarily got himself incarcerated to complete his revenge.
Stats:
  Energy: 0
  Durability: 0
  Maneuverability: 1
  Hacking: -1
  Computer: 0
  PSI Unit: 1
  Robotics: -2
  Engines: 0
Skills:
  Charisma: -1
  Intuition: 1
  Handiwork: 0
  Conventional: 0
  Unconventional: -2
  Exotics: 1
  General Knowledge: 0
  Auxiliary: 0

Purchases:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Last edited by Cha0zz on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz
Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

Cha0zz wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:02 am
Personal Information: Boris is a former Special agent for the Zorp government. He has grey hair and a small scar just above his eye. During one of his assignments Boris was back stabbed by his partner and left for death. His former partner gave him a what he thought was a lethal dose of a sedative. Boris, however does not want to die and managed to drag himself to a nearby hospital. Antidote was administered just within time and Boris survived, the sedative has however let to severe long-term amnesia and Boris has trouble with remembering stuff that used to be obvious for him.
Since the incident Boris only has one goal left in his life and that is destroying everything his partner loves, while making him watch helplessly.
Personality: Since his incident Boris suffers from severe paranoia and can't make himself trust anyone. On top of this he is also a ruthless bastard that prefers to attack enemies unnoticed from the shadows. He is rather unafraid and compulsively driven by his one goal to make the life of his former partner a living hell.
Reason your character got REKT: Boris found out his former partner got caught as a double agent. Instead of being executed, however, he was sold to Tartarus inc. Upon discovering this, Boris voluntarily got himself incarcerated to complete his revenge.
Stats:
Skills:

Purchases:
Solid except for a couple key points.
  • It doesn't make sense for Boris to want to voluntarily give himself up to Tartarus Inc. Only a very tiny percentage of Tartarus Inc. prison inmates actually join the REKT troops - the rest are gassed and disposed of (I hear they make great fertilizer!). Even if he made it into REKT, and then survived REKT "rehabilitation" as they like to call it in their propaganda, Boris could simply wait it out and kill him afterwards at much less risk to himself.
  • Not necessarily a flaw, but could use some expansion: If a person tried to kill someone else in real life, I imagine the victim probably wouldn't suddenly become obsessed with killing the attempted murderer. Of all the cases I can think of, the chances of that happening are rather low. If Boris is so obsessed, that could use a bit of explanation. Perhaps something worse happened than just the sedative? Perhaps Boris is a bit broken already (and if so, why)?
  • Boris's goal of making his former partner's life a living hell is going to be rather difficult to pull off, especially seeing as he's been in cryo for X number of years. That is of course feasible and could make for an interesting story and a fun character to write, but I very much doubt it would stay the core focus of who he is - not to mention the chances of him actually meeting his former ally during this particular campaign are zero: there is no way to suspend disbelief in such an arrangement. The odds are simply too low.
  • Boris's former partner could probably use a name. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:05 pm
Cha0zz wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:02 am
Stats:
Skills:

Purchases:
Solid except for a couple key points.
  • It doesn't make sense for Boris to want to voluntarily give himself up to Tartarus Inc. Only a very tiny percentage of Tartarus Inc. prison inmates actually join the REKT troops - the rest are gassed and disposed of (I hear they make great fertilizer!). Even if he made it into REKT, and then survived REKT "rehabilitation" as they like to call it in their propaganda, Boris could simply wait it out and kill him afterwards at much less risk to himself.
    Ok fair point, I will make changes to account for this
  • Not necessarily a flaw, but could use some expansion: If a person tried to kill someone else in real life, I imagine the victim probably wouldn't suddenly become obsessed with killing the attempted murderer. Of all the cases I can think of, the chances of that happening are rather low. If Boris is so obsessed, that could use a bit of explanation. Perhaps something worse happened than just the sedative? Perhaps Boris is a bit broken already (and if so, why)?
    Don't agree completely here, it's not "just a sedative" it's your most trusted partner that always stood by your side that suddenly turns around and try to backstab you for his own profit. Additionally, Boris isn't really a normal person, he's a special agent, think KGB style, I don't think anyone there would take a murder attempt nicely. You might have a point that I should expand the backstory a little though.
  • Boris's goal of making his former partner's life a living hell is going to be rather difficult to pull off, especially seeing as he's been in cryo for X number of years. That is of course feasible and could make for an interesting story and a fun character to write, but I very much doubt it would stay the core focus of who he is - not to mention the chances of him actually meeting his former ally during this particular campaign are zero: there is no way to suspend disbelief in such an arrangement. The odds are simply too low.
    Point taken, but then again, I don't think Boris would've known that he would be frozen for an eternity so I don't feel like this should influence the backstory. I can expand it a bit though to give you some more stuff to work with but I don't agree that it should take pre-knowledge of being frozen for years.
  • Boris's former partner could probably use a name. :P
    eh yeah probably :P
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cha0zz wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:13 am
[*] Not necessarily a flaw, but could use some expansion: If a person tried to kill someone else in real life, I imagine the victim probably wouldn't suddenly become obsessed with killing the attempted murderer. Of all the cases I can think of, the chances of that happening are rather low. If Boris is so obsessed, that could use a bit of explanation. Perhaps something worse happened than just the sedative? Perhaps Boris is a bit broken already (and if so, why)?
Don't agree completely here, it's not "just a sedative" it's your most trusted partner that always stood by your side that suddenly turns around and try to backstab you for his own profit. Additionally, Boris isn't really a normal person, he's a special agent, think KGB style, I don't think anyone there would take a murder attempt nicely. You might have a point that I should expand the backstory a little though.
They might not take it nicely, but I doubt they'd go all over the galaxy to hunt down one person that seemed to wish to fade away into obscurity. If there was no risk to him or anything he cared about, why would he become so obsessed that killing this person became his "ultimate purpose"? "Well, he tried to kill me once," sounds a bit flimsy to me. To be clear: I'm not saying it will "never" work, just that it needs a bit of expansion. Maybe it was more than just a murder attempt. It particularly doesn't work well with total amnesia - there must be something that Boris feels and knows he has "lost" - something or someone he deeply cares about and remembers, but can no longer return to - for whatever reason that may be.

[*] Boris's goal of making his former partner's life a living hell is going to be rather difficult to pull off, especially seeing as he's been in cryo for X number of years. That is of course feasible and could make for an interesting story and a fun character to write, but I very much doubt it would stay the core focus of who he is - not to mention the chances of him actually meeting his former ally during this particular campaign are zero: there is no way to suspend disbelief in such an arrangement. The odds are simply too low.
Point taken, but then again, I don't think Boris would've known that he would be frozen for an eternity so I don't feel like this should influence the backstory. I can expand it a bit though to give you some more stuff to work with but I don't agree that it should take pre-knowledge of being frozen for years.
I think there's been a misunderstanding, so I'll rephrase.

A player (you or anyone) would have a very difficult time working Boris's hatred of his former partner into his character without it becoming bland and repetitive very quickly. Boris's partner may not even still exist, depending on how long he's been in cryo. I would say, in fact, that it would be better if Boris's partner didn't still exist, because at least then you can have Boris deal with a loss of identity and purpose, instead of a running commentary on "Grr, I hate my ex partner, this is something my ex partner would've thought of, this reminds me of my ex partner, did I mention I hate my ex partner?".

More specifically addressing pre-knowledge: you are right: Boris himself has no idea he's in cryo right now. I've made it very explicitly clear I think by this point that none of the inmates actually remember being put into cryo - or anything really leading up to it. The last thing player characters remember is simply being in a Tartarus Inc. cell aboard the Tartarus, possibly crammed in with a few other inmates who are also on death row. However: this does not mean that you, as the storywriter for your character and his backstory, cannot have knowledge of the fact that your character is in cryo, and cannot adjust parameters regarding backstory/personality to make your character more fun and interesting to play.

Important note: I'm not trying to say in any way that this is not a good character. I'm just trying to work with you to flesh him out more. :) My ultimate goal is to ensure that you, and everyone else "at the table", has as fun a time as possible. Deep characters can help tremendously with that. It may take more effort now, but it prevents a lot of headaches later on down the line.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now