Return to “Games”

Re: Baldur's Gate III

I had so much trouble with the mechanics/design/difficulty of the first area of Divinity: Original Sin that it was literally impossible for me to keep playing it. And that put me completely off the sequel.

So while I played and loved (and finished, more than once) the two Baldur's Gate games, I'm really, really not convinced that Larian is capable of doing justice to the BioWare designs.

Maybe I'm not being fair. I'm not discounting the positive experiences others have had, and I don't mind at all other people being excited by this news.

But... I don't know. Maybe if I make it through my backlog, and Larian doesn't do something that causes a no-sale flag for me, then maybe I'll risk it.

In the meantime, I'll certainly be interested in listening to the thoughts of anyone here who gives it a try.

Flatfingers wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:49 pm
I had so much trouble with the mechanics/design/difficulty of the first area of Divinity: Original Sin that it was literally impossible for me to keep playing it. And that put me completely off the sequel.
Huh?
That's odd, gf and I didn't have any issues of difficulty there (on normal difficulty) and it's not that we're hardcore geniuses or something.
What part did you have issues with?
In fact, the game's approach of 'here is the problem, here's a big box of toys, find your own solution' send like something that would've been right up your alley. :think:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:32 pm
Being made by the developers of the fantastic Divinity Original Sin I and II, Baldur's Gate III is coming!
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3- ... h-edition/
Based on DnD 5e, featuring co-op, sounds very good to me :D
Thanks for the heads-up, Dino. :thumbup: :D

Yes, I too thoroughly enjoyed the original Baldur's Gate games. I've never found the time to play Divinity Original Sin I and II so I'm hoping the new game will be a worthy addition to my collection.
Flatfingers wrote:
Maybe if I make it through my backlog, and Larian doesn't do something that causes a no-sale flag for me, then maybe I'll risk it.
I'll just add it to my mountain of unplayed games, Flat. :lol: I did purchase those revamped versions of the Baldur's Gate games which were released a while ago but I have no idea if they were worth buying.

One day I will escape the clutches of Skyrim and have more time to appreciate other games. *chuckle*

Who am I kidding? :angel:

Dinosawer wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 am
Flatfingers wrote:
Huh?
That's odd, gf and I didn't have any issues of difficulty there (on normal difficulty) and it's not that we're hardcore geniuses or something.
What part did you have issues with?
In fact, the game's approach of 'here is the problem, here's a big box of toys, find your own solution' send like something that would've been right up your alley. :think:

I know you guys must all think, "Geez, Flat really seems to suck at every game," but I don't. I just don't have a problem acknowledging when a particular game seems weirdly hard.

In the case of D:OS (which I see is now called "Divinity: Original Sin Classic"), it was health. I didn't expect or want all the fights to be cakewalks, but most of the fights in the first area forced me to use up multiple healing objects. Even after scouring every location for loot, and stealing everything I could pry loose from the tavern, and selling everything I could for money to buy more healing, I still could not keep up with the damage burn rate. Eventually it got to the point where I had no more means of healing, making the next fight and every one after it impossible. There was no point in playing any more.

Just as a check, I tried again just now. First, I confirmed the Difficulty is set to "Normal." Then I made sure I had on all the best armor and most appropriate weapons for my two characters and Jafar. Then I walked out the front gate and, despite my best tactics and spell use, got wiped out in three combat rounds by three zombies. And that was just a test encounter; pretty much all the fights were nearly that bad -- even if I survived, every fight cost more health potions than I could afford to replace.

Obviously lots of people must not have had this kind of problem, and enjoyed the game. OK. For me, it was abusively imbalanced, and I don't trust the people who made that game to do justice to the Baldur's Gate games that I did win, more than once, and had a great time playing.

Ah, well. Plenty of other games.

Legitimately unpopular opinion time:

I loathed Baldur's Gate. I felt like, for a D&D game, they did everything wrong. I made multiple attempts to get through it. Each time I lost interest. In my opinion: The pacing is off, the level and map design is off, and everything is few and too far between. The fights felt either too easy or abusively hard. The story was patchy and it took far too long to get between areas. Characters felt bland and forgettable (mostly (giant space hamster!)) and I didn't really see much character development. Trekking back and forth across the map felt like a real slog. I couldn't stand it.

Planescape: Torment, on the other hand, I adore. The world feels rich and vibrant. All characters were memorable. Walking around hardly felt like a chore because the maps were so well-designed, and the "interesting point" density was fairly high. It was a bewilderingly vibrant and imaginative world, and everyone - and everything - had a story. And that's something I could enjoy. Yeah, the fights weren't typically much to write home about, but that wasn't why I would play a D&D game to begin with. I mean honestly, who sits down at a D&D tabletop game and says, "Oh boy! I can't wait for the combat! Come on, DM, let's skip all the story stuff so we can start tossing dice around and calculating hitpoints!" :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 pm
I know you guys must all think, "Geez, Flat really seems to suck at every game," but I don't. I just don't have a problem acknowledging when a particular game seems weirdly hard.

In the case of D:OS (which I see is now called "Divinity: Original Sin Classic"), it was health. I didn't expect or want all the fights to be cakewalks, but most of the fights in the first area forced me to use up multiple healing objects. Even after scouring every location for loot, and stealing everything I could pry loose from the tavern, and selling everything I could for money to buy more healing, I still could not keep up with the damage burn rate. Eventually it got to the point where I had no more means of healing, making the next fight and every one after it impossible. There was no point in playing any more.

Just as a check, I tried again just now. First, I confirmed the Difficulty is set to "Normal." Then I made sure I had on all the best armor and most appropriate weapons for my two characters and Jafar. Then I walked out the front gate and, despite my best tactics and spell use, got wiped out in three combat rounds by three zombies. And that was just a test encounter; pretty much all the fights were nearly that bad -- even if I survived, every fight cost more health potions than I could afford to replace.

Obviously lots of people must not have had this kind of problem, and enjoyed the game. OK. For me, it was abusively imbalanced, and I don't trust the people who made that game to do justice to the Baldur's Gate games that I did win, more than once, and had a great time playing.

Ah, well. Plenty of other games.
I definitely didn't think that, and if it came over that way I apologise - I actually thought the opposite; "Flat is a smart guy and gf and I definitely aren't tactical geniuses, there must have been something important he missed that made the game so much harder for him"

We did play the enhanced edition, not classic, so it's possible they changed the balance there...
We always could just rely on the Regeneration spell for healing in and out of combat (we eventually had 1 point of hydrosophist on 3 of our 4 people to be able to use it more often) and we never really needed to use or buy potions. We also found buying skills more important than buying gear (which you generally find anyway) and if we couldn't do a fight it generally was because we were too low level, so we went to do other stuff and came back later.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

No, just the first one. I've played some Divinity: Original Sin 2 with Charley Deallus and I've enjoyed what I've played of that a good deal. If Baldur's Gate 3 is anything like that, I may end up enjoying it. To put it another way: either Flatfingers or I will enjoy Baldur's gate III, but it doesn't look like both of us will. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now