Return to “Games”

Re: Stellaris

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:28 pm
of course, but thats optional
If you are doing a cultural combat style, It'd make it pretty mandatory, combine it with subversive options, like spies and religious conversion attempts...
Then you have an aspect of peacetime war that'd be interesting and fun.

You'd likely want to make more than a single pop grow at a time too, so that multiple species could be immigrating/emigrating properly.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:00 pm
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
If you are doing a cultural combat style, It'd make it pretty mandatory, combine it with subversive options, like spies and religious conversion attempts...

You'd likely want to make more than a single pop grow at a time too, so that multiple species could be immigrating/emigrating properly.
it worked pretty good in galciv 2 *shrug*

im not saying that it wouldnt be neat, but for a basic mechanic its not required.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:58 am
Silverware wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:

it worked pretty good in galciv 2 *shrug*

im not saying that it wouldnt be neat, but for a basic mechanic its not required.
Fair enough.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Silverware wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:

tbh i'd include the current trade routes first, because they already exist and would be a prime factor on cultural exchange

Cpt wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 am
For anyone interested who hasn't played the game, it's currently free for the weekend with a nice discount. I haven't gotten around to play it yet so this is perfect for me! :)

Anybody got any tips and tricks for first-time players?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/281990/Stellaris/
I'd leave the advisor chappy on and listen to him/her! Also, a smaller map is a good idea for a first game.

And, um, don't attack Fallen Empires :twisted: Or do if you're suicidal!

Small maps are a good way to start yes, as is leaving research at 1x, you might think that'd be helpful being lower, but it tends to cause more issues with your stability than anything.

Also don't build every resource harvester you can immediately, and leave planets until they have only 1-2 free jobs before building anything new on the planet. Population grows slowly, and over extending and not having the population can be a problem.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

I'm still playing Niven 2.1.3 (42f6). I don't like the new economic model.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Gunther Haldan wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:12 pm
I'm still playing Niven 2.1.3 (42f6). I don't like the new economic model.
The new economy synergises well with the new space travel models. Both being slower makes for a bit more of a deliberate game.
Which helps to force the players into smaller fleets, instead of death stacks.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

After owning Stellaris since it was released, and slogging my way a couple of times through the detailed faction creation options, I'm finally trying an actual game.

What I find myself wishing is that someone has put together a one-page "What You Really Need To Know For Your First Game of Stellaris" document. I understand that Paradox games have lots of choices, and they're not shy about exposing them to you right away, but there are some basic things that seem really non-obvious.

Example 1: In the Shipyard window, I keep clicking on the list of possible ships over in the rightmost column, thinking that's how to display detailed functional information about those ships... except that doing this, with no "are you sure?" dialog popped up, instantly deducts resources and adds that ship to the shipyard's build queue! No! NOT what I wanted! As soon as I get done writing this and fire up the game, I'm going to look to see if there's a setting to demand "are you sure?" dialogs. If not, I just can never bring the Shipyard screen back up -- it's too dangerous!

Example 2: Not knowing anything else to do, I sent a science ship to survey a neighboring star system. OK... now what? Oh, hey, I've got a constructor ship just sitting in my home system doing nothing -- maybe I can send it to the new system to... hmmm... build a mining thing next to the system's star? Nope, can't do that, "unclaimed system." Sigh. OK, then, how does one claim a system? Ten minutes of clicking reveals nothing that explains how to claim an empty system. Fine, use their online web thing that probably is sending all my personal information to Google and Facebook's ad networks... ah. You have to use a constructor ship to build a starbase. Why is this information so hard to find in the actual game itself?

Example 3: Things have been nice and quiet as I explore three next-door star systems, but I assume this game's designers are certain that no one could possibly enjoy peaceful exploration; I expect soon I'll be forced to run into either Space Barbarians or one of the opposing factions. What should I be doing to prepare for that unhappy moment when I have to start defending my stuff from jerks? Obviously "acquire resources to build fighting ships," but equally obviously -- this being a Paradox game -- there's got to be more to it than that. Government settings? Planetary buildings? Defense ships in every edge star system, and only claim systems slowly enough to do that? Or expand as quickly as possible and pull back where necessary?

Is there any document that lists clearly-written pieces of useful knowledge like this for first-time players of this game?

Flatfingers wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:13 am
Example 1: In the Shipyard window, I keep clicking on the list of possible ships over in the rightmost column, thinking that's how to display detailed functional information about those ships... except that doing this, with no "are you sure?" dialog popped up, instantly deducts resources and adds that ship to the shipyard's build queue! No! NOT what I wanted! As soon as I get done writing this and fire up the game, I'm going to look to see if there's a setting to demand "are you sure?" dialogs. If not, I just can never bring the Shipyard screen back up -- it's too dangerous!
You can instantly return those resources, even on half constructed ships by cancelling them on the queue.
Flatfingers wrote:
Example 2: Not knowing anything else to do, I sent a science ship to survey a neighboring star system. OK... now what? Oh, hey, I've got a constructor ship just sitting in my home system doing nothing -- maybe I can send it to the new system to... hmmm... build a mining thing next to the system's star? Nope, can't do that, "unclaimed system." Sigh. OK, then, how does one claim a system? Ten minutes of clicking reveals nothing that explains how to claim an empty system. Fine, use their online web thing that probably is sending all my personal information to Google and Facebook's ad networks... ah. You have to use a constructor ship to build a starbase. Why is this information so hard to find in the actual game itself?
This information is provided by the tutorial bot, don't dismantle him.
Flatfingers wrote:
Example 3: Things have been nice and quiet as I explore three next-door star systems, but I assume this game's designers are certain that no one could possibly enjoy peaceful exploration; I expect soon I'll be forced to run into either Space Barbarians or one of the opposing factions. What should I be doing to prepare for that unhappy moment when I have to start defending my stuff from jerks? Obviously "acquire resources to build fighting ships," but equally obviously -- this being a Paradox game -- there's got to be more to it than that. Government settings? Planetary buildings? Defense ships in every edge star system, and only claim systems slowly enough to do that? Or expand as quickly as possible and pull back where necessary?
You can go tall, or wide, you can do peaceful and form a Federation, or do aggressive and form only a few alliances for war, or you can just eat everyone/thing.
Flatfingers wrote:
Is there any document that lists clearly-written pieces of useful knowledge like this for first-time players of this game?
The best way to learn this game, along with EVERY other Paradox game, is to play it, and watch others play it.
Asking in multiplayer is always smart, as many people who play have tried other things, and will be able to give you at least something to think about.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now