Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: The Nemesis (Battlecarrier)

((I'll RP my conversation, but I don't really mind Saoirse not doing so if you don't want to, Dino.))
[IC]Caleb[/IC]
Talvieno wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 am
  "The cryo people," Anelle whispers, timidly accepting the handshake. "Yes, I'm Anelle. I'm glad to meet you. I already met Miles, and Bob. Are they all right?"
I wince slightly. Giving this kind of news to anybody is never fun. "Well, Bob is alright, but...Miles didn't make it. I'm sorry."

"Yeah, Bob is fine! Well, as fine as most of us."
I glance downward to my bandaged crutched leg.
"Last I saw he was making new friends."
"Well, I was wondering if there was a place where I can download some digital books to do some learning in my free time. Dunno about Caleb."
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Head out of the conference room
Remember my initial plan of bribing the captain, and then remember the utter hopelessness of trying to find him on this god-forsaken ship. Think of something else.
Try and find my way to the labs through the labyrinthine (to me) halls of the ship
Once I'm there, find the smartest-looking scientist that isn't busy and approach them.
If they don't seem too unfriendly, try making some brief small talk with them
-after the brief chit-chat, make an inquiry:

"So, uh, you pissed off 'bout the lack o' grub too? I literally haven't eaten in ages, n' all that the greedy ""cook"", who dun' even know how to cook, is offerin' me are them queer n' fishy bar things! I'm tellin' ya, I ain't eatin' none o' that rotten fish food crap! So I was wonderin', like, y'all's in here are very smart n' shit, could you make some food with them funny-soundin' chemicals o' yours? I'd pay you tin!"

if I am told that such a thing isn't possible:

"But 'Dory's Burgers' back at home made all o' their stuff in labs, least so I heard! Yeah, that cheese was always a bit... off, n' the patty was like bitin' burnt rubber, but hey, t'was better than them bar things, for sure! If a bunch o' corpos with a lab could do it, so can we! If y'all need a cookbook or somethin', I can try findin' it!"

*Mumble to self*
These people are insane if they think they're going to fight with what amounts to tissue paper as a hull.
I might actually be safer in a CASKET. That would be a first.

Leave the conference room behind and got to the hangar.
Once there, locate and approach Meredith.
"Greetings, Mara! I have successfully completed the task I was given.
Mr. Rayden to his credit did try to resist my charm, but he did eventually give in; they always do.
You should now have the power you require to complete your work. With my job now flawlessly finished, I'd like to have access to one of your smaller drills for a moment."
Breaker of fortune cookies

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 am
"Okay, so you're sure you really want to --" Frank nods. "Well, I guess we can make an exception then... just this time. That's going to be more paperwork for me, though."
A sense of relief flows through Frank, his posture loosening up a bit. After all, this was less about reliability (even if the hiltorel sword didn't seem even remotely shabby against the alpha drake) and more about...was it safety?

With a slightly hopeful note in his voice, he asks:
"I-It wouldn't be possible to...let me have it on board...no?"

With a slight grimace he looks to the side.
"And do you know someone I can ask for training? With...swords...and perhaps...non-lethal things...like...takedowns and such...?"
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Follow Kenji to the cart.

"Kenji, esteemed doctor - I assure you that I shall help with the mop afterwards, if my duties permit. It simply makes more sense to get care of the bigger job first, and clear the mess after everything's done."

IF I see Brom,
Eye him with suspicion.
IF I have a cart, accidentally bump the cart into him.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

cuisinart8 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 am
I nod. "Actually, I'm looking for the same thing. I was wondering if you had anything about hiltorel weapons or about the history of this cluster and any important figures here."
"Ah good idea, neat - hadn't figured you to be the academic type."

Update time!

  Ishmael and Vynkor start following the Lead Bioengineer, Kenji Akronis, through the dim hallways towards a set of other rooms. Gene, on the other hand, stays put - perhaps not wanting to partake in the activities. His loss.
  "Vat skin?" Vynkor mutters, glaring at Kenji's back as they walk down the corridors. He's got cool tech, sure, but he's a total asshole.
  Ishmael walks ahead of Vynkor to catch up with the doctor. "Kenji, esteemed doctor," Ishmael calls out.
  Kenji's pace doesn't slow. "Hmm? What is it?"
  Respectfully, the priest says, "I assure you that I shall help with the mop afterwards, if my duties permit. It simply makes more sense to get care of the bigger job first, and clear the mess after everything's done."
  "Eh, maybe, maybe," the man replies, shrugging. "We will see when you arrive." After a moment, he glances over his shoulder. "Ah... it seems Mr. Gene has not followed us. That is... quite too bad. ...Do you people have names? Or was Gene the only one among you?" This last is rhetorical and uttered in a sardonic tone. ((taking a liberty here)) The inmates give their names (with Ishmael insisting on being called Dr. Ishmael, as per usual) and Kenji acknowledges it. "This is for job of three people. Vat girl - Vinker - you are stronger one of two. You will handle cutter when necessary. Ishmael will push cart and lift when necessary, but only smaller pieces. Ishmael, you look agile enough... ...despite your size."

  At this moment, he turns the corner and enters a vast open area, and the two inmates follow. They are immediately accosted by a terrible, slightly sweet metallic smell. The source becomes apparent as soon as the pair rounds the corner, entering a blackened room lit only by mobile floodlights that cast eerie shadows on the walls.
  The damage to this portion of the medbay is extensive: a large round of artillery from a subcapital ship must have impacted directly against the outer wall. While devoid of human life other than the three that stand there, there is an incredible quantity of dried, blackened blood spattered and pooled all over the room. Specks of what might be human remains are scattered throughout, although it seems some crew has previously been through to collect most of it. Among this, twisted sheets and beams of metal - some from destroyed hallways, some from the partially-destroyed ceiling above - litter the floor, providing, in some cases, insurmountable obstacles. Further, fragments of furniture, shelving, chairs, laboratory and medical equipment lay scattered in charred, broken pieces all across the room, and all of this wreckage is dominated by the great sheet of clean metal integrated firmly as part of the far wall: a makeshift barrier against the empty vacuum of space.
  "Welcome to central area of Bioengineering Maintenance," Kenji says grimly, walking slowly into the area and re-surveying the decimation. "Only a week ago it was busy place, frequented by many and all who come for repairs. Was a particularly heavy day. I needed coffee. Much coffee. I was not here for the attack, but many of my workers were, and my best. This is why you need mop, ayvahda, to clean them up. But that can come another time.
  "Vinker!" he calls, hefting a large piece of equipment with a sharp circular blade. "No mop for you today. Here is cutter - is heavy - careful with cable." He puts it into her hands; it's a lot heavier than he makes it look. "Use cutter for bigger pieces. And there is cart, Ishmael," he says, pointing at not a single cart, but a train of them, like a series of ancient minecarts hooked together - but without the wheels, and levitating instead to avoid getting caught on small debris. "You fill carts with garbage. Gloves are in carts, masks are in carts. Good for continued health. When carts are full, pull them into hallway and we will get them. Continue until you are tired, and you may leave. Engineers do not work for free I know, and I will pay based on job done."
  Just at that moment, Kenji's PDA starts ringing. Cut short, he quickly pulls it out of his pocket and checks it. "Sau...rissy?" he says, sounding something out. "Ayvahda, some green is playing with the comms. I will leave you two for now and deal with this madness. If I find anyone else to assist, I will send them to you."
  And he exits, walking away and leaving the two inmates to their work.
  
  ((This would be an excellent opportunity for Vynkor and Ishmael to get to know each other, I feel. If you're not interested, just say so and you can "leave" immediately after "working silently for a while". I feel like they might have some fun getting to know each other though. To my knowledge, Vynkor is an aetheist, and also was "created by humans" whereas Ishmael is a staunch believer of creationism by FSM. His thoughts on Vynkor's existence could be interesting.))

~~~

  Elsewhere, Anelle has just learned of Miles' demise. She is downhearted, but not overly so, nor surprised. Deaths happen frequently in REKT, so it is unavoidable. All the same, she is a bit sad. Fortunately, Saoirse of all people is there to reassure her. "Bob is fine!" she says quickly. "Well, as fine as... uh... most of us." She glances conspicuously at her leg, and then Caleb's.
  Anelle does not seem very persuaded, and frowns.
  "Well..." Saoirse mumbles. "Last I saw he was making new friends."
  Nodding awkwardly, the ex-librarian gives a shy smile.
  There is silence.
  Caleb clears his throat. This merely makes the unpleasant stillness more pronounced.
  "ANYWAY," Saoirse finally says, "I was wondering if there was a place I could download some digital books to do some learning in my free time. Dunno about Caleb."
  The soldier nods. "Actually, I'm looking for the same thing. I was wondering if you had anything about hiltorel weapons, or about the history of this cluster and any important figures here."
  "Oh, neat," Saoirse says, sounding just a little more sarcastic than she intended. "Hadn't figured you to be the... academic type." The unfortunate pauses and emphasis are just a natural result of Saoirse being a horrible people-person. She was actually trying to give him a compliment.
  Anelle looks uncomfortably at Saoirse and seems to almost imperceptibly edge away from her. Understandably, she doesn't much care for mean people. Fortunately, Caleb is able to salvage the situation with an easygoing laugh. "Well, I don't know if I'd call myself academic. But I know the value of having good intelligence when it comes to staying alive! I don't like that we're flying blind here."
  "I can help," Anelle says, suppressing a giggle. It's almost a whisper; she's a very quiet girl by nature. "Come follow me, okay?"

  And so, the two inmates embark on a grand, unsought quest through the dark and foreboding land of the-part-of-the-ship-with-only-emergency-power. They would face many terrible monsters along the way, such as Saoirse's terrible tact, and Caleb's inner demons (but mostly Saoirse's terrible tact (or lack thereof (really, she doesn't have any (it's kind of scary)))), but after they crossed the Mighty Peak of Too Many Parentheses, they came to a quiet clearing known as a brightly-lit hallway with dual alcoves on either side. After this wonderful 80's montage re-enactment, their guide, Anelle the Grey, shook out her wizard's hat - or, er, skirt, I suppose - and announced that they had arrived.

  "Here," Anelle says softly, walking over to the two terminals on the left and keys them up. "You can use these terminals to access whatever you'd like - digital copies of our entire library. It's not the same as real books, but it will have to do. After you key your PDA with your session, you can access the digital library from anywhere you have a direct connection to the Nemesis. But... well, data clearance is lower if you do it remotely," she admits, "but you may still find it helpful."

   ((Anelle will linger for a moment to see if you need anything, and then leave you both to your thing. If you guys want to study or talk, this is a great opportunity for either.))

~~~

  Frank is quite glad that he'll get to bring his sword along on future missions. But... in for a penny, in for a pound. He wonders if he could wrangle a little more out of this. "It wouldn't be possible for me to have my sword with me onboard... would it?" he asks hopefully.
  Dennis Hoffman gives him a slightly annoyed glance. "Nay."
  Grimacing at the perceived annoyance, Frank asks further, "Then do you know of anyone I could ask for training?"
  "Right now, lad? With everybody trying to get the ship to working order again?"
  Frank nods.
  "Nay."
  Well... that little conversation snippet didn't go quite as planned.

  ((for the record, sorry I didn't see this and answer it in between last turn and this one. I skipped over it somehow.))
  

~~~~

  "So, uh... you pissed off 'bout the lack o' grub too?"
  Buck leans idly against a all in the research lab, doing his best to look cool and relaxed. A few scientists nearby look up in his direction as he continues. "Ayyyup," he grunts, looking at his fingernails, "I literally haven't eaten in ages, n' all that greedy 'cook' who dun' even know how to cook, is offerin' me aree these queer n' fishy bar things! I'm tellin' ya, I ain't eatin' none o' that rotten fish-food crap! So I was wonderin', like... y'all's in here are very smart n' shit, could you make some food with them funny-soundin' chemicals o' yours?"
  There is no response.
  "I'd pay you tin," Buck adds helpfully. It's an offer they can't possibly turn down. Right?
  One of the scientists sighs and puts down his datapad. "We can't just 'assemble' food," he says, leaning forwards in his chair. "We have nutrient paste stocked up as a last resort but it's just carefully bred highly-processed algae cultures. We can make it into the shape of food, give it texture, and add flavoring, but it's still bland and not 'real food'. yAs for making food from pure chemicals, it's not like we're living in a work of science fiction."
  Unconvinced, Buck barrels on. "But Dory's Burgers back at home made all o' their stuff in labs, last so I heard! Yeah, that cheese was always a bit off... and the patty was like bitin' burnt rubber, but hey, t'was better than them bar things for sure! If a bunch o corpos with a lab could do it, so can we!"
  "We do not presently possess the appropriate equipment," another scientist says. "It is preposterously nonsensical to believe that one could assemble food from nanomaterials and chemicals that would still comprise a nutritionally viable substance. Desist your abstract maundering and utilize the neurons in your cranial cavity!"
  Buck is silent for a moment.
  Just a moment, though. "If you guys want a cookbook or something, I could try findin' it, I guess."
  The second scientist sighs in exasperation and doesn't bother dignifying your statement with a response.\

~~~

  In the hangar...

  "GREETINGS, MARA!" a voice booms with the glorious dulcet tones that only a very particular person can muster.
  Startled, Mara nearly busts her head open on the bottom of the CASKET she's trying to repair with the help of a few other people. "WHAT?! ...Oh for fukc's sake," she groans, extricating herself from the scaffolding and equipment. "I thought I told Ishmael... ugh, nevermind. What the hell do you want?"
  Brom beams, resting a foot on a small crate and striking the valiant pose of a conquering hero. "I, Brom Keegan, have successfully completed the task I was given! Mr. Rayden (to his credit) did try to resist my charm, but he eventually gave in. They always do."
  Mara seems to melt. Not a good swooning melt like Brom might prefer, but one of exhaustion and exasperation. "Yes, I know all about y-"
  "YOU should NOW HAVE the power you require to complete your work!" Brom finishes with a dazzling flourish of his hands. "With my job now flawlessly finished, I'd like to have access to one of your smaller drills for a moment."
  "Please. Take my drills," Mara half begs. "Take whatever you want. It's all yours. I need to get back to work."
  Another grateful damsel swooning before the conquering hero Brom Keegan! But no, he is not here to take this fair maiden's maidenhood today, and "drill" is certainly not a euphemism of any sort! - this time! But Brom Keegan's job was well done, as only Brom Keegan can do, because after all, Brom Keegan is... Brom Keegan.
  Brom Keegan struts grandly over to the power tools to claim his prize.

~~~

  Elsewhere in the hangar......

  "Hey Mr. Bryce!" Bob chirps chattily. "Meh bob!" He extends his hand to shake.
  The guy looks puzzled. "No, I'm Steve, not Bryce. Bryce is over there." He points in a vague direction.
  "Oh. Thank you! Jimmy says thank you too!" Bob says gratefully, and marches a few meters in that direction, gravitating to the next nearest person. "Hey Mr. Bryce! Meh Bob!"
  
  After some length of searching ((hence why Bob is placed last in this update)), Bob finally stumbles across... well, not Mr. Bryce Mayweather. It's a middle-aged man with arms positively covered with tattoos. He has dark, mussed hair that looks like he hasn't given it a thought in years other than to awkwardly cut it.
  "You," the man says, his voice laden with frustration. "You have inmate suit - Bob, yes? You match others I found. You heard of Gene? Vat gi- ah, Vinkur? Ishmael, ken? Ayvahdah, answer, you big -"
  "I know Mr. Ishmael!" Bob answers cheerfully, not at all noticing the man's frustration. "Bob-boss met him during the last mission."
  "Hmph." After looking Bob up and down for a few moments, the man introduces himself. "I'm Kenji Akronis. Bioengineer lead. Are you looking for work?"
  Bob nods.
  "Head down to medbay - ask for central bioengineering area. Vinkur and Ishmael there working already. You hurry, you work too? Good arms on you. You lift things, Ishmael can mop, sound like yes?"
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Ooh neat!
I grab my PDA and eagerly head over the terminal, and look over what they have.
After a bit, I realise that in my eagerness I forgot the basic rules of polite conversation (again) and look back to Annelle, smile and say
"Thanks a lot, this is really neat!"

(( inb4 another -1 charisma roll ))
I load up my PDA with a variety of technical books on anomalous research, PSI tech and astrophysics.
"Well, I'm gonna study a bit then.
Bye Caleb!"

Feeling in need of some alone time after all that happened and all the interaction with people, I amble down to the bunks, to the room Bob and I cleared before the mission. I lay down on the bed and start reading the books I got, going back over what research guy thought me, and starting to go through a book on basic astronomy.
After a few hours of reading, I put the PDA aside and lay and let my thoughts run for a while, mentally shelving the events of the last few days.
About an hour later, I pull out my PDA and go into my background files to pull up some photos of my parents.
I look at them, wistfully, for a while, and touch my hand to my PDA as if wanting to reach through the screen.

You probably think I must be dead by now, it’s been four years…
Dad probably blames himself for all of this… Good thing he has Mom to keep him grounded.
I wonder where you are now… did you ever move back to New Dublin?

After pondering for bit more, I reach a decision, sit upright, and set up my PDA to video-record myself, and start talking*.
“Hey mom and dad! Er… it’s me. I’m not sure when this message will reach you, if I can get it to you - today is [whatever day it is] 3152.
I’m sorry it’s been so long that you didn’t hear from me, but… I’m not dead! After they sent me to Tartarus I was put in the REKT program… but then was volunteered for testing cryo tech… I know it sounds made up, but it’s true! I was in a cryopod for four years and I missed all of that time…
They only woke me up two days ago because they needed more REKT people because we’re in a spot of trouble. But I’m fine, and I even made one or two friends here already I think...”
I proceed to explain the situation I am in and the events of the past days, but glossing over the seriousness of how bad a situation we are in and sounding way more optimistic about things than is probably warranted.
(( which is partly Saoirse being pretty optimistic and partly her not wanting to worry her parents any more than they’ll already be ))
“So… I think I’ll be stuck here for quite a while longer, but I promise I’ll get home again and see you two. No matter how long it takes me. I promise!”
After a short silence, I softly start singing.
“So fare thee well, my own true love
I'll think of you night and day
A place in my mind you will surely find
Although I am so far away”
At this point, my voice breaks and tears start rolling over my left cheek, but I keep on singing.
“And when I'm alone far away from home
I'll think of the good times once more
Until I can make it back someday here
To Paddy's green shamrock shore”
After a few more seconds of silence, I sniff and finish with
“I love you. See you soon, I hope.”
and reach over to the PDA to finish the recording, save it, and make a backup on the Nemesis network storage.
Then I lay down again, and fall asleep after a while, my PDA next to me, with the picture of my parents still on the screen.

*((Spoken text is actually in Irish but has been translated to English for benefit of the reader))

A few hours later, I wake up, look at my PDA, sigh and minimise the picture, and check back the armory info.
Then I hobble to the armory, find someone to bother and ask
"Er hi! Er, so, I was wondering, the MUSE robotic attachment "
I point at the info I have open on my PDA
"it says it comes with a telescope, a spectrometer and a multispectrum camera, but I was wondering, all those all hooked up to one another? Like, can I take spectograms and multispectrum observations of astronomical phenomena with it as well or are they separate functions?"
if they are separate functions, I ask
"Oh... hm. You don't sell a version that does that, by any chance? I'm fine if it costs a bit extra, it may come in handy given that our sensors are apparently shot."
(( as long as a bit extra isn't more than 1850 creds in total for MUSE + addon, since that's how much I have :ghost: ))
otherwise I just buy the base MUSE.
Last edited by Dinosawer on Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Online Now