Return to “General”

Where to be notified about code release, and any fan-based projects to bring LT-like games to life using code?

Long title, asking two questions.

I'm interested in whether/when code is released (and to whom,) and this is a topic which is being thoroughly discussed elsewhere. But I don't want to discuss it, I just want to be notified when it happens. Is the RSS still the best for that?

Secondly, I'm interested in any projects taken up by fans to use the code (or even just the concepts) of LT to release a playable game incorporating elements of LT. We all believed in this dream, now I want to know where to find the realities which spawn from the dream.

Thanks for any help.
Re: Where to be notified about code release, and any fan-based projects to bring LT-like games to life using code?

Damocles wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:58 pm
Has been a month since the project was cancelled. The code has not been released. Configuring it so it can be compiled to something and removing some "critical" elements does not take that long. Even a random half-refactored mess would be usable for someone interested. There is a chance that he does not plant to release it..
Give him a chance, Damocles. LT has been all-consuming for the last seven years of his life, a month is not enough time to get over that.
I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't started to look at what needs doing yet.

And when he does, altering the codebase could very easily take more than a month anyway. I don't know what size of code you're used to working with, but I've worked on a great many large scale ones that, if they were in a sufficiently poor state, could easily take six months to get to somewhere where it'd be intelligible.

If we hear something about release before the end of the year, I'd be very content with that and it wouldn't bother me if it wasn't until next year if it meant that Josh could hand over something more usable.
--
Mind The Gap
Re: Where to be notified about code release, and any fan-based projects to bring LT-like games to life using code?

No one expects him to finish the code into a releasable state. The project ended anyways. No need to make it neat. (Apart from deleting third party code if there is a conflict)
Its basically enough to throw the current codebase over the fence, even if its in a non working state, and possibly a previous running build (like the PAX Demo), to have a working reference.
If someone would actually use the code, its likely to be taken apart and recombined anyways.

Be patient, Damocles. I've seen the code. Releasing it in a "useful state" would require a lot of work. In the state it was in when I last saw it (pre-refactor even) it would be no use to anyone except the most hardcore, dedicated of coders. In short: there is more to it than there may seem.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Damocles wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:50 pm
No one expects him to finish the code into a releasable state. The project ended anyways. No need to make it neat.
I wholeheartedly agree with this, but this is Josh we're talking about. He's still a perfectionist at heart. And while it pains me to say it, this is also what caused the project to veer off the rails.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Just to throw the idea out there. one strategy could be to set up a page on github and release the current code base and then release refactored/commented code as a more leisurely pace. I doubt a perfectionist would want to do that, but it would be one way to appease the folks that are chomping at the bit.

I'm still learning Lua, so I'm not ready to jump out the gates yet.

Far be it from me to dictate the terms of his farewell, but I think Josh would have been wise to release the source code with a bit more haste. I think it rather undermines all the previous talk about simplicity, clean code, decoupled architectures and whatnot when it takes him more than a month to tidy up and release a codebase that is probably around the ~150k LOC range (a guess based on the 100k number he mentioned a few years back with respect to the tractability problems he was having).

I say the above with the assumption that he's not doing any rewrites on the code as he's preparing it. And obviously I don't think this is his sole occupation currently. I'm just saying it feels somewhat off.

I would think Josh is extremely busy with life now. Doubt he has anytime to sort through and release anything.

I mean: How is he making rent? Does he have a car payment...What about health insurance? Electric bill/phone bill/water bill. Insurance payment.........Does he even have internet? $$

Probably filling out job apps or making a resume....or enrolling in school.

I just hope Josh has found a job...making money $$, paying bills and has the time to enjoy X4/Elite/Star Citizen/NMS/ etc..... Then when his life has settled down....upload the source.

RedDwarfMining wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:24 am
I would think Josh is extremely busy with life now. Doubt he has anytime to sort through and release anything.

I mean: How is he making rent? Does he have a car payment...What about health insurance? Electric bill/phone bill/water bill. Insurance payment.........Does he even have internet? $$

Probably filling out job apps or making a resume....or enrolling in school.

I just hope Josh has found a job...making money $$, paying bills and has the time to enjoy X4/Elite/Star Citizen/NMS/ etc..... Then when his life has settled down....upload the source.
I agree, he was never required to release the code, the fact that he is stands testament to his dedication to the backers and people who feel they might be able to do something. Most companies just shut the door and disappear giving out nothing more than a quick forum post, and sometimes not even that.

I don't mean to be the jerk in the room, but gentlemen, lets all be realistic here.

If the last 7 years has been any sort of lesson to anyone, don't get your hopes up.

I was actually surprised Josh was so quick to announce the end of the project. I was not surprised in the least when he made it, I sort of figured it would have been another year disappearance before dropping the bomb.

If I was Josh at this point I would put everything on a flash drive, put it on a shelf up high somewhere, then just delete everything, and shut this forum down. A clean break is sometimes needed. Move on and put the past behind.

Furthermore, Josh should probably be cautious to what he does from here on in. There was enough money and emotions involved that someone with enough time and dedication on their hands could take action. I am hardly an expert, so I don't know if releasing the code would help or hurt him in this aspect. However, the code could be used by someone at some future date to prove that the money and seven years was not used responsibly.

Just saying.
My Signature

Online Now