Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: Beyond The Edge (Main Thread)

As you guys have probably guessed by now, I've hit a major slump with productivity. I feel like I ought to at least post here about it so you guys know what's going on.

The past several weeks have been rather trying for me. I'm not actually sure whether I'm going to be able to keep my job as Josh's Community Manager, for one. For another, I have a pet dying of cancer that I'm quite close to and have had for 15 years. Then, Stardust is having enough family/job troubles that we're probably going to have to put our plans to move in together on hold. My stepgrandma is also doing pretty poorly and I doubt she'll live another few years at this point, with all the issues she's having.

In short, I've grown rather depressed.

Depression leads to me staying up at night playing games that are fun (mostly Warframe) to get my mind off things; staying up late makes me sleep late; sleeping late lowers my productivity, and low productivity makes me feel guilty and unhappy. It's a vicious cycle, honestly, and I'm not entirely sure how to get out of it. On the surface it seems simple: "Fix your sleep schedule." In practice, that's easier said than done, especially considering that the medication for the cat requires me to be up at 2 in the morning, and my gf usually only has time to talk during the day past midnight.

I'm sorry about the schedule slippage, guys. Rest assured, I am taking steps to try to fix it. I've been working on things in other areas in the meantime - I just find it hard to write GM-type posts when I'm not in a "good headspace". I'm not entirely sure how to explain that. In other areas, I've gotten a little done with the charsheet creator - updated things, fixed things, added class recognition as a little toy. (Saoirse is PSI Adept, Buck is Hacker, to name a couple.) I'm also working on listing out OOC details on the Nemesis Status page on the wiki, so you'll know what all the different upgrades do.

I just wanted to let you guys know where things stand, and that I am working on REKT, and it is continuing - I'm just at a low point right now.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Ashenraynor wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:14 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:53 pm

In short, I've grown rather depressed.
Hey Tal,

I'm sorry to hear that you're in a slump. I just wanted to reach out and thank you for being the life-blood of the LT community. You've been doing a great job. I hope things go smoothly for you and your family as the hard times pass.

Hang in there.
Thank you, Ashenraynor. You don't post much, but I've found myself deeply appreciating it when you do, and this is no exception. These kind words mean a lot to me. I'm also somewhat surprised to see you on the REKT board. From what I remember, you usually frequent devlogs. :P Not complaining, though - it's always nice when people stop by here, even if just for a visit.
Cha0zz wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:16 am
Talvieno, take all the time you need ok?
REKT can come after all other things, getting back into a good mood is more important than REKT and there is absolutely no need to feel bad or guilty about that.
If you feel the need to talk to someone or get something from your chest, know that I'm always willing to listen.
Thanks, Cha0zz, that helps me feel a bit better. It's not just REKT, though. My productivity is dropping in all areas, and that bothers me a good deal. LT included. :P I appreciate your offer of listening, too, and may take you up on that.

Ideally I'll be able to get back into everything quickly. Maybe my being able to post here about it is a sign that I'm starting on the upswing? Not holding my breath, though - I know things can end up going either way.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

There's absolutely nothing to feel guilty for, Tal! I'm sure I speak for all the players when I say on the contrary, we are massively thankful for all the love, time and energy you put in the game. If you need some time to get your spirits back in order then that's just how it is, and nobody is going to mind that, or blame you for not getting updates out - this is you doing us a massive favour, not something we expect or deserve. As I've told you many times before, your mental health is way way more important than REKT.
And if you want to talk about things, you know where to find me (IRC is kinda tricky atm due to time and the abomination here that is supposed to pass for wifi, but I do read my forum pm's and stuff), and I hope you feel better soon - not because of REKT, but because I care about you. :)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Okay, detailing a number of other changes I've made lately, prior to the next "season" of REKT:

Ship Catalog changes:
  • Mk 1b Luxury CASKET speed boost has been clarified
  • Drop-Pod Carrier has been fully added and costs 7000 creds
  • Mk II CASKET price has been lowered to 4500 creds; details clarified
  • STITCH Gunship price has been lowered to 7500 creds
  • GREASE Support vessel price has been lowered to 6500 creds
  • VITAL Dropship fully added, price lowered greatly to 10000 creds
  • Mk III CASKET price has been lowered to 10000 creds; now requires +2 aux
  • SISTA Destroyer fully added, priced at 13000 creds

Infantry Items & Tools changes:
  • NEW ITEM: Layer Scanner. Priced at 1500 creds, lets you scan enemy weapons to potentially use them.
  • Painkillers now priced at 200 each
  • Anti-shock Meds now priced at 200 each
  • Coagulant boosters now priced at 200 each
  • Whiff has been completely removed
  • QuickDraw slots can be purchased singularly for 500 creds
  • Breachkit price lowered to 500
  • Claymore pack has an added +1 chance to succeed and listed as capable of killing multiple enemies
  • Battle Stims have now been completely removed

Robotics changes:
  • NEW ITEM: Robotics armor. Armor your arms!
  • Forceps laser is now priced at 500 creds
  • Piton gun is now priced at 500 creds
  • Wrist-mounted scythe now priced at 500 creds; now lacks the +1 bonus of other melee robotics
  • Auxiliary hardpoint attachment now only costs 2500 creds
  • Robotic fingers attachment now only costs 2500 creds

Auxiliary changes:
  • Scout drones price has been lowered to 500 creds
  • Pressure globe price has been lowered to 1500 creds; Details added
  • SPEAR tip upgrade price has been raised to 2500 creds
  • Afterburner System price has been lowered to 2500 creds; Details updated
  • Landing Autopilot added - price set at 1000 creds

Other new items:
  • Cryo Psyamp: A freeze ray for exotics users. Mounted on ships, very cheap.
  • SCANS helm: For when you want to use a PDA, but want to do it hands-free. Also somewhat good for non-robotics users.

Character sheet:
  • All prices have been edited to reflect the new values, where applicable
  • The despicable "choose two things you want and we'll roll you a worthless character that is only good at those two specific things" generator has been ripped completely out and replaced with default character classes.
  • Your characters are now sorted into their respective classes! (Still just-for-fun)
  • Tweaked a few other minor things
  • The character sheet is now capable of automatically pulling character stats from the wiki, for inactive or active player characters. This means I don't have to spend forever making updates and changes!

List of character classes:
  • DRIFTER: Focuses on as many weapon skills as possible (sans Exotics).
  • GLADIATOR: Focuses on melee, quick strikes, and survivability.
  • SOLDIER: Focuses on front-lining and packing as many guns as possible.
  • COMBAT DOC: Focuses on survivability and healing allies on the field.
  • SCIENTIST: Focuses on looting, very intelligent, likes taking samples.
  • PSI ADEPT: Focuses on dodging and PSI Ability as damage-dealer.
  • PILOT: Focuses on everything ship-related and strongly prefers missiles.
  • STRATEGIST: Focuses on the long-term, getting as many skills as possible.
  • SAPPER: Focuses on being your squishy neighborhood mechanic.
  • ARBITER: Focuses on charisma and PSI Ability as combat support.
  • INFILTRATOR: Focuses on being stealthy and having many leveling choices.
  • HACKER: Focuses on hacking and staying the hell away from enemy fire.

Exotics
Rule changes for exotics. When someone first attempts to use a non-REKT weapon, they do a single roll based on their exotics skill. This roll equates to 1d6 + Exotics. The outcome determines how much of a penalty (or bonus) they get on their future rolls with that weapon.
  • Rolling a -1 gives a -6 penalty.
  • Rolling a +0 gives a -5 penalty.
  • Rolling a +1 gives a -4 penalty.
  • Rolling a +2 gives a -3 penalty.
  • Rolls of 3 or 4 give a -1 penalty.
  • Rolling a +5 equates to default rolls.
  • Rolling a 6 gives a +1 bonus.
  • Rolling a 7 gives a +2 bonus.
  • Rolling an 8 gives a +3 bonus.
  • Rolling a 9 gives a +4 bonus.
  • Rolling a 10 gives a +5 bonus.
  • Rolling an 11 gives a +7 bonus.
  • Rolling a 12 gives a +8 bonus.
The weapon then uses normal stats, with the permanent addition of the roll results according to the above table, capped at the user's own natural exotics skill. As an example: Say someone finds an alien laser gun and they already have +2 conventional, as well as +2 exotics. Trying to use the alien gun, they do an exotics roll of 6 (which would result in a +1). This +1 would bump their conventional skill using the alien gun up to +3, but the +2 exotics caps it at +2, meaning that if they already have +2 to conventional, they will not be able to get past +2. However, if their conventional skill is at -2, then the exotics would give it the full +3 boost, bumping it up to +1.

These values do not reset between missions, but can change if the player's exotics skill changes, giving a +1 boost to each level of exotics gained.

On average, the skill boost for each level of Exotics would be roughly (rounded):
  • -2 Exotics means -3 to using enemy weapons.
  • -1 Exotics means -2 to using enemy weapons.
  • +0 Exotics means -1 to using enemy weapons.
  • +1 Exotics means no penalty to using enemy weapons.
  • +2 Exotics means a +1 bonus
  • +3 Exotics means a +2 bonus
  • +4 Exotics means a +3 bonus
  • +5 Exotics means a +4 bonus
  • +6 Exotics means a +5 bonus
Thus, most of the time, you'll be relying at least somewhat on your innate skills with forms of weaponry, but with high enough exotics you can intuitively understand how to use weapons you are not normally inclined to use. Not only that, but high enough skills with a particular weapon type can override poor exotics skill, especially if your Exotics skill is only at -1 or 0.

Also, you have robotics twice (second one should be auxiliary)
Also
Talvieno wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:51 pm
Wrist-mounted scythe now priced at 500 creds; now lacks the +1 bonus of other melee robotics
It lacks the what now?

Edit:
also also:
Talvieno wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:51 pm
Exotics
... Not only that, but high enough skills with a particular weapon type can override poor exotics skill, especially if your Exotics skill is only at -1 or 0.
This is not true, unless with "capped at the user's own natural exotics skill" you mean "capped at the user's own natural exotics skill or his innate ability to use said weapon, whichever is higher". The way you wrote it you can't have more than a -1 at using a weapon with -1 exotic, no matter how good you are at using weapons of said type. At least, that's how I'd interpret what you wrote.

Dinosawer wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:39 am
This is not true, unless with "capped at the user's own natural exotics skill" you mean "capped at the user's own natural exotics skill or his innate ability to use said weapon, whichever is higher". The way you wrote it you can't have more than a -1 at using a weapon with -1 exotic, no matter how good you are at using weapons of said type. At least, that's how I'd interpret what you wrote.
To clarify, here's some examples:

1: Have character. Let's say character has -1 Exotics, but a +2 in energy and a +2 in conventional.
2. You find an alien gun that looks cool. It should use conventional.
3: Do the roll to see how well you can figure it out. Let's say you roll a 4 on the die. This equates to a -1 penalty.
4: The weapon would normally roll as +2, but your roll subtracts one, so you have -1 to using that weapon. You now roll +1.
You're usually good at using guns, but this alien gun is a little strange to you. You're not entirely sure what to make of it, but you're good enough with guns to (mostly) figure it out.

1. Have character. Character has +2 exotics, but a -2 in energy and conventional.
3. Do the roll to see how well you can figure it out. Let's say you roll a 6 on the die. This equates to a +3 bonus.
4. The weapon would normally roll as -2, but now it rolls as +1.
You're usually terrible at using guns, but this alien gun just makes sense to you. What a relief to finally find a weapon you can fire! It's a shame Tartarus doesn't make them like this.

1. Have character. Character has +2 exotics, and a +1 in energy and conventional.
3. Do the roll to see how well you can figure it out. Let's say you roll a 5 on the die. This equates to a +2 bonus.
4. Your exotics roll adds only a +1 bonus to using the weapon, because the exotics bonus can only add up to the cap of itself. This gives you a +2 ability at using the weapon.
You're good at using guns, but the fact that this is an alien gun, and you've studied alien stuff a lot, makes it make more sense to you than usual.

1. Have character. Character has +1 exotics, and a +2 in energy and conventional.
3. Do the roll to see how well you can figure it out. Let's say you roll a 5 on the die. This equates to a +1 bonus.
4. Your exotics roll will do exactly nothing, because your base value is already +2, and that's higher than your exotics skill. You will have a +2 ability at using the weapon.
Alien or not, it's a gun. You'll use it like any other.

1: Have character. Let's say character has -2 Exotics, but a +2 in energy and a +2 in conventional.
3: Do the roll to see how well you can figure it out. Let's say you roll a 4 on the die. This equates to a -3 penalty.
4: The weapon would normally roll as +2, but your roll subtracts three, so you have -3 to using that weapon. You now roll -1.
Guns usually make sense to you, but you can't make heads or tails of this one. Why did those aliens have to make it so weird? You can't comprehend it.

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:19 pm
1: Have character. Let's say character has -1 Exotics, but a +2 in energy and a +2 in conventional.
3: Do the roll to see how well you can figure it out. Let's say you roll a 4 on the die. This equates to a -1 penalty.
4: The weapon would normally roll as +2, but your roll subtracts one, so you have -1 to using that weapon. You now roll +1.
You're usually good at using guns, but this alien gun is a little strange to you. You're not entirely sure what to make of it, but you're good enough with guns to (mostly) figure it out.
I understand now that that is what you mean, but that is not what you wrote in the rules.
The weapon then uses normal stats, with the permanent addition of the roll results according to the above table, capped at the user's own natural exotics skill.
Your own natural exotics skill is -1, therefore you don't have a +1 but a -1.

Online Now