Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Friday, August 17, 2018

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:43 am
Hyperion wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:58 pm
Well I know Tal is valiantly trying to get him to communicate with us, that it's not working is worrying. Josh should know by now we don't need anything fancy just a quick few notes, maybe a pic or two.

If he's showboating, just say it will be worth the wait. If things aren't going as planned, we also want to know. This shouldn't be like pulling teeth.

Let no one say the LT community feels Josh can do no wrong... As some communities are known to. :shifty:
Yeah, I've been poking him to make a post for a while now. I'm not actually sure at all what's causing the lag in communication, but I'm trying to get him to post something, somewhere, ASAP. It would hurt him (and us) for him to fall back into the old habits of silence.

He was working on a Kickstarter post. That was... two weeks ago, I think. I'm not sure what happened with that, or what happened with this.
I see Josh has gone dark for a bit again. No need to write another book on the issue, but I would like to stress the point that the entire community, as far as I can tell unanimously, echoes. Both frequent and non-frequent posters wonder why the responsibilities of communicating aren't given to you, Tal. Not that you need more responsibilities or that Josh does a bad job provided he gets around to it. But instead as a way to, hopefully, stop this from happening. The community doesn't ask for much considering what the fans of this idea have put up with and continued to believe in what Josh is making. Just making the point, for the thousandth time.

Hyperion brings up a great point too. It's impressive how long many of the people have stayed around and how amicable the attitude around the forums are. All in spite of easily being able to write this game off as dead in 2015, and many did.

But I think something is in order that I have done in all too small of an amount, praise! The past few months since my last post have been promising and very exciting. And while I am not going to claim that I understand all the coding jargon it's nice to see progress flooding in on a consistent basis. That we can see. Though, if I am honest, it's difficult to make myself believe we are much farther than what we saw in 'Limit Theory Development Update #21' which was almost four years ago, time sure flies. Now I am not saying we aren't, I know that we are. Just cautious optimism I suppose.

Also, Tal, do you have any plans on doing your summaries for Josh's post again?
Last edited by Forsaken on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:24 am
Forsaken wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:07 am
Also, Tal, do you have any plans on doing your summaries for Josh's post again?
People haven't requested them for a while, but I'd gladly start back with them if they're wanted again.
Oh, that's unfortunate. I enjoyed them. Quick bites to summarize the long posts without having to delve into the minutiae. They were great. I hope you get more requests in that case.

Forsaken wrote:
Both frequent and non-frequent posters wonder why the responsibilities of communicating aren't given to you, Tal. Not that you need more responsibilities or that Josh does a bad job.
Somehow, I think I do not agree.

First Josh is doing a bad job at communication.

But to the main point: Talv is not sitting on Josh’s lap. With all his qualities, he can communicate as much as he wants, if it does not come ultimately come from Josh, it won’t do as Devlog.
This would of course work if for example they have a biweekly phone call and Talv formulate the content; but I fear Josh will not be able to make the phone calls. He will find excuses to postpone. Not answer the phone.

Sorry, but I guess when it goes on communication strategy, Josh need a baby-sitter. Not a coach or somebody helping him format the message.

While it is fully ok to have weak points, it is a pity to see that Josh seem not capable to learn to cope with them. And I think that even Talv cannot help somebody who does not help himself.

Josh does need to talk more. I really don't know why he hasn't posted yet. He was supposed to. :P It's been over a month - over four months with the KS updates. That's too long. People are worried in both places, and I don't really have anything to tell anyone because... well, I haven't heard from him about the "why" either. I'm continuing to poke him, though. Today's when I send in my monthly report, so I may be able to get him to respond. If I hear back from him, I'll let everyone know first thing.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

CSE wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:44 pm
Forsaken wrote:
Both frequent and non-frequent posters wonder why the responsibilities of communicating aren't given to you, Tal. Not that you need more responsibilities or that Josh does a bad job.
Somehow, I think I do not agree.

First Josh is doing a bad job at communication.
You seemed to have misunderstood, and that's my fault. I should have been more clear. I meant 'when Josh gets around to communicating he does an excellent job at it'. When he does, which is the entire reason why I brought up the idea that's been floating around forever again in the first place. I thought the context of that paragraph would be enough but it seems it wasn't. :oops:

I have no aversion to telling Josh how bad he is at communicating with this community, but I've done that to death.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6459&p=161412#p161412

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6459&p=161438#p161438

Editted the post for clarity! :lol:

Xyloq wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:26 am
In late 2013 Limit Theory´s concept was realy appealing and it is to this day, but with the release of X4: Foundation later this year there might be a similar enough competitor on the horizon.

I'm here because im curious if LT ever gets gold status....

56 months over time and counting....
This was my concern over two years ago, that LT would either have strong competitors or be technologically obsolete by the time it was released. I think it's time to release the game in Early Access. I was optimistic when Josh had other people helping him with the game, but now that he no longer has that help it appears that he's reverted to some bad habits. I think an Early Access release would give him more community accountability and would satiate desires of many people to simply have a copy in their hands. Surely after a half decade of development he has something that is releasable. If his goal is to have the game be perfect upon release, the game will never be released. No game has ever been perfect, technically or from the gameplay perspective.

Looks like it's time again to note that we can talk about schedules and feature lists and Early Access and communication with fans all we want, and it all means precisely diddly-squat because we aren't the target audience for Limit Theory.

Behold once more the words of Josh Himself from Feb. 28, 2014:

JoshParnell wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:16 pm
At the end of the day I'm not concerned if people don't see the potential right now. It's still in development, these are development updates, not release trailers. I speak a bit about this for a minute or so at the end of #14. But ultimately it seems people forget that I am making this game, first and foremost, because I want to play the ultimate space sim!! Not for money, not to fulfill KS, not for any other reason than for the fact that I so desperately want that Freelancer 2 / EVE hybrid of which I always dreamed.

So that being said, I understand if people are concerned about current lack of gameplay. Lack of visible content is characteristic of a procedural methodology. But to be concerned about the gameplay that will make it to final release? Absurd! The first and perhaps hardest test that Limit Theory must pass before being released is my own....! :D

I think I'm safe in asserting that Josh isn't at all concerned about what other space games might do. He's not competing with them. So whether they get released or not, whether a thousand space games launch before Limit Theory is released, is completely irrelevant. PR is irrelevant. Hype is irrelevant. Sales are irrelevant. Our wishes for features or beta are irrelevant. None of that drives any part of LT's development or release date.

The only thing that matters is when Josh is satisfied that Limit Theory feels fun for him to play. Then, and only then, will he release it so that we also can enjoy this game whose promise brought us here and has kept some of us here.

Online Now