Silverware wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:15 pm
JoshParnell wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:34 pm
Oh no! I will water the Tal :3
Unf?
Josh still comes in waves.

;)
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can
Re: [Josh] Friday, July 13, 2018

JoshParnell wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:34 pm
Hyperion wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:59 pm
Also, Talk to Tal more. He's been glum about the lack of intimacy between you guys recently.

Oh no! I will water the Tal :3
i only get half the inside jokes but " Oh no! I will water the Tal" had me laughing.
More people want exploding kittens than exploding ships. Somehow, this makes me happy.
- credits go to dwmagus

@Talvieno Thanks for posting the log.

@Josh I don't post much but I thought it might cheer you up to know what you've done - it happens to big software houses too. I work for a company which has employs several hundred software engineers building pretty complex software.

Recently we needed to rework a particular area. Several approaches were suggested and small teams went off to prototype stuff. A couple of solutions stuck out, and one was deemed optimal. About a dozen people people worked on it, and... it just didn't scale up as expected. The sprint was basically a write off, and we ended up implementing the other idea which scaled much better. Lessons were learnt, and senior management just had to accept that sometimes, to be the best, you end up going down the wrong path. Being the best isn't about getting it right first time every time, it's about being willing to throw away your sub-optimal first try and starting over if and when that is the right idea.

Basically, welcome to the "aah, balls, that was a costly mistake" club. Even big software teams do that sometimes.

Triscopic wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:34 pm
Recently we needed to rework a particular area. Several approaches were suggested and small teams went off to prototype stuff. A couple of solutions stuck out, and one was deemed optimal. About a dozen people people worked on it, and... it just didn't scale up as expected. The sprint was basically a write off, and we ended up implementing the other idea which scaled much better. Lessons were learnt, and senior management just had to accept that sometimes, to be the best, you end up going down the wrong path. Being the best isn't about getting it right first time every time, it's about being willing to throw away your sub-optimal first try and starting over if and when that is the right idea.

The other advice from Fred Brooks also remains pertinent: "Build the first one to throw away -- you will, anyway."

Online Now