Return to “Polls”

What should be Josh's next project after LT?

Computational optimization
Total votes: 1 (4%)
New text-based programming/scripting language
New visual-metaphor programming system
New DevOps pipeline for software development and maintenance
(No votes)
New general engine for highly-systemic games
New game: MorrowJosh (open-world fantasy RPG)
Total votes: 9 (38%)
New game: Living World (highly-systemic world-simulation RPG)
New game: Other
(No votes)
Just support/expand Limit Theory forever
Total votes: 3 (13%)
Other
Total votes: 7 (29%)
Total votes: 24
Josh's Next Project

I saw a Tweet today from Tim Sweeney on computational optimization that sounded to me like something Josh might enjoy.

But that got me thinking: totally separate from what Josh decides to do, what -- if you had the power to allocate his time post-LT -- would you like to see him work on?

This is just a starter post; if there are some obvious ideas I missed, I'll re-build the poll options.

Also, important note: this poll is for amusement purposes only, not to apply any form of pressure on Josh. So please don't go there.
Re: Josh's Next Project

I personally think his next project should be to finish his degree in university, or perhaps to get a « formal » position in a software engineering company.
I think this would help him getting structure and project management skills; today, I personally have not yet the impression that he can lead a project and deliver on time and budget. And he cannot plan his whole life with no salary during years waiting for a possible new game release N years down the road.

I am old and conservative. ;)

I think Josh should work with a company developing cutting edge tools for improving the user experience on the PC. From overhauling Windows 10 GUI to making notepad look like a 2400 era command interface. Let flow the nodal interface as you browse your computer for items of particular file names. Edit the feel of the interface to fit your personal needs, and feel like you are living in the future.

BFett wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:51 am
I think Josh should work with a company developing cutting edge tools for improving the user experience on the PC. From overhauling Windows 10 GUI to making notepad look like a 2400 era command interface. Let flow the nodal interface as you browse your computer for items of particular file names. Edit the feel of the interface to fit your personal needs, and feel like you are living in the future.
This sounds amazing
A life well lived only happens once.
Seems deep until you think about it.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 am
God i still dont get you guys' excitement with the nodal interface stuff.
Yeah, it looks cool.
But for handling lists its hell, and most stuff i do on my computer is handling lists
I agree with Corno, for any meaningful interaction it's useless. It may be somewhat useful to display deep objects like Goatbot's Global Goat object, but in any real circumstances (let's face it Goatbot is a mess of an "architecture") there is no call for a nodal interface.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I certainly wouldn't waste time trying to change the mind of someone who has decided that an embryonic tech is completely useless.

But I look at this:

and I see what might become a tool with some utility for visually exploring large, complex datasets to reveal interesting/useful patterns.

Could I be wrong about that? Sure.

What's a good way to find out?

How often do you actually need that capability?

I havent said its useless, but its very far from an "ohmygosh its awesome! the be-all end-all interface solution!"

(And when i have large datasets the interesting structures are hidden in the values, not in the layout of those values)

And i very much don't need it as a layout for my operating system, because there im handling lists [of lists of lists]. For which its very much unsuitable

Like I said, I could use this for Goatbot, but I seldom see datasets that are as... overly complicated as Goatbot has gotten.
Goatbot, after all, was designed to break particular rules around separation of concerns and around data hierarchies.
Mostly because I couldn't be bothered thinking my way around the correct methods at the time he was first written.

Datasets that might make use of this are such like, filesystem architectures. And this structure was around LONG before Limit Theory stumbled onto it.
If you don't believe me, have a look at almost any codebase update visualization, the one I am thinking of in particular is the codebase for EVE Online.
Eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJUiCHdmCc
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

I voted for Morrowjosh. :D Of course I did. That's something else that's enthralled me since I saw it mentioned. I'd love for Josh to be able to do something like that. I'd probably follow along after him and "be all passionate" about that project and community too.

Not sure how I'll adapt REKT for a fantasy setting, though... :lol:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:04 pm
0111narwhalz wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:06 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:08 pm
Not sure how I'll adapt REKT for a fantasy setting, though... :lol:
You mean it's not already fantastical? :o
:ghost:
Not by a long shot. :lol:
Tal, REKT, at best, is Science Fantasy. It has space magic!
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Not really. In story, you're seeing the direct effect of universes with laws of physics differing from our own. More specifically, there are spacetime bubbles where the laws of alternate universes protrude into our own via different materials taken from those universes (and said spacetime bubbles can also be manufactured through certain high-energy processes). Not really "magic" at all - not perhaps hard sci-fi, but not remotely fantasy. If that's "at best science fantasy", then so are Mass Effect, Star Trek, and Firefly. :lol: Are they fantasy too?
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now