Return to “REKT”

Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#721
cuisinart8 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:01 pm
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:39 am
"Caleb, Gearhead, how are things going there?"
"Poorly! Very poorly! I think those bastards killed Gearhead! If you guys are done in there and think you can shoot down some ships, come on out here and help, please! I can't do this by myself!"
"Oh masc prátaí masóirí... Okay, I'm coming, I never wanted to fight these idiots anyway. I'm taking my casket, cover me!"
(( continued actions from above ))
I throw a warp bubble in the empty space between me and the last armed squid (but not around an ally) that covers my exit path (insofar possible) and run outside towards the exit of the nacelle.
There, I look outside if the coast is clear, and if it is, I run towards my casket, get it and lift off.
I try to open a comm channel to the Hiltorel ship
"Hello? We are here solely on a recovery mission and have no intention of actually fighting, but if you keep attacking we will keep defending us. Please stop."

(( not gonna work, I know ))
If they refuse to stop attacking, I fire bubbles at the remaining fighter, and dodge incoming fire.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#722
Urgh... that was close. Damn bastard thinks e can get me with an oversized laser pointer. After breaking my toys. Big Mistake.

"Guys, im somewhat fine. At least not dead as far as i can tell. Unless the universe is playing a cruel joke on me and this is actually some form of Hell."

"Im going to throw up some dust to cover myself while getting to the other flak gun. My measly amps wont do anything to the fighters."

use my grav amp to lower gravity for me (to something 0.5-0.75 ish g) and "run" in low, long skips into cover behind the hiltorel flyer next to caleb.
throw up a dust wall between me and the intact, unmanned, AA gun
repeat the grav amp+ running thing to get to the AA gun
Shoot the damn frakker down with the AA gun. ((using however many shots as im still allowed to do))
scream madly while firing
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#724
TURN 22

Map:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image

Image
Time: Running out


Squad Alpha:
Vynkor
Spoiler:      SHOW
0111narwhalz wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:28 pm
"That was clearly just a flash grenade." I try to lift my hand to my head, but my left arm doesn't respond. "Shit, my arm's dead. Gene, Brom, could I borrow one of your pistols 'til I get it working again?"
0111narwhalz wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am
Hema wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:06 pm
"Seriously? Another injury to that arm? What do you have in there, a magnet?
"Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe left is just an accursed direction?"
Hema wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:06 pm
Fine, you can have it! But I want it back when you're done, and there had better not be a scratch on it!"
"No promises. Hey, don't forget to leave a couple of extra magazines."
Hema wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:06 pm
If someone could tape up my suit while we wait on Buck
"If it's tape you want, you know where to find it."

I put my lasgun down.
I examine my arm to see what's wrong with it and whether it's operable in the field.
When Brom comes over to give me his pistol, I patch his suit using my aid kit, fortified by duct tape as appropriate.
After the gravgun event:
I follow the rest of the squad, trailing by a few meters and travelling from cover to cover.
I fire no more than three times at any remaining hostiles.
At the end of the turn: If I've fired, I reload.
You're in a lot of pain - more than you think you know how to deal with. Things are a bit hazy, you have a headache, and it's difficult to concentrate. For now, you decide to drop your lasgun on the ground beside you and take a look at your arm.

As soon as you catch sight of it, you know you're in really deep shit. There's a huge chunk missing, and the suit has peeled away from it. A lot of the nerves have clearly been severed, and you're ... bleeding. Again. For a moment you're panicked - shouldn't the coagulant boosters still be in effect? They should be, right? It's not been that long - maybe fifteen, twenty minutes at the most... But you're bleeding. And for someone that's barely conscious, that's a very, very bad thing.

Brom comes over and hands you his pistol. "I want it back when you're done, and there'd better not be so much as a scratch on it!" He sounds distant. You sway, blinking through the tunnel vision and trying to breathe; you feel no sensation in your right arm as you take the pistol. Get it together, Vynkor, you whisper to yourself. Actually - you're not sure if you whispered it, or if it was in your head. Things are... hazy.

You hear a voice - Gene's - muffled like a fog. "Vynkor, I could probably patch up your arm wound so it's at least working - my own medical incompetence notwithstanding, of course." And so, Gene gets to work on your arm wound. While he does that, you work on patching up Brom's suit. It isn't long before you've finished stitching up the slash in his chest (with duct tape) - a great gaping wound it was, but he ought to at least make it back to the Nemesis, where a better doctor can take care of him.

"Good as new," Gene finally tells you. You're starting to feel a bit better. "Thanks, Gene," you say, giving him a nod. He gives a short friendly salute and packs up his gear, looking your lasgun over - his newest swapped acquisition. You look over the pistol. It's a decent make - only three chambers, but the caliber is quite high. You feel like it could punch a hole through just about anything short of heavy armor. Not a bad call, switching to this. Your arm's in a sling, but you should be able to hold this one-handed. You'll just do what you've always done - slog through the pain and get stuff done. Oddly though, you're not feeling nearly as much. Gene did a good job.

Meanwhile, Buck has fired off his gravgun, creating a new mess of debris and clutter in the area ahead of you - and he even managed to pull down an entire tree, too, and kill one of the three enemies trying to attack you. The other two are fleeing back into the center of the complex; you fire after them with your pistol as you get into position behind a rock - one of your shots actually hits one of them in the shoulder, prompting a trickle of bright-blue blood; he spasms and falls out of view behind half-cover. "We ready to move?" you ask, as you reload Brom's pistol.

Brom nods solemnly. "On my mark, we'll move forwards and get rid of those pests. Then we can secure the stellaplex and get out of here."

You get ready.



Buck
Spoiler:      SHOW
Hapchazzard wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:38 pm
"I told y'all NOT TO LOOK AT 'EM, and now who knows what the hell kind o' squid sorcery they threw at you! Quick, kill 'em all before they do anything else! And I swear, if any of ya start growing tentacles, I'm runnin' back to my ship, nukin' this stupid establishment and callin' it a day."
Hapchazzard wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:00 pm
((Your gravgun has indeed recharged.))
((Nice!))

"Well, why are y'all so sure that the grenade wasn't enchanted by some kind o' squid-magic sorcery either? Trust me, them squids are much more devious than y'all think! I wouldn't be surprised if that 'flashbang' wasn't just some kind o' optical illusion designed to distract us! Anyways, they're done botherin' us."

Attempts to menacingly cock his gravgun

"Step aside! Time to get this shit over with!"

Wait for my allies to get out of my gravgun's harm's way
Aim my gravgun so that the projectile passes roughly through the center of the room, so that I catch as many squids as possible in it's AOE
if there is no great risk to me or my allies if I fire the gravgun, fire it
Get back in cover if I was forced to leave it
if at any point a squid dares charge us, quickly take my baton and smack it (max times limited by skill)
(From this point onward, I won't put "don't look squids in the eyes" in my actions anymore since Tal can assume that I'm reflexively doing that always (for better or for worse, i.e. I'll be doing it even if it might get me in trouble/get me roll penalties)
((I'll remember the not-looking-squids-in-the-eyes thing :) ))

"I TOLD Y'ALL NOT TO LOOK AT 'EM," you roar, "and now WHO KNOWS what the hell kind o' squid sorcery they threw at you! Quick, kill em ALL before they do anything else. And I swear - if any of ya start growin' tentacles, I'm runnin' back to my ship, NUKIN' this STUPID ESTABLISHMENT, and callin' it a day."

"It was just a flash grenade," Vynkor says, clearly in a great deal of pain.

You're skeptical. "Why are y'all so sure that the grenade wasn't enchanted by some kind o' squid-magic sorcery either? Trust me, them squids are much more devious than y'all think! I wouldn't be surprised if that 'flashbang' wasn't just some kind o' optical illusion designed to distract us! ...Anyway, they're done botherin' us now." You menacingly hoist your gravgun from behind your back as you speak. "Alright, fellas, step aside! Time to get this shit over with!"

You step forwards. As soon as your allies are out of harm's way... you squeeze the firing levers. Immediately, the powerful weapon begins to whirr and shake as something inside it begins to rapidly oscillate just as before - the coils on the right begin to glow almost red-hot as the whirr escalates to a scream, and then, with a short burst of recoil, another black, swirling sphere belches forth from its barrel. It manages to pick up one of the dead squids as it goes, and pulls coils of water from the streams - dead leaves and twigs from the bushes, and even parts off of trees - moss, dirt, a few discarded weapons - and then you see it pull both the remaining hiltorel out of cover, shouting, into its spiraling core, as it goes off toward the far wall - and it explodes, tossing dust, debris, tiles, mud - and hiltorel body parts - in all directions. By this point, you're back in cover behind a rock, but you still have a fairly clear view of the devastation it leaves in its wake - you think it's also severely injured the squids, too - one of them is screaming in agony, and the other is shouting in their monstrous squidy language. They make a hurried but incredibly messy retreat over to the left.

You'd call that a win.


Frank
Spoiler:      SHOW
F4wk35 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:05 am
Buck wrote:
"Well, why are y'all so sure that the grenade wasn't enchanted by some kind o' squid-magic sorcery either? Trust me, them squids are much more devious than y'all think! I wouldn't be surprised if that 'flashbang' wasn't just some kind o' optical illusion designed to distract us! Anyways, they're done botherin' us."
*groan*

Cryo was not gentle on him....

*Sarcastic snarking*
"That's easy, Buck! Because I had lessons by many mighty wizards and am fully capable to protect us from such petty curses even without a staff! So fear not."

Scramble back into cover out of the GravGun's area of influence
Keep the head down until after the GravGun was fired
If squids are gone
-get my Stellaplex-harness
-pick up the meelee-weapon Brom was attacked with and look it over (see if I can use it)
-"Much as I'd prefer a staff or something...better to have something usable at hand..."
-strap it to my backpack
-move back into the stream into the greenery in the corner and take a peek to the left side of the room
If another grenade comes flying
-get hell away into better cover! D:
If squids or drakehounds are spotted
-get into cover
-shoot hostile, armed squid or drakes with tranqus (2 max for the turn)
You scramble back into cover, getting out of the way of Buck so he can fire the gravity gun. Buck shouts he's firing, and you keep your head down, just in case something gets flung at you.

Buck's gravity gun makes its trademwark whirr, which escalates quickly to a screech, and there's a roar of noise as it launches a powerful gravity projectile forwards, pulling debris towards its darkened core - dirt, tiles, water from the stream - blood - and it catches two of the squids up in its gravity well. After it explodes against the far wall, you hear one of them screaming in pain, and the other one shouting.

As they move to retreat, you get into cover behind a rock and launch a tranquilizer dart. With a shot that manages to amaze even yourself, you manage to nail one of them in the back of their head-tentacles from all the way across the building. It's not much of a crossbow, but it gets the job done when it's necessary. That's one more squid likely to be down in short order.

Unfortunately, it seems one of your own is also down - Vynkor isn't responding to anyone.

Letting the others take care of ol' Vynkie, you pick up your stellaplex harness and amble over to the sword that the dead squid dropped, and pick it up. It's a regular old sword, but there's a number of buttons on the handle you can't make heads or tails of. It's a pretty wide handle, actually - you wonder if it's more than just a sword. "Much as I'd prefer a staff or something... better to have something usable at hand," you say, strapping it to your backpack. Then you wander over to the stream, splashing through the shallow bed, and, stooping under the low-hanging branches, move to where Brom shot one of the squids in the face. The corpse is gone - likely picked up by Buck's gravity gun - but there's a nice film of bluish blood smeared about the nearby rocks and bushes. Avoiding what you can, you take a peek toward the center of the complex. While you're not in a particularly good position for this, you can see a lot of computer equipment, but it's not immediately obvious what all of it is for.

Gene
Spoiler:      SHOW
TotallyNotHuman wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:21 am
"Brom, I'd be willing to lend you my machine pistol while Vynkor's got your sidearm. Be mindful, though - she kicks hard when you pull the trigger.
As for your arm wound, Vynkor, I could probably patch it up so it's at least working - my own medical incompetence notwithstanding, of course."

Offer my machine pistol to Brom, ensuring that it is loaded and ready for fire. If he declines, mutter something under my breath and holster the weapon,
then attempt to treat Vynkor's arm injuries.
Following that, draw and load my shotgun and take cover behind Buck's position as he fires the gravgun.
Once the gravgun has been fired, tail Brom carefully and fire no more than two shots at any hostiles.
Reload at the end of the turn if I've fired.
You hold out your machine pistol to Brom for him to take, but he completely ignores you; he's too busy doing his regular "rousing speech" and "giving of commands". Eventually he finishes, at least, and takes it from you impatiently - as though you hadn't been waiting to give it to him that entire time. You shrug head over to treat Vynkor's arm injuries.

Vynkor's arm is bleeding. Didn't she use a coagulant? You suppose... perhaps coagulants don't work instantly on open wounds. That rather makes sense. It takes a bit for them to kick in enough to heal a wound after you inject one, so it stands to reason that it'd take a bit for them to kick in on a new wound. However, this presents you with a fairly difficult problem: Vynkor's life is in danger. She's moving, trying to patch up Brom's chest - but she barely seems aware of her surroundings. In short...

Shit's bad, yo.

"Vynkor, I should probably patch up your arm wound so it's at least working," you say, approaching her as you ready your (very limited!) medical supplies. "My own medical incompetence notwithstanding, of course." You pull out some gauze, bandages... electrical tape... anything and everything to give Vynkor a fighting chance at survival, but you have to be honest - it looks hella grim. Her left arm is completely useless. She's trying to tape on bandages with duct tape one-armed, and her left arm... well, it's practically trickling blood. You clamp down on the wound with one hand, bloodying your suit further, and try to staunch the flow with a bandage tied tightly around the top of her shoulder...

...and the girl gives a short, muffled yelp of pain, falling forwards into your arms, unconscious. "Shit," you mutter under your breath.

The best you can do is tie off the wound, pack it with gauze, and hope you can make it back home before she actually dies of blood loss. The coagulants are kicking in - the wound's bleeding is already almost back to normal - but without a blood transfusion, Vynkor is done for.

You slump her body up against a rock and get behind cover yourself, loading your shotgun and taking cover behind Buck's position. He already fired the gravgun, and the squids retreated... But where do you go from here?


Naturally, this is exactly when you think you hear something coming from behind you - back in the direction of the ships. This is not your day.



Brom
Spoiler:      SHOW
Hema wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:06 pm
Hapchazzard wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:38 pm
"I told y'all NOT TO LOOK AT 'EM, and now who knows what the hell kind o' squid sorcery they threw at you! Quick, kill 'em all before they do anything else! And I swear, if any of ya start growing tentacles, I'm runnin' back to my ship, nukin' this stupid establishment and callin' it a day."
"It's a simple flash grenade, Buck. You of all people should know that.
You did manage to make yourself useful however and prevent some of us from being killed, so I'll let it slide.
I expect better behavior from one who claims to have been a general in the past though."
0111narwhalz wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:28 pm
"Shit, my arm's dead. Gene, Brom, could I borrow one of your pistols 'til I get it working again?"
"Seriously? Another injury to that arm? What do you have in there, a magnet?
Fine, you can have it! But I want it back when you're done, and there had better not be a scratch on it!"
TotallyNotHuman wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:21 am
"Brom, I'd be willing to lend you my machine pistol while Vynkor's got your sidearm. Be mindful, though - she kicks hard when you pull the trigger.
"Thank you, Gene. I really didn't want to go without my shield.
If enemy numbers allow, it'll have dozens of kills by the end of the mission. I've had just about all I can stand of these morons.
By the way, you may want to hold onto Vynka's Lasgun if she's unable to fix up her shield arm."

"Now if we're all finished rubbing our eyes and being embarrassments in general, we can get back to work!
They've been given a chance to surrender and they refused, so we'll not be holding anything back!
Buck, you're the only one capable of flushing them out of cover, so it's time to charge up your grav gun.
We're going to make it look like a fighter flew through here.
While you do that, I'll give Vynka my pistol since she's so fond of using that arm as a shield.
*grasp chest painfully* *Cough*
If we've got time, those injured can get patched up. Those freaks got me in the chest, so I may need some tending to of my own.
But patched up or not, as soon as Buck's projectile explodes we're moving in!"

"Buck! Move forwards and splatter those slimy bastards!
Everyone else move back in the meantime! Vynka, I'm coming to you!
If someone could tape up my suit while we wait on Buck, I'd appreciate it.
Get in position and be ready to charge after Buck fires!!"

Accept Gene's machine pistol when it's offered, then run back to Vynka and hand her my semiauto pistol.
If she tries to treat my injuries, give her the time she needs to do so.
Once Vynka is finished, pull out Gene's machine pistol and my shield, and wait in cover behind Buck.

((For use if Buck's attack kills the remaining squids))
Should the remaining enemies be eliminated, I will cautiously make my way to the back of the building.
If I'm either attacked or I spot an enemy, I'll get into cover and then fire off a burst at the most visible of the available hostiles.
If there are more targets after the first burst, I will reload and attack in the same manner. I will do this no more than three times (for a total of four shots)
If all hostiles are eliminated, I will continue onward towards the back of the complex (and once again get into cover if I sense danger.)

((For use if Buck fails to wipe out the squids))
Should anything survive Buck's assault, I will stay in cover and fire a burst at the most visible hostile available.
If the target fails to go down or there are more, I will reload and fire again in the same manner. I will do this no more than three times (for a total of four).
Only when everything is dead will I proceed to our objective.
You shout your orders, as you usually do - Buck is supposed to move forward and fire a blast from his gravity gun, Vynkor and Gene should patch everybody up, Frank... well, he can try not to land his CASKET on anybody, that would be nice. Meanwhile, the three of you - you, Vynka, Gene - are going to swap weapons.

Gene gives you his machine pistol, and then you go over to Vynka (who isn't looking that great) and give her your regular pistol. "I want it back when you're done, and there had better not be a scratch on it!" you tell her.

Vynkor nods, but says nothing. Then she takes out her first aid kit and starts looking at your chest, seeming a bit woozy. "I'll get you patched up," she says, swaying as she takes out some duct tape and weakly tries to rip off a strip. Meanwhile, Gene is trying to patch up her arm... which is going a lot better than her patching up her chest - at least, until the girl slumps into his arms, unconscious.

"Shit," Gene mutters under his breath.

At that moment, Buck's screeching weapon belches out another gravity projectile, which devastates the landscaping the squids erected in a wide swath towards the far end of the building - and it even manages to catch up two of the bastards with it. They all explode in a gloriously bloody mess on some computer equipment on the far walls. One of the squids screams in agony, one of them is injured and shouting what you can only assume are obscenities - it seems like all is going according to plan. While Frank tries to land a hit with a tranquilizer dart, you let off a series of rapid-fire sprays from Gene's machine pistol - which, while the rapid RATA-TAT is fairly inspiring, the accuracy is... somewhat less inspiring. You don't actually manage to hit anything - but then, the squids were already retreating and out of view before you even had a chance.



((Note to Alpha: Vynkor is unconscious. I decided to write it so she may actually think she's still awake. She will therefore experience a rather different sequence of events, which could prove interesting. I will of course do my best to kill her in the dream. :D ))





Squad Beta:
Ishmael
Spoiler:      SHOW
outlander wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 am
Run back into the room with squids,
Jump across the box on the right (helping me with my Gravity Amp, if necessary),
AND coil my lash tightly around the remaining squid, immobilising him.
IF successful, use my Charisma amp to force the complete surrender of the squids:


"Impertinent fools! Why do we have to care for your wretched, worthless, ungodly lives more than you do?! I assumed that not getting killed is pretty important to you! But it looks like you'd rather let yourselves wallow in ignorance than accept a honourable deal!

I give you one last chance - not out of weakness, for we have none, but out of mercy and decency in the eyes of our Lord. Bashing is not seen as an act of noodliness. Drop your weapons, and we shall allow you to leave. Refuse to do so, or betray us...well...The Ninja hath seen no mercy from the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and neither should you!"

IF the squid escapes somehow,
Fry him with my Electricity Amp.
As the drugs run through your veins, the pain in your face begins to dull. You're bleeding bad - you can feel it dripping down your neck - but at least you'll be able to keep going a little while longer.

You turn and run, quickly, past Saoirse and back into the room with Bob and the other squids; you utilize your gravity amp to powervault over the huge hazard-marked container to the right of the doorway, and before you've even landed, whip your lash out at the final foe - the one that started it all - coiling it tightly around him. He struggles, but can't break free.

"IMPERTINENT FOOL!" you roar, channeling your willpower into a massive blast from your charisma amp. "Why do WE have to care for your wretched, worthless, ungodly lives more than you do?! I assumed that not getting killed would be important to you, but it looks like you'd rather let yourself wallow in ignorance than accept an honorable deal!" The squid, mouth open, nods at you. He doesn't even seem to realize that nodding doesn't even make sense in the present situation. Rather, it seems like you've completely blinded him to coherent thought with your amp. A little too much force, perhaps. "I give you one last chance - not out of weakness, for we have none! - but out of mercy and decency in the eyes of our almighty Lord! Bashing is not seen as an act of noodliness! Drop your weapons, and we shall allow you to leave! Refuse to do so, or betray us -" You pause, and finish in a thunderous tone - "The Ninja hath seen no mercy from the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and neither should you!"

Without the slightest hint of resistance, you hear the sound of two weapons clattering to the floor.

You have their unconditional surrender. Not bad, for someone with a hole in his face.


Bob
Spoiler:      SHOW
Cha0zz wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:40 am
Try to move again

"Bob free."
"BOB FREE!"

Giggle, pick up Jimmy and give the squid I was attacking earlier a hug.

Remember who I'm hugging and put him back down and look wearily at him.
"Sorry for breaking arm, bob thought you kill Saoirse-Boss."

Take back my crowbar.

"No more fighting ok?"

when/if it looks like I'm going to be attacked:
- find cover
- fend off enemies with my crowbar (or fists if I don't have my crowbar, do not exceed attack limit)
You sob for a moment about your plight, but Saoirse soon catches sight of you and frees you from your prison. "Bob, you're supposed to stay outside of the shield," she chides. You fall to the floor, looking in amazement at your hands.

"Bob... free." It slowly dawns on you - all hope is not lost! You're free! You've escaped! Your life isn't ruined! "Bob free! BOB FREE!" you exult joyously, scooping up Jimmy off the floor with a laugh and giving the squid you attacked earlier a hug. Then you suddenly remember who you're hugging. Things get awkward in a jiffy. "Uh... oh," you say, putting him back down and patting him on the head. It's ... tentacle-y. You feel even more awkward, but are nevertheless quick to apologize anyway. "Sorry for breaking arm, Bob thought you kill Saoirse-boss."

The squid is still laughing, and pats you on the arm with two of his good ones. He still has three he can use. "Arima toraeng kheni hepa piqol, Tartarus saquyuma kalar."

You don't understand a word he says, but smile anyway - a nice big friendly one. "No more fighting, okay?"


Meanwhile, Ishmael is roaring about sinners and unbelievers, speaking the word of the prophet, and all that other jazz to try to calm down the squids so they don't hurt Saoirse anymore. You're really hoping it'll work out for the best.


Caleb
Spoiler:      SHOW
cuisinart8 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:01 pm
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:39 am
"Caleb, Gearhead, how are things going there?"
"Poorly! Very poorly! I think those bastards killed Gearhead! If you guys are done in there and think you can shoot down some ships, come on out here and help, please! I can't do this by myself!"

I run over to check on Gearhead, hoping fervently that he's still alive. If we just lost a man...and because of me...
You stare in mixture of shock and horror as the AA turret across from you explodes. The enemy fighter is simply hovering there - not even bothering to turn. It doesn't think you'll be able to hit it - and you know what? It's probably right. You don't care about that at all, though - your top concern is for Gearhead's safety.

"GEARHEAD!" you shout, leaping down from the control seat. "Saoirse, I think those bastards killed Gearhead! Get out here and help, please! I can't do this by myself!" Frantic, horrified, you start towards Gearhead's turret - just barely in time to avoid a massive explosion behind you, your own turret burning in a short-lived fireball. You feel the shockwave hit your back, see dust on the ground ruffle slightly as it goes past - but it all happens in your peripheral vision, because your sights are set on seeing if Gearhead is okay.

"Oh gods," you mumble, as your feet fly across the dusty earth, "If we just lost a man... because of me... Gearhead, please be okay..."


At that precise moment, none other than Gearhead himself dashes out from behind a ship near his turret. "I'm fine, Caleb!" he shouts at you. "At least not dead, as far as I can tell. Unless the universe is playing a cruel joke on me and this is actually some form of Hell." You relax slightly and slow your steps as Gearhead rushes past you, headed to the left side of the nacelle. "I'm going to throw up some dust to cover myself while getting to the other flak gun," he radios. "My measly amps won't do anything to the fighters."

"Yeah, good idea," you reply, looking about and wondering what you ought to be doing with your time. Perhaps...


But of course, you never get that far, as the world explodes beneath your feet.

~~~

"Caleb?"

It's your mother. The light from the kitchen window streams in from behind her; in the background the cityscape of Dashta. "Caleb, what are you doing home? I thought you left for the military."

You open your mouth to respond, but she interrupts you.

"Nevermind, Caleb - if you're here, you might as well sit down and have a bite to eat. I just cooked breakfast - it's your father's favorite!" She hurries to the table with a plate in each hand. "Hurry and eat - I have to leave for work in -" she checks the clock "- fifteen minutes. And that means you too," she adds, addressing your father.

You stand in the doorway. There's something you want to say, but saying it feels difficult.


((You're unconscious for the time being. You have some anti-shock meds on you, so someone should get you up and running again in short order.))


Gearhead
Spoiler:      SHOW
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:40 pm
Urgh... that was close. Damn bastard thinks e can get me with an oversized laser pointer. After breaking my toys. Big Mistake.

"Guys, im somewhat fine. At least not dead as far as i can tell. Unless the universe is playing a cruel joke on me and this is actually some form of Hell."

"Im going to throw up some dust to cover myself while getting to the other flak gun. My measly amps wont do anything to the fighters."

use my grav amp to lower gravity for me (to something 0.5-0.75 ish g) and "run" in low, long skips into cover behind the hiltorel flyer next to caleb.
throw up a dust wall between me and the intact, unmanned, AA gun
repeat the grav amp+ running thing to get to the AA gun
Shoot the damn frakker down with the AA gun. ((using however many shots as im still allowed to do))
scream madly while firing
"GEARHEAD!" Caleb shouts. You look out from around the corner and see him jumping down from the turret control seat. "Saoirse, I think those bastards killed Gearhead! Get out here and help, please! I can't do this by myself!" He's frantic and horrified, but you're busy trying to make your plan: you're going to get to the far AA gun and use it to knock down the last fighter. With this in mind, you burst out of cover, dashing across the wide-open area in front of the entrance, just as Caleb's turret explodes in a cloud of debris, plasma and short-lived fire.

Damn bastard thought he could get you with an oversized laser pointer... after breaking your toys. Big mistake. "Guys, I'm somewhat fine," you radio. "At least not dead as far as I can tell. Unless the universe is playing a cruel joke on me and this is actually some form of Hell. I'm going to throw up some dust to cover myself while getting to the other flak gun. My measly amps won't do anything to the fighters."

You rush past Caleb, who is looking at you in surprise, and toss yourself into cover behind one of the remaining scavenger ships, barely in time to avoid another fusillade of plasma. The podfighter seems to have figured out he doesn't need to make the same sweeping dodges with anyone at the turrets, and he's focusing his fire much more heavily. Your cover protects you from the brunt of the attack, but Caleb isn't so lucky - the ground beneath him explodes, tossing him into the air; he falls against a stack of crates, bloodied and motionless.

Fukcing meatbags.

Legitimately enraged now, you toss up a dust wall between you and the intact AA gun, and try to use your gravity amp to accelerate your sprint - it doesn't work, really. At best it tosses you into the air and sends you skidding along the ground, although to your suit's credit, it holds up well to this sort of wear and tear.

A laser cuts through the thick dust for a moment, but then reorients itself - Saoirse has lifted off into the sky in her CASKET, and the fighter seems to have refocused its attention on her instead. Hardly grateful for the distraction, you groan and pull yourself back to your feet, and move the rest of the way to the turret. That asshole is going to fukcing pay.

As soon as you reach your destination, you climb into the gunner's seat and turn to fire at the fighter - but it's got an eye on you, and nimbly dodges your potential attack, firing at you first - right into Saoirse's bubble stream. As it stutters, its shot goes wide, crashing to the ground around you - you hear yourself screaming madly as you focus and fire. Massive green bolts of plasma stream from the gun's barrels, crashing through the enemy fighter and splintering it with a sharp explosion. The smoking wreckage crumbles in pieces to the ground.


Damn straight. You let out one more warlike yell, just for the hell of it. Fukcing bastard deserved what he got and more.


Saoirse
Spoiler:      SHOW
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:39 am
Cha0zz wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 am
Uuuuuh Bob stuck.
Jimmy left Bob.
Bob sad now.
Bob-boss bad boss.
*sob*
looks sideways at what Bob has gotten himself into now
sighs internally

I dismiss the shield around Bob and his new Hiltorel friend
"Bob, you're supposed to stay outside of the shield..."

"Caleb, Gearhead, how are things going there?"

(( other actions to follow after discussion ))
Dinosawer wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:48 pm
cuisinart8 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:01 pm
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:39 am
"Caleb, Gearhead, how are things going there?"
"Poorly! Very poorly! I think those bastards killed Gearhead! If you guys are done in there and think you can shoot down some ships, come on out here and help, please! I can't do this by myself!"
"Oh masc prátaí masóirí... Okay, I'm coming, I never wanted to fight these idiots anyway. I'm taking my casket, cover me!"
(( continued actions from above ))
I throw a warp bubble in the empty space between me and the last armed squid (but not around an ally) that covers my exit path (insofar possible) and run outside towards the exit of the nacelle.
There, I look outside if the coast is clear, and if it is, I run towards my casket, get it and lift off.
I try to open a comm channel to the Hiltorel ship
"Hello? We are here solely on a recovery mission and have no intention of actually fighting, but if you keep attacking we will keep defending us. Please stop."

(( not gonna work, I know ))
If they refuse to stop attacking, I fire bubbles at the remaining fighter, and dodge incoming fire.
You look sideways at Bob, panicking in the middle of a stasis bubble, and sigh. "Bob, you're supposed to stay outside of the shield." With a snap of your fingers, the shield dissipates, and Bob falls to the floor. "Caleb, Gearhead, how are things going out there?"

Caleb shouts over the comms. "POORLY! VERY POORLY! I think those bastards killed Gearhead! Get out here and help, please! I can't do this by myself!" He sounds close to panicking again.

Fortunately, Gearhead speaks up just then. "Guys, im somewhat fine. At least not dead as far as i can tell. Unless the universe is playing a cruel joke on me and this is actually some form of Hell."

You sigh again - this time longer, and louder. Your work is never done. Leaving one of the squids in a stasis bubble, you turn and run toward the exit, past Ishmael, who is rushing back into the room.

Almost immediately, you stumble, trip and fall. Your leg is positively on fukcing fire. Those mini-spike-grenades really did a number on you. Groaning, you pull yourself to your feet, clutching at your calf, and toss a stasis bubble behind you as a makeshift shield as you start limping in the direction of the exit. You've never been particularly good with pain, and this is no exception, but you will yourself through it, crossing through the entrance room where the weird dude had been, down the hallway, until you get to the entrance - where you stop short.

A hiltorel podship is drifting out above the low dunes to the west, trying to fire shots at Gearhead, who is in the last functional turret over on your right. Laser trails and plasma scorches pockmark the area outside the nacelle - and Caleb is down, badly wounded, slumped against a stack of crates just beyond your ship.

Suddenly two powerful plasma bolts strike the ground near the entrance, tossing up dirt and scorched debris - you get back into cover and wait a moment, and then, as soon as the coast is clear, move towards your CASKET as quickly as you can, climbing clumsily into the cockpit and dragging your wounded leg behind you. As you slide into your seat, you hit the controls to take off. "Hello?" you radio, hoping for a diplomatic end. "We are here solely on a recovery mission and have no intention of actually fighting, but if you keep attacking, we will keep defending ourselves. Please stop."

The response is swift: a laser beam cuts its way past, flickering in the dusty air, and carves a gash across your ship. You're able to hit the thrusters to move yourself to the side just before it reaches your cockpit - a close call. You return fire - a stream of bubbles from your bubble blower - and control it with your mind as it sweeps and curves to dodge Gearhead's AA fire. With some careful maneuvering, you manage to position your bubble stream so the podship flies directly through it - and then you sweep the remaining bubbles around the back, hitting it in the engines. The ship stutters, its engines and thrusters weakened considerably from the assault - and stalls just long enough for Gearhead to hit it with a powerful burst of AA fire. The alien ship breaks apart, splintering, and comes crashing to the ground.

That's some fine teamwork.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#725
"Nice shooting, Gearhead. But, er, is Caleb allright? He doesn't look very good...
Also, does anyone have painkillers and a coag shot left? If Caleb doesn't need it more, I mean... my leg kinda really really hurts."
Dammit Left Leg, why can't you be more like Right Leg? She doesn't start bleeding every time someone attacks us! Maybe I should have you replaced as well!
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#726
Dinosawer wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:17 pm
Also, does anyone have painkillers and a coag shot left? If Caleb doesn't need it more, I mean... my leg kinda really really hurts."
"Caleb left some painkillers on the floor inside the nacelle, Warrior."

"Gearhead, Esteemed Engineer, I am glad you are fine. Please see to our injured. I myself might need some patching-up after we are done here. The Lord deemed necessary to give me a new hole on my face, but I think he did a botched job of it. Also, be advised that we've accepted the surrender of the Hiltorei here."

((Such humour is actually within the FSM teachings - FSM is a god that's probably perpetually drunk, and sometimes fails, and is not afraid to admit it :ghost: Man, I've learned so much about the FSM I should start a fickin' congregation :ghost: ))

To Hiltorei: "You are free to go, or you can stay and help us free your comrade. Our medicine does not work on Hiltorei, and he may be badly injured. Be ready to help him. After that, I advise you to take your spacecraft and go. This place is about to be recovered by our ship."

"Bob-boss, a piece of bad wall fell on the friend-squid in the other room. I make the piece of bad wall light, and you take it away and punish it good. What do ye say to that?"

I am bleeding badly....but I should give confort to those who need it more first...for I am merely a vessel through which the Lord reaches out.

Release the squid.
Go deeper into the nacelle,
Locate the injured squid
AND use my Gravity Amp to make a comfortable low-gravity zone around him.
Wait for the metal piece to be removed.
IF nobody removes the metal piece,
do it myself.
Ask the injured squid where the red box is.
Look around for interesting stuff.
Ask the injured squid (and all the other squids) what is going on here and what are all the boxes with the danger sign on them.
Use Charismatic Amp if necessary.

IF attacked again,
Get into cover.
Last edited by outlander on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#727
One less threat of murder with duct tape against me. One less target other than me for the Hiltorel to aim at...Damn.

"Brom, I tagged on of them with a tranquilizer before they managed to get away, and from this position I can see neither them or any other threat right now. After making sure that Vynkor won't bleed out yet, I can try to carry her. No need to have her lie around where someone may stumble over her."

I'll need to take a closer look at that sword later...unlikely though, one of those buttons might be dangerous to me without proper handling...
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#730
Ok Mr Ishmael

Free the squid by lifting the piece of wall and pulling the squid from under it.
Ask the squid where I can find the box.
Go get the box and put it outside the nacelle and tell saoirse that it is there
Run back to my casket and power it up

When I'm attacked:
- find cover
- defend myself with my crowbar if the attacker is in melee range, otherwise use my minigun on the attacker (never exceed the attack limit)
Last edited by Cha0zz on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Image
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#731
F4wk35 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:13 am
"Brom, I tagged on of them with a tranquilizer before they managed to get away, and from this position I can see neither them or any other threat right now. After making sure that Vynkor won't bleed out yet, I can try to carry her. No need to have her lie around where someone may stumble over her."
"Oh excellent work, Frank. Bravo. Very well done. I was worried they'd give us a hard time after we splattered them with the gravgun, but now that you've knocked one of them out, I like our chances. The other splattered squid shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I'm sure you'll receive further congratulations from the commanding officers on the Nemesis for our retrieval of a half-dead and unconscious squid.

We'll have time to properly celebrate your amazing victory later of course.
For now, with the squids down we can finally complete our mission and get out of this hellhole.
Gene, you run back and grab the harnesses. Get Vynka's too; I'll be using it since she's currently unconscious.
After you're back we can get on with the mission.
Now assuming we've dealt with the last of the squids here, we should only have the automated defense systems to deal with.
I want you all to be on your guard though. These squids are crafty little freaks. I wouldn't be surprised if they had an ambush set up further in.
Once this is all over, we can collectively tape Vynka to one of our hulls provided she's still out of it when we're ready to go. We'll get Miles too if we're not being rushed."
Image
Breaker of fortune cookies
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#733
I stare blankly at the table for a moment. It all seems so normal...like everything used to be. Like it never will be again.
I feel a pang in my chest as I cautiously step forward and take my seat, not touching the food. Even with him sitting across from me, I find myself unable to meet my father's eyes.
What do I tell them? How can I tell them? I stare glumly at my plate, struggling to talk past the lump in my throat as I attempt to say the words that will bring my family's perfect world crashing down around them.

"I did, Mom. But not anymore. I don't think i could go back if I tried...everyone's dead. I failed."

As I speak, I never look up, not wanting my parents to see my face, to see how close I am to breaking down at the loss of my friends, of my dream. I find myself dreading their responses, Mom's concern for me, Dad's...FSM, how will he even respond? I know he saw combat, but nothing like what happened to me...at least not that he ever told me.
Image
Post

Re: REKT: BTE Mission 1: Nanyej Colony

#734
Hema wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:46 am
F4wk35 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:13 am
"Brom, I tagged on of them with a tranquilizer before they managed to get away, and from this position I can see neither them or any other threat right now. After making sure that Vynkor won't bleed out yet, I can try to carry her. No need to have her lie around where someone may stumble over her."
"Oh excellent work, Frank. Bravo. Very well done. I was worried they'd give us a hard time after we splattered them with the gravgun, but now that you've knocked one of them out, I like our chances. The other splattered squid shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I'm sure you'll receive further congratulations from the commanding officers on the Nemesis for our retrieval of a half-dead and unconscious squid.

We'll have time to properly celebrate your amazing victory later of course.
"What the... What about my amazin' victory!? Didn't y'all see what I just did? Frank just got a lucky shot, he probably dun even properly killed that squid, I'm the one that scared the crap outta them and got 'em to run away!"
Image

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: Dinosawer and 1 guest

cron